“It just keeps getting better...”

The Mermaid Balti House
Ranked #17 of 31 Restaurants in Bungay
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Norwich
“It just keeps getting better...”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

If you visit this excellent Indian Restaurant tucked away in the last place you would ever expect to find an Indian Restaurant PLEASE keep it to yourself. don't; go writing a review on Trip Advisor. Keep it our secret.
We started visiting when it first opened last year and have found the food to be consistently excellent. all meals are freshly prepared and that can occasionally lead to a bit of a wait when the place is rocking. And Rock it does on a Friday and Saturday evening. It's packed. We prefer it on quieter nights - having said that even Monday evening was lively.
The management and staff are very attentive and noting is too much trouble.
Do take a look at the desserts menu. It is definitely not the traditional Indian selection of blocks of ice and fruit based tasteless tatt taken straight from the freezer an popped into a specially shaped ceramic or plastic container. These are proper desserts.
The ambiance and atmosphere is a delightful combination of country pub and modern Indian restaurant. Toilets are really impressive and there is a lovely wardrobe to put coats in!

• Visited February 2014

Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Impressed”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Went to the Mermaid Balti with 3 friends last night and we were all impressed. I have been to the Mermaid a number of times in the last 40 years when it traded as an eating pub. The decor hasn't really changed making an interesting ambiance for an Indian restaurant. The tables are large, well spaced out and nicely furnished. The food was delicious with the best poppadoms we have ever tasted. I had a lamb pakara and the lamb really tasted like lamb. We all agreed that it was one of the best Indian meals we have ever add and at one of the cheapest prices. With 2 rounds of drinks, poppadoms, starter and main course with several side dishes, we split the bill at £21 per person. Just one criticism. It has never been very warm in the Mermaid and this hasn't changed. It was a cold evening and we were all glad that we'd dressed in warm jumpers.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Jill S
London, United Kingdom
“At last - an Excellent Indian restaurant with a twist or 2 !!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Wow. We know our indian food and restaurants...but this was truly exceptional.

1. Excellent service.
2. Best food ever tasted - with a talented chef.
3. Different experiences on the menu - humous and naan bread / Olives.
4. Buffet options offered 5 days a week.
5. Proper English home made deserts...such as sticky toffee pudding.
6. Plenty of room so not crammed and loads of parking.
7. The cleanest toilets ever....with loads of different soaps in the ladies.
8. Best coffee ever tasted in an Indian restaurant.
9. Free after dinner drink offered.
10. Lovely personable owner who ensured a great meal was had by all.

This new restaurant only opened in March 2013 but already is gathering a firm following.

We would highly recommend it for adults and also those with children.

1 Thank geocachegang
Halesworth
“Lovely Evening Out”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I visited the restaurant for a pre-Christmas outing with some friends from work. I was a little bit wary as I had driven past a few days before and it didn't look very inspiring from the outside. However, the whole experience was lovely.

The restaurant is very pleasantly decorated inside but retains it old character. The staff were friendly and helpful.

I am currently on the weight watchers plan so I was a bit worried about how much 'damage' I could do with an Indian meal, so I chose to eat from the buffet as I would be able to control how much I ate. The food was beautifully cooked. One of the dishes I had was a Chicken Korma and the chicken just melted in the mouth. The buffet is filled as you order so food isn't left sitting around under hot lamps which is great.

I was a little surprised by the very 'english' deserts, but they were very tasty, if a little over generous. One of my friends ordered Spotted Dick with Custard, however the kitchen had run out of custard so they didn't charge for her desert which I thought was a nice gesture.

I would definitely recommend a night out here.

1 Thank MCC911
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Fab, Fab, Fab!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We love, love, love this Balti House. Visit every fortnight atleast, wonderful atmosphere and staff. Food has always been lovely, always ever since our first visit. Quirky and fabulous interior design! Highly recommend this little gem hidden in the countryside!