“Great for what it is”
Review of Hotel El Atlantico

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rio Hondo
Hotel El Atlantico
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rio Hondo
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed at El Atlantico as part of a medical volunteer trip for 7 nights and were prepared for a rustic experience. It's a schlep from Guatemala City (~3-4 hours), but conveniently located for day trips to Zacapa, which is what we were doing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the good service, lovely pool, and free wifi (in the lobby). The cabins were clean and always well made, have AC (amazing!!), and lukewarm shower water (which is appropriately refreshing for the climate). The food is fine - fairly typically Guatemalan, heavy, but a good variety of options. Drinks are cheap and unremarkable (can't go wrong with Gallo). Nice grounds with plants and animals, but beware the bugs!! They will bite you if you're anywhere near the grass or pool.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank gkincaid

Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We just stayed at Hotel Atlantico and had a nice stay. Our room was one half a duplex and was basic, pleasantly decorated and clean. The pool area is awesome. The food at the restaurant was excellent but we spent nearly as much on dinner as we did on the room. This is a great place to overnight if you are headed too Copan and don't think you can make the border crossing. (It's about two hours to the ruins. )

Our only complaint were the roosters crowing at night.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We were on a family trip on June 22, good that we were able to make reservations on time,
the Front Desk clerk was able to keep our luggage in a little storage room and when we came back from Chiquimula, they had 4 rooms all together. they all are almost the same. The weather is HOT and dry. The swimming pool and the restaurant service by the poole are great.
They have late check out fees between US$10.00 and US$40.00
Nice gardens, nice birds all around.
Bring your beach towels.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Albertousky
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I've stayed in this hotel on 3 occasions while doing medical mission work in Zacapa Guatemala, each stay was about 7 nights. While my experience may have been slightly different because I was part of a large group that uses the hotel often, I have really enjoyed my stays. The rooms are nice and large and have AC. The new complex is especially nice, even with hot water which the cabins lack. The grounds are a quite nice, with well-kept gardens and a flock of birds they keep (including a peacock for some reason).The pool is a gem to have there, but the surface definitely needs to be cleaned more often. The food is good, the drinks are OK, but overall, you won't find anything better outside of Antigua or Guatemala City in the country.

Room Tip: The new complex is better than the cabins.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bc31
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I had to stay one night in this hotel on my way to Quirigua. My experiences were varied: the hotel is located in a really strange place: outside the gate is dust, heavy traffic, a stop for all kinds of buses and lots of cheap comedors, inside it's a lovely garden with bungalows, a huge pool and two small ones, and shaded outdoor seating. The girl at the reception couldn't care less (and her attitude was especially strange in Guatemala where people usually are very friendly). My room in a bungalow (no 11) was quite basic, and soundproofing was bad as usual, I could perfectly hear my neighbours watching tv at 2.30 a.m. There was a birthday party in one of the conference halls, but they also placed a loudspeaker outside the building (god knows why, the party was all inside), so the tranquillity of the place was totally ruined. When I complained, they turned down the volume a little. However, the restaurant staff was very friendly, the food was good, and the pool was great, huge, just the right temperature and clean.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Try not asking for a dinner 15 minutes before the chef leaves the hotel. The food they will serve you will be cold!!!! terrible experience. The worst is that the people at the front desk and the waitresses did not care.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sergio C
Reviewed 23 June 2010

A couple of friends and I got the tradition of coming to this hotel every end of the year. Every December we would pack our things and drive for two and a half hours in a heavy traffic just to get here. Why? Because it IS good.

This place is the perfect getaway to cut all connections with everyday life and just enjoy a day of swimming, relaxing and a couple of beers while in the beautiful swimming pool, the nice restaurant, or the great rooms.

I'm so sad we haven't been able to come back with my friends, but I sure will with my wife and post something again.

P.S. The BEST Seafood Soup I've ever had.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
Hotel Santa Cruz
Hotel Santa Cruz
#2 of 2 in Rio Hondo
Resort y Parque Acuatico Valle Dorado

Been to Hotel El Atlantico? Share your experiences!