“Very nice hotel”

Hotel Restaurant Sonne
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Gengenbach
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I'd have rated them 5 stars had the hotel put us in a room in their main building (as I'd requested on my original e-mail request). I just wanted a view of the world's largest advent calendar from our room window. We were in room 31 in the annex around the corner from the main building. The room was perfectly fine and actually more modernized/renovated than the main building. The room was large with a couch, table, and a couple of chairs, very clean, had a mini-fridge, and a good sized, clean, modern bathroom. We were also able to park our car inside the garage below the room so we didn't have to bother with finding a parking spot (which was a bit more difficult than usual due to Gengebach's Christmas market).

Breakfast was very good despite the fact we did breakfast at 0930, kinda later than usual. There was still plenty of bread, meats, and cheeses to choose from before they started packing up at 1005. And before they took anything away we were asked if we were finished or not. And still we were able to have capuccinos instead of regular coffee.

Don't forget to ask for your Konus Karte upon arrival. The card allows unlimited free local bus and train service in the Black Forest (except for high-speed ICE trains). Gengenbach has a nice Christmas market which was the reason for our visit. From there you can train to Villingen (we did) and/or Freiburg to visit their markets as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelmeisteren

Reviewed 16 October 2013

During mid September 2013 I stayed at the Hotel Restaurant Sonne in Gengenbach for three nights. Gengenbach is a small, medieval Black Forest town with wall towers and lots of half-timbered buildings. Saint Mary's Church and the Rathaus are beautiful attractions in the Marktplatz. Gengenbach is also located on a main rail line so it is very easy to travel for free with the Konus GasteKarte to other towns such as Triberg and Villingen.

Hotel Sonne is located an easy one half kilometer walk from the Bahnhof. By request my single room was located in their Guest Haus behind the main unit. Silke was very pleasant, helped me with my reservation, greeted me upon my arrival and showed me to my room on the third floor. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable had W-LAN and was a real value in price. The Hotel Sonne breakfast was excellent and well presented with breads, jams, cheeses, meats, eggs, juices and coffee. The hotel staff was very friendly and saw to all my needs. I really liked Hotel Restaurant Sonne and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I personally liked the Guest Haus behind the main unit as it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Bill_Carmel
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Initial impressions were not fantastic, as a woman who was clearly sick gave me my key and told me how to get to my room-but did not show me where it was (it was in another building!). However, I really liked this place.
When I had problems with the WiFi the first night, one of the chefs (the owner or his son?) came straight to my room from the kitchen, and spent ages trying to solve the problem. It could not be resolved that night but he found me a place to use my laptop anyway, and by tomorrow it was fixed.
The room was large and comfortable, with a big TV. The bathroom was tiny, but clean and more than adequate.
The breakfasts were excellent, fresh bakery products and a large assortment of other food. Beautifully presented.
Overall I would certainly recommend this place-excellent value, great location, close to the train station and less than 100 from the town square.
The area around Gengenbach is beautiful-Schiltach in particular. A holiday here is highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank VVV77
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Probably the best in Gengenbach. Ideal location nearby the city hall and 5 minutes away from the railway station(on foot). Don't forget to ask for the Konus Karte(we took the train to Baden Baden, Freiburg and Triberg free of charge.Extremely friendly and helpful staff. We took the 4 Gang überrachungsmenu which was really delicious.
We spent 3 nights in the annex building with locked garage; The room was very large,quiet, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MagdaD D
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Unfortunately we were a little disappointed in this hotel. The website promised more than it delivered as although the room was fine, the stairs and landings are very dark and very scary if the lights go out. We did not see any of the family or staff on arrival and had to let ourselves into the hotel. This was OK but the next morning at breakfast the staff made no real contact with us and there was not the usual friendly atmosphere we have received in all the other German Hotels we stayed in. The breakfast was good but on the whole we did feel let down after seeing the well presented out website. Gengenbach itself is a delightful town with all its medieval buildings etc.

Room Tip: The ones at the front have good views over the town.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is a pleasant hotel, well positioned in a lovely friendly town. We had a room in the guest house slightly away from the hotel. The room was comfortable and quiet. Because we were not in the main hotel and only went in there for breakfast we felt a little isolated. There may be value in an English guide to the hotel facilities in the room with a particular focus on the how the guest house related to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I visit Gengenbach 2-3 times a year on business, and the most recent time both hotels I normally stay at were booked up. The extremely low prices had me a little wary at first, but I was pleasantly surprised with all aspects of my stay.

For a family run guesthouse, this was really good. I'm always a little embarrassed at my lack of German but the staff were extremely helpful and friendly in helping me find my way around as well as booking taxi's etc. Obviously somewhere for €40 a night isn't going to be full of luxuries, but the room was huge and comfortable, with cheap, reliable wi-fi as well. It is located perfectly right in the centre of charming Gengenbach. Noise isn't an issue as it's not really that type of town!

I would look to stay here as my first choice when I next travel to the area, mainly because of the extremely good value.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gengenbach
Schwarzwald-Hotel Gengenbach
Hotel Ritter Durbach
Hotel Ritter Durbach
#1 of 4 in Durbach
Hotel-Restaurant Hirsch Berghaupten

Been to Hotel Restaurant Sonne? Share your experiences!