“A hidden jewel”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“A hidden jewel”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have visited The Mermaid a few times, when it was a quirky roadside pub and painted very pink on the outside! But I hadn't been for quite some time until a friend told me it was now an Indian restaurant well worth visiting. He wasn't wrong!

It still looks pretty much the same inside as in days gone by, but it is a very pleasant place to satisfy your "ruby" needs, with well cooked and spiced food, very good service from welcoming staff and all good value to boot!

I will definitely be returning and will also be recommending The Mermaid Balti House to my friends.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank AleDrinker2014

“Excellent food”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Been there for a romantic night I found the food and the service excelent. Everything was outstanding. Very tasty and prepared in detail. The waiter was amazing and always make me laugh. Definitly recommend and it will be one of my first choices for a meal out. Don't miss it you won't regreat it.

1 Thank Maria G
Bungay, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

For my birthday I was treated to dinner here with my family. Lovely, service was polite and efficient whilst still being friendly. Food was great, even cooked off the menu for me.
The lamb phal is to die for.
Great meal, great service and they deliver!
Will definitely return and recommend to friends

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Am260
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Acceptable curry but not the real thing”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

After hearing lots of good recommendations about his place I was looking forward to something special. We had a table early Friday evening and on arrival it was already nearly full. Promising start.
I should mention that the location is on a road between villages so its impressive that it was very busy. The mermaid used to be a rural pub which served great real ale, I was hoping this would have continued but alas, the usual bland suspects; cobra and ipa smooth flow...where does it say that all indian restaurants should serve generic, flavourless lager? This restaurant is surrounded by countless real ale breweries in Norfolk and Suffolk so no excuses. My partner had a watery house white wine.
Being a 'Balti House' I tried a balti dish. It was nice but not authentic. Balti should be aromatic with earthy spices. This tasted like a typical curry from typical indian restaurant. Serving it with a naan bread does not turn it into a 'Balti' dish. As I said, it was tasty but if you have made the real thing or been to a real balti house then you will be disappointed. My partner had king prawn tikka, nice big prawns, tasty but hard to get wrong.
We did not fancy dessert so I asked for a masala chai. Unbelievably, none of the waiters knew what this was. Indian spiced tea? Come on guys! So easy to make but not on the menu so could not do.
All in all I would say this was a reasonably good indian restaurant on par with the better ones in Norwich, but certainly not the best curry house outside of brick lane. They do a lunch buffet, maybe the dishes are more authentic at this time.
The waiters were very attentive and pleasant.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank MD1080
Bungay, United Kingdom
“Brilliant! A Indian Gem In The Countryside”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Been coming to this restaurant now for quite some time and i just cant fault it !
It is by far the best Indian restaurant in the area i know because we have tried them all and the mermaid is just that bit better!.
The Staff are awesome friendly and treat you like family the minute you walk in the door! every time we go we book and every time we get into the restaurant it is always very busy! a sign that it is obviously doing well!.
They run a buffet style service which is great value and there menu is stacked with choice.
The deserts are without question the best i have ever had in any Indian restaurant not your usual tasteless banana and icecream.
Will be going back very soon for another great meal with friends!

• Visited March 2014