“great vfm”
Review of The Ship

The Ship
Ranked #1 of 1 Parkgate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife & I eat here regularly, this time we shared the olives & bread starter, quality dipping oil & balsamic not sure if the salad dressing stuff fits, would prefer more oil & balsamic, very enjoyable all the same.
For mains we both had the rib eye streak, the chef here knows his stuff, as always perfectly cooked (med rare) the chips were outstanding... triple fried maybe?
The trimmings, (tomatoes & mushrooms) are just enough, the cherry tomatoes being a welcome change from the usual large single tomato plunked on the side.
The only let down is that there are only two sauces on offer neither of which are red wine based.
Apart from that it was great, staff are friendly and welcoming without being overbearing, all in all well worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The reasonably new look Ship at Parkgate has an excellent menu and a good selection of drinks including the locally brewed trappers hat.
The situation is fabulous looking over the Dee marsh with all the wildlife at the lagoon. Dogs are welcome in the outside sitting area, with heaters and dog treats included.
Would recommend it for a enjoyable lunch or evening meal.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2013

As we live in Parkgate we've enjoying several good dinners at the Ship since it came under new management. BUT.... they really came into their own when we held our evening celebration here following our wedding last month.
Nothing was too much trouble; Lydia and the rest of the staff helped make it a day to remember. From welcoming those of our guests who were staying the night to decorating the room it was all "spot on". We'd asked for a bacon buttie and chips buffet but as we had 3 wheat intolerant guests as well as a vegan and a vegetarian "adaptations" had to be made.......... Lydia's "can-do" attitude was wonderful and made everything so stress free for us.
Our guests had booked a total of 8 rooms for B&B and without exception they were all impressed with what they got for the price.
So a great big THANK YOU to Lydia, the chef, Mikes (x 2) and all of the staff at The Ship, Parkgate!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This is a very busy gastro pub, for want of a better description. Would advise booking; ask for a table near the window to take advantage of the views. We went on a Friday evening arrived about 6.45pm and overheard a couple of ladies who were on the way out commenting that all the tables were booked. Don’t know if they couldn’t get a booking for dinner or they thought they couldn’t sit down and have a drink. You can sit at any of the tables with a drink until about 10 mins before reservation time as we have done in the past. Didn’t have starters. I had rib eye steak for main meal which was ok. I asked for medium to well done as I don’t like it too pink but it was a little dry as the steak itself was quite thin. The meal was presented well but warm, not hot. Husband had Thai curry which was piping hot and he said was lovely. I had the Panna cotta and strawberries for dessert. When it arrived it was, in my opinion, thick custard shaped in a panna cotta mould: half a strawberry cut in two and four raspberries. OK as desserts go but it was not like any panna cotta I have had in the past (I’ve had many) or indeed made myself. So have to say not what I was expecting but attractively laid out and maybe a bonus if you’re a fan of cold custard. Lovely staff; nice wine; buzzing atmosphere. No problem asking for the bill but had to flag someone down to collect payment after about 15 mins. Table next to us had to go to bar to get their bill and pay. You have to keep in mind when eating here it is a pub: gets busy and noisy (sometimes very). Waiting staff have to work through the throng to get to your table. It is not a restaurant. Would we eat there again: probably not. Would I drink there: definitely.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wiggie
Reviewed 30 September 2013

we took my father in law here for a belated 83rd birthday ,knowing we would be looked after as have stayed a couple of times before.
friendly greeting ,lovely clean rooms
had a meal in the evening ,super food and good service ,even though they were very busy
good breakfast and again friendly service
will be back soon

Room Tip: I love room 24 it over looks the dee estuary and has a bay window sill
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

I'm very lucky to call this place my local. Having recently moved to Parkgate I have eaten here on too many occasions to count. From a delicious burger and a pint, to a three course meal this place can hold its own on both accounts. Friendly staff and really reasonably priced food.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I thoroughly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a change from the usual Travelodge, Premier Inn type of accommodation. We were visiting Chester and Port Sunlight for the weekend and this was an ideal location . . and what a location; with stunning views across the Dee estuary to the hills of North Wales. It is a mixture of a pub and an hotel and has a lovely atmosphere about it. The rooms are clean and adequate and the food absolutely fabulous served with a minimum of delay by a friendly and welcoming staff. The Manager is particularly helpful and friendly and always has plenty of time to talk to you in between helping his staff too. Overall it presents a warm, comfortable and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parkgate
Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Ledsham
The Jug & Bottle
The Jug & Bottle
#1 of 1 in Heswall

Been to The Ship? Share your experiences!