“Simply the Best”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Svoronata
Towcester, United Kingdom
“Simply the Best”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a 7 day stay with my teenage son at Avithos, and I can say without a doubt that in 30+ years experience of holiday hotels, this is simply the best!

From the first e-mail booking exchanges with Christina some months ago, to the final lift back to the airport, Nico and his team were the perfect hosts - nothing was too much trouble, and everything done with a smile!

Attention to detail was superb - how many hotels produce extra sunbeds and shades on request at 2 in the afternoon) - and the staff couldn't have been friendlier! (I note a previous lastminute.com booking remark re bar prices, but this isn't a budget hotel and Kefalonia isn't a budget island - you get what you pay for - and the hotel prices aren't excessive!). My favourite detail example was that the normally black iron drain covers had been painted gold - even in the service road at the back of the resort! That is the standard Nico sets!

Our room was spotless and the beds perfect and very comfortable..... and for the first time ever in a Greek hotel, everything worked and was in tip-top condition.

I honestly couldn't fault the place. Nico and his team run a first class holiday hotel. It's not fancy or pretentious, it's just a lovely hotel, good quality hotel that hosted my son and I just as I like to think I would host my best friends at home! I can't put it any better than that!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rowan S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

If you're going to Kefalonia this is the place to stay! The reviews are 100% correct in that Nikos and kristianna cannot do enough for you and genuinely care about their guests. For example, upon arrival at reception at around one in the morning, I realised that my passport had fallen out of my pocket in the taxi. Nikos immediately called all the taxi firms and asked for a message to go out on the radio and within half an hour it was back at reception. They will give you lifts to anywhere local, give you advice on the island and book trips/excursions (would recommend the kayaking)! Couldn't ask for better service. The hotel itself is kept spotless. Our room was at the front and was very large, with a balcony overlooking the gardens, a modern bathroom and huge comfortable bed. The hotel isn't in an urban area so practically no traffic or noise. The pool bar is a bit expensive but there's lots a lovely restaurants less than a fifteen minute walk away that do traditional Greek food at reasonable prices. All in all, if I go back, this is where I would stay. My top tip is to hire a car and get out exploring, lots of lovely beaches to find!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MrLancaster
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

After all the great reviews I was really excited to stay at Avithos resort for my holidays. I went with my sister and 4 year old nephew for a week stay, having booked it through Lastminute.com. When we arrived we had a correct but by no means friendly greeting. The blonde lady at reception immediately asked for the accommodation voucher, which I must say I'd forgotten to print, as I'm not used to having to present vouchers when I've booked other trips online. Then she said it didn't matter and we were curtly shown to our room, on the second floor. The room was nice enough, with a little balcony overlooking the front garden and the parking, but the furniture is very outdated, and the mattress wasn't great.

Tired from the trip we went to bed early, and for an hour and a half we could hear the car doors' being slammed as people went off to and back from dinner. Needless to say it wasn't a great experience, so next morning I tentatively asked if there were any other rooms available that didn't overlook the car park, being aware that in high season it might not be possible. The same blonde woman looked surly, checked through the bookings and said that there was a room available at the back that was going to be ready for other guests but that she could exchange for us. When she went to show me this room she argued with me that she didn't think the room we were in was noisy, that it wasn't a busy road. I repeated that it was actually the doors being slammed, not the traffic, but she didn't take well the request at all.

Next day again we had killer looks from her when we told her that my nephew had unfortunately wet the bed, so we avoided her for the rest of the week, feeling very uncomfortable in her presence.

The swimming pool and gardens are lovely, but the pool bar is extremely expensive and nowhere near the quality of the other places near the resort. I got charged €8 for a plain burger in a bun, and the burger wasn't even very well cooked.

The new room had a better mattress that the first room we were at (thick foam rather than springs), but the pillows were huge and very hard, and some mornings we would wake up with neck pain. The bathroom was more of a wet room and the whole thing would get soaked after having a shower. Also, when opening the back windows we could hear the very loud ?extractors' noise coming off the wall, so this wasn't great either.

The best people at the resort were undoubtedly the cleaners, who did an splendid job every day, and were the ones to approach us with the friendliest attitude.

We only had dealings with Nico a couple of times, he gave us a lift from the beach one day and moved the suitcases between rooms. He did seem very friendly as well but we had very limited contact with him.

At check out the same blonde woman (my nemesis!), asked me again for the d_ed voucher. I ended up emailing it to her in haste, having lost my patience with her at this point. Then we had to pay €48 for two breakfasts, and when I presented my card she asked me if I didn't have anything else. Really? This is my last day and I'm on my way to the airport to go back to England, no I don't have anything else.

All in all she made our holiday bordering on the unpleasant, we would certainly never go back there.

One tip if you go to Avithos beach: if you fancy a beer avoid the beach bar and head to To Enetiko taverna, where you can get a 500mL bottle and plastic glasses for €2.50, rather than €4.50 for a 330mL bottle at the beach bar.

4 Thank Rebeca P
NikosAvithos, Owner at Avithos Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest
Firstly thank you for choosing Avithos Resort for your holiday and I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your holiday as you expected. Now I feel the need to explain some things and, needless to say, apologize for any bad behavior on our behalf. We try to constantly update our interior, services and products in order to meet all needs, but as you understand this is not always possible. We will definitely take into consideration all your comments and remarks as they are very important to us. As for our colleague, she had no intention to cause you any problems, but on the contrary she tried to please you as much as she could,by changing rooms,according to your prefrences and try to make your holidays better.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you in our hotel again sometime and make the best out of your holiday! We appreciate the review as it was built to improve us.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

When we booked to go to the Avithos resort we didn't believe that all of the amazing reviews that we'd read on Trip Advisor could possibly be true! However, we have just had the most wonderful 10 days there and returned home yesterday with the knowledge that we'll definitely go back next year. We travelled with our two children (9 & 7) and they say that it's the best holiday that they've ever had! Nikos and Christina are always on hand to help with any problem - for example I'd left my phone charger at home so Nikos lent me his - and they will give you impartial advice on the best places to go, beaches to visit, restaurants to try etc. We did hire a car so that we could see lots of the stunning beaches and sights that the island has to offer and I would certainly advise doing this (the resort will arrange this for you for a reasonable rate of between EUR 30-40 per day depending on the type of car) however, for visiting the local restaurants and beaches etc they will always give you a lift. Our room was a maisonette which was absolutely immaculate and cleaned beautifully every day. We had a lovely and sizeable terrace which caught the evening sun and had views over the beautifully kept gardens. You are also provided with a drying rack on the terrace so that you can dry wet clothes etc. There is a small kitchenette in the room which was perfectly adequate if you wanted to make your own meals although the local restaurants are so good that we went out almost every night. The pool area was clean and tidy and the bar serves delicious snacks throughout the day. Breakfast is also excellent with lots of choice. To sum up, if you want to visit Kefalonia and haven't decided where to stay then look no further as I guarantee that you'll have a fantastic time.

Room Tip: Our room (220) was lovely - we didn't see any of the other rooms but when we talked to other gue...
3 Thank Helen J
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at the Avithos resort for a week and I couldn't fault one part of it. Nicos and the staff are amazing and went over and above what their jobs are. Angela on the pool bar during the days was amazing and makes some great lunch! The young guy on reception in the evenings was also very helpful and made some great recommendations to us for Argostoli and they did not disappoint! The rooms were cleaned daily and were spotless and the housekeeping staff are very friendly. Kitchens are stocked with all the basics you'll need for self catering. The pool and grounds are beautiful and all maintained to a very high standard. There are a few lovely restaurants within walking distance or it's just 15 euros to go Lassi or Argostoli where there are loads of bars, cafes, restaurants etc.
You can hire cars which would make exploring the island easier as the resort is a bit off the beaten track but we just wanted a week to chill out and relax. This was perfect for that and I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just as others have said - lovely small hotel with nice pool and friendly staff. Clearly a hit with families and couples of all ages. If you have young kids they will love it. Free wifi everywhere. We had a standard upstairs room (213) with small balcony. The bigger rooms at the back of the hotel looked delightful with own gardens and bigger balcony or terrace. Beds are very comfortable, good quality bedding too. Could have done with more clothes storage but no big deal. Air conditioning in room very efficient. Kitchenette - fully equipped, including two-ring hob, microwave and good-sized fridge. Bathroom small but adequate - no bath, perhaps some of the bigger rooms have a bath? Hairdryer not great, would take my own another time. All areas of the hotel and the grounds were kept spotlessly clean and tidy. Breakfast - lots of choice, good opportunity to try some different food. Coffee from a machine was not too bad - you can pay extra to get a good cappuccino. Pool bar serves snacks throughout the day - salads about 7 euros, excellent chips! It would be marvellous if they had a really good restaurant on site for the evenings - but there are places to eat within walking distance, and they are more than willing to drive you to and from the two tavernas at the beach at night. Expect to pay between 40 and 50 euros for 2 dinners and drinks. Supermarket down the road sells just about everything and is open all day. Beach/pool towels available at reception for 1 euro each. Nice bars and shopping in Argostoli - we went on a Tuesday evening when the shops stay open late, there was a good atmosphere around the main square. We had a quiet week with no sightseeing on this occasion, so location was great for us - but if I stayed again I would hire a car and explore the island a bit. Suggestions? A good hotel restaurant, free bottled water, free pool towels, bigger shower, nicer toiletries, some bookshelves in the indoor bar/lounge for guests to leave their holiday books! But it's a great place - Nikos and his team work hard. Believe the reviews and go!

1 Thank Stevie65
London
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at the Avithos resort in mid June. Airport transfer can be arranged by contacting the hotel via its website. Cost is 15 euros each way and is only 10 mins taxi ride.

We stayed in a family deluxe suite on the upper floor. Rooms were clean and spacious for the two of us. The kitchen area was equipped with fridge, microwave and all utensils. There was also a small safe, full size ironing board and iron. There were two TVs (upstairs and downstairs) but the reception was not great. A mosquito plug was also provided. Good air conditioning both upstairs and downstairs. Views from our balcony were stunning. A nice resort with pretty well-kept gardens. A friendly service was provided throughout. Breakfast was buffet style with a good selection of hot and cold options.

Towels for loungers at the resort is 1 Euro per towel and can be purchased at reception. You can keep your towel until you need a new one when you will be charged again.

The hotel can arrange tours of the island but these only go on Wednesdays and if not enough interest they don't go at all.

A taxi to and from Argostoli is €15 euros each way. There are a few shops off the main square and a small picturesque bay. You can have a coffee or lunch in one of the cafés along the bay and watch the fish and turtles (worth going just to see them swim by).

Restaurants in Avithos are limited. Our two favourites were only a 15 minute walk away. Dum Spiros restaurant, turn left and left again as you come out of the resort. Go straight ahead at the crossroads and Dum Spiros is a few minutes’ walk from there. Very friendly service and food was good with generous portion sizes. Would recommend the tzatziki and the Moussaka.
Another restaurant we would recommend is the Avithos Taverna. Turn left and then right going towards Avithos beach. Beautiful sea views. Good size portions. Would recommend the meatballs with rice and the lamb souvlaki.

Supermarket: turn left at the hotel entrance and left again left and follow the road round until you get to the crossroads, then turn left at the crossroads. Supermarket just a few minutes on left hand side. It is small but has all the essentials.

Avithos beach is 15 mins walk. Lovely sandy beach. Cafe nearby including public toilets. Lounger hire is €7 for 2 includes a parasol and small table.

Late check out is available if rooms are available. It cost us an extra €30 and we were able to stay in our room until we needed to leave for our flight.

Overall for us the resort was in the perfect location. Beautiful and peaceful surroundings and walking distance to the beach and restaurants. Staff within the resort were very friendly and we would definitely recommend staying at the Avithos resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ISG20
Also consider these accommodations in or near Svoronata
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
#2 of 7 in Fiscardo
Kefalonia Bay Palace
Kefalonia Bay Palace
#4 of 6 in Agia Efimia

Been to Avithos Resort? Share your experiences!