“Friendly staff, good value, holiday with a difference!!”
Review of Blue Horizon Hotel

Blue Horizon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Svoronata
Devon
“Friendly staff, good value, holiday with a difference!!”
Reviewed 4 October 2008

We booked our holiday at the Blue Horizon several weeks before travelling & had some great advice & tips from another TA member. (Thank you Nicky)
The hotel was as we expected, clean & basic & the staff were extremely friendly & helpful in every way they could be.
The big surprise for us was that we were the only two people staying at the hotel!! In fact the hotel would have closed for the season on the day we arrived had it not been for our booking.
I must stress that at no time did the staff make us feel like this was a problem for them... but for us it was very different to any other holiday we have been on. Unique in fact... to have an entire hotel to ourselves... and we certainly had undivided & individual attention!
The Blue Horizon is well situated for walks to tavernas, restaurants & beaches all of which we found to be lovely. The area is peaceful & relaxing & a great base to tour this beautiful island.
We enjoyed watching the planes coming & going from our balcony... They were not so frequent as to be a problem.
Breakfasts could possibly be improved by some variation, but were as expected.
Transfers (by taxi) were a bit of a rip off!! We paid 17 euros from the airport & 20 to go back!! (3 kilometres max) Next time we would hire a car to collect from the airport for the duration of our holiday, as everywhere is easy to find & the roads & hotels are (fairly) well sign posted. Greekstones car hire were very helpful & can be booked in advance on their website.
Finally, in summary, we had a great holiday!
I think that being the only two guests meant that we got to know the staff, particularly Costas, who was our evening host, really well & we enjoyed our late night conversations with him & thank him for his hospitality & humour.

• Liked — Friendly staff, value for money, location of hotel.
  • Disliked — Nothing major to dislike.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Catford
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Me and my boyfriend spent a week at Blue Horizon and I would definitely recommend it.

On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by a very friendly Nikos, who then showed us to our room. I had booked a twin room with a sea view, and had emailed Nikos prior to arrival to confirm we had a room with a sea view. His prompt reply told me he had reserved a double room with a sea view, and when we arrived, we were not dissappointed.

The room was large enough, and the shower was ample. The view from our balcony was great. As mentioned in other reviews, the hotel is fairly close to the airport, so we had planes flying past our balcony. This did not bother me in the least, as I love planes!!

We booked a hire car from Hertz in England, and collected it at Kefalonia airport. Cost for 8 days was £145.00, and then you pay 50 euros for a full tank of fuel. A car is recommended, as Kefalonia is a beautiful island to explore. We went to a different beach everyday, starting with Myrtos beach, which is beautiful.

All in all, I would recommend Svronata for a relaxing holiday. Its a great base, whether you decide to drive around the island, or just spend your time lazing around the pool. There are two beaches within walking distance, Ammes and Ai Helis, both good beaches. The planes fly over Ammes beach, which didnt seem to bother anybody on the beach. If you havent guessed, I loved it.

We also visited Makris Gialos beach which is near Lassi, I would say this was my favourite beach.

We didnt eat at any of the local tavernas, choosing to drive into Lassi and try different tavernas. On our first night, we went to Butlers House. The food was ok, but we didnt visit that one twice. Our favourite place to eat was called Faidra (spelt Phaedra), and we ate at two other restaurants nearby to Faidra, but I cant remember what they were called. The fod was good, and the staff friendly in all the tavernas.

There was no entertainment whilst we stayed at Blue Horizon but that didnt bother us, as we were returning quite late every evening, and sitting on our balcony. We went to the hotel bar once, and it was a good atmosphere. The other people in the bar are regulars and we didnt feel left out. Again, Nikos was helpful and when I asked for a spare pillow whilst I was drinking my wine, he went and got me one straight away.

This hotel suited my boyfriend and I perfectly, as it was quiet, with great views. Also very relaxing. I would definitely stay there again, and I would recommend it to anyone. If you need any questions answered, please do contact me.

• Liked — Great view and location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicky40Catford
Shaftesbury
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed in the hotel for 2 weeks having just got back. As previously stated, Nikos, Costas and Peter were all very helpful. The planes were slightly more frequent than we had been led to believe however we found it quite a feature - probably not apprecieated if you live near Gatwick! Rooms were good and clean. The air conditioning was extra and had a tendancy to flood the balcony making it a tad slippery. The island was excellent. We hired a car for 5 days which is probably a must any more than a 7 day stay. Transfers cost 18 Euros. We paid for all in and probably paid over the odds for the transfer as you can see the airport from the balcony. All in all, an excellent holiday and if I ever repeated a holiday I would return here. I would however take a box of cereal as the breakfasts were fairly dull consisting off boiled eggs, bread, jam, cheese and meat.

• Liked — Friendliness/see view
  • Disliked — Breakfast choice
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
uk
Reviewed 25 July 2007

Stayed here couple of weeks ago, value for money it was excellent. Very clean room, staff were brilliant and helpful ( Nikos & Costas ). Very close to airport , but a novelty watching them land as there are not too many. Nice beaches and restaurants within walking distance. Hiring a car is a must to see the island ( svoronata is quiet ) - Greekstones were an excellent hire company, they give you a map and tell you about places to visit. The hotel is no more than 5 mins from the airport - don`t do what we did, pre book a taxi transfer - £50 !!
We went everywhere around the island, it was beautiful, would go again, very hot at the mo, lot of fires out there.

• Liked — clean, staff, proximity to sea
  • Disliked — no fridge in room
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Southampton
Reviewed 19 September 2006

I would recommend this Hotel to someone who is on a budget. My boyfriend and I went to Kefanlonia in July for 2 weeks, we did have a good time there. One of the downside of this Hotel is that it's right next to the airport, so can be quite loud also in the evenings. The Rooms only have twin beds, which can be pushed together, but they were not very comfortable. We felt that 5 euros for airconditing per night and 7 euros per week for the safe were a bit of a rip-off though. The worst thing about this hotel is the breakfast it consists of old bread, jam, cheese and watery ham. However, for the money that we've paid it was probably good value.

• Liked — It was cheap
  • Disliked — Staff were unfriendly
  • Tips/Secrets — Rent a scooter or car to get around the island.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tina2007

Travellers are raving about these Svoronata hotels

Horsham West Sussex
Reviewed 19 September 2006

Stayed here last week, 10th to 17th Sept 2006, four of us, excellent.
Very clean, bright and not too big, family run hotel.
Staff where always polite and friendly, will help you with any request - just ask
Lovely pool, has a small childs splash pool as well
As with the other reviews it has plenty of good resturants within easy walking distance as are two lovely beaches
Small mini market approx 100 mtrs
The food at the hotel was very very good, ask for the Chicken Sandwich, as a snack, you`ll get a large long roll, strips of grilled chicken with salad and chips, loved it........
Must haves: Car hire - Kefalonia is dazziling
(Paid 195 euros for 5 days, Ford Focus)
A good island road map
Take tea/coffee making gear (none in the rooms)
A great hotel on a great island

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — No fridge
  • Tips/Secrets — Hire a car
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Flightteam
staffordshire
Reviewed 29 August 2006

We have just returned from having a wonderful weeks holiday in Kefalonia and staying at the Blue Horizon Hotel. It has been one of the best holidays that we have had, and we have been on many. The hotel was extremely clean and well maintained with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. There is a large pool and small baby pool.
Tavernas are within walking distance (AMMES always cooked lovely meals) and there are two beaches close by where you can purchase food and drinks etc whilst on the beach.
The airport is extremely close which is brilliant for the transfers and it is facinating watching the planes coming into land as you are sitting on the beach etc. Not many fly in and out so it doesn't become a nuisance.
We took our five children ages from 3 yrs to 18 yrs and we all had a brilliant time. If you are looking for the traditional uncrowded beach holiday where relaxing is the priority then this area provides exactly that. I usually return from holiday needing another to recover from it but not this time as it was just perfect.

• Liked — Extremely clean and excellent air conditioning
  • Disliked — Basic continental breakfast but a full one can be purchased for two euros extra
  • Tips/Secrets — Walk through iron gates of hotel next to Blue Horizon to access childrens play area and road leading to tavernas and another beach
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Happyang
Also consider these accommodations in or near Svoronata
Irinna Hotel
#5 of 19 in Lassi
Avithos Resort
Avithos Resort
#1 of 7 in Svoronata

Been to Blue Horizon Hotel? Share your experiences!