“Nice view - average food”
Review of The Ship

The Ship
Ranked #8 of 15 Restaurants in Parkgate
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Sitting out on the terrace in the sun, you will have a nice view, but also the inside has a very relaxed atmosphere. Maybe the outside tables could have done with a clean, but certainly the staff was friendly and attentive. So far so good. But to be honest, the food was missing the extra little touch, the little surprise in taste, that was suggested by the price tag. Don't get me wrong, it was fine, but not exciting. For the price we paid, it was average.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I opted to eat in the hotel, something I normally wouldn't do as there are so many other good eating places in Parkgate, however the duck served on savoy cabbage with pancetta, with some Dauphinoise potatoes sounded good and with a glass of Shiraz, went down nicely. The duck was well cooked, a little pink in the centre and the savoy cabbage really tasty. The potato was over salted, (as was my scrambled egg for breakfast the next morning) but tasty for all that. At just under £15 I didn't think it was bad value. The wine was just as a Shiraz should be and my aperitif of an orange infused Tanquery gin and tonic, enjoyed sitting on the deck outside, looking over the water to the Welsh hills, was spot on! Yes there were some typical 'pub' meals like Fish and chips, but this was delicious.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

We got a table in the seating area outside which was a bit grubby and the table needed a clean, but we should have checked first to see if it was a non-smoking area (it wasn't). Ok selection of beers and my white wine was. Husband has the unfortunate experience of standing next to a man who vomited over the bar which spilt the mood a bit, but the staff dealt with the situation quickly and cleared the mess so thumbs up to them. Just unfortunate as I'm sure it was a one-off but it did put us off.

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

The food was delicious - The menu choice was excellent and when it arrived was absolutely delicious!
Stuffed figs with goats cheese
Lite bites size fish and chips
Incredibly fresh and very tasty

Reviewed 6 June 2018

Thought I could rely on the Ship – my partner and her friends have been frequent visitors and it is on our doorstep so why not? I had business associates visiting from the south and thought I would treat them to the best pub food for miles around…oh dear. Staff / service / venue all excellent. Food especially for the price charged, dreadful. We had things to discuss, and we were not there to be the paying quality control consultants for the Stange Group and my guests were too polite to complain.

They ordered steaks, I had a sandwich.

The steaks – an oval plate; at one end a grey oval (presumably the steak), at the other end an amorphous yellow grey mass – I think described as a form of potato – in the middle a hot tomato.

The sandwich – two slices of dry bread, a couple of prawns I’m sure I recognised from the back of home freezer, a few bitter green leaves and a little pot of purple mayo stuff. All edible but completely devoid of presentation, imagination, taste and value – just these three items was around £40 – No , I kid you not, £40!

I will wait until I hear good reports before visiting this or any other Stange premises again, but certainly at present the Ship cannot be trusted to please let alone impress.