“Dining”
Review of Rawley Resort

Rawley Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Port Severn
Reviewed 16 December 2013

An unexpected disappointing dining experience. Saturday evening, dinner for four: wine list decimated--many wines unavailable; no Olives on the premises for a martini (although server offered alternative a 'spicy pickle' that was good). Soup was fine (Butternut Squash).

Dinner choices were few, but was surprised to be offered Halibut with Baked Beans (not ordered--just surprised!). Rack of lamb was properly cooked, but cold; scallops were underdone and cold; steak was good and well prepared; all baked potatoes were cold.

Chef did come out and we told him; he was very cordial but suggested only that we should have made our comments sooner. (It is sometimes unwise to have issues at restaurants before eating!). all in all a disappointing dinner. The piano player was great (Eric) and very accommodating. Hard to understand lack of ordering obvious and sufficient staples during a busy season. Service was good and the server tried hard to please, but much was out of her hands. This was a dining only experience--the property looked lovely!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

It is clear that we did not live up to your dining expectations and for this we are sorry. Pleased be assured that your dining experience was discussed with all the staff involved. We appreciate your feedback so we can ensure this doesn't happen again.
We welcome the chance to change your opinion of our dining room and hopefully you will return and give us a chance to show you that we can do much better.
If you do decide to come again please contact our resort manager for reservations.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at the resort for a Christmas party and overnight in a suite. Great idea for snowy weather. Our suite 204 was immaculate and tastefully decorated. It was delightful to enter the suite to soft Christmas music playing and the fireplace glowing.

The food for the party was buffet style and very tasty. The atmosphere was festive and pleasant and the piano player was superb.

Our only issue had to do with a request that we made for our room during the reservation process. Unfortunately, our request for non-down pillows was not delivered and the front desk staff tried but could not locate any non-down pillows after midnight.

After an uncomfortable sleep and a good breakfast, we met with the owner and she resolved our concern/disappointment graciously. We left the resort satisfied and would recommend the property for a winter weekend getaway.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

thank you for your comments regarding your suite and your evening. We have shared your feedback with the staff to ensure that this situation doesn't happen again. It is extremely important to all of us that the service we provide is the best it can be and we want our guests to enjoy everything about their stay.
We are pleased that the matter was resolved to your satisfaction.
I sincerely apologize that we didn't meet all your expectations and hope that you will return again.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We recommended to our friends, the Rawley for their wedding. The wedding happened this weekend, and it was fantastic. Service, staff and food was all great. Great job Rawley...thank you for making a wedding day special. We stayed in W2. This is the loft condos. Amazing beds, amazing beautiful accommodations. Our views spectacular. A great place for your special day..

Room Tip: Stay in the lofts..
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

We all enjoyed this wedding. The wedding guests were wonderful and it was a great pleasure to attend to everyone. We strive to make our weddings here the best they can be. It is a very special time in the bride and grooms lives and it should be full of wonderful memories. for them, their families and guests.
We do hope you will return and stay with us again. A family reunion on their anniversary would be fun and we'd love to have your group back.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Impeccably clean, which was much appreciated. Nice modern furniture and fittings. Their website says they are an "all suite" resort, but our room was definitely not a suite. It did not have a negative impact on our stay, it is just an observation -- the beautiful view made up for it! Our only disappointment was that our room had one double bed. Too small for two adults and that did affect our comfort and we had two restless nights. I have clicked "terrible" under the category of fitness centre by mistake and cannot remove it. That is wrong. They just don't have a fitness centre and we were there at the ended the season so, understandably, the pool was closed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for your remarks about Rawley being impeccably clean, friendly staff and good food. These are a few of our many areas in our business that we strive to maintain to offer our guests an exceptional stay.
I am sorry that you were uncomfortable in your one night stay here. We only have one small room that is not a suite as all our other accommodations are either one bedroom or two bedroom suites.
I checked with our reservation desk and they felt that you wanted to be with your friends and that you were aware of it having a double bed and going to be fine with the choice as long as you were beside your friends.
I can understand that it is difficult to picture a room when making a booking but I wish that once you checked in you would have let us know that the bed was not a suitable choice for you. We would have looked after that immediately and been more than happy to change your accommodations right away since there were one bedroom king bed suites available at the time of your stay. Our goal is the comfort of our guests and we feel disappointed that we didn't meet that expectation with you.
We look forward to having you return to us for another stay and this time in a one bedroom suite.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have stayed at many Ontario Resorts & Inns through conference planning & personal vacations. This was my second visit and I have highly recommended Rawley to clients, associates and friends in the past. What attracted me initially to this property and what differentiates it from others is the level of sophistication reflected in the furnishings, artwork, guest room comfort, the adult-oriented environment & meticulous attention to detail on the part of the Innkeeper/Owner. The accommodations are simply beautiful.

That being said, while the property does not cater to young children as is reflected in the absence of children's programs & play areas/structures, I discovered on this visit, the reality is there can be and quite likely will be children on the property during the summer months, primarily associated with the boaters. Do not think of this as an adult resort similar to Sir Sam's Inn or you will be disappointed. It definitely is not.

While I enjoyed the accommodations, the Dining Room front line staff currently needs significant improvement. This comment is not reflective in any way of the quality of food, the presentation or the Chef's culinary skills. As lovely as the dining area is, the servers are sadly lacking in basic hospitality skills and personality- a hiring/training issue I suspect. I'm not going to go into details of our breakfast experiences, but the level of service I experienced was not reflective of a property holding the designation of a member of Ontario Finest Inns. As a result, I changed our dining plans which we were very much looking forward to experiencing and chose to patronize alternative restaurants. A disappointment indeed.

The resort definitely caters to boaters and that segment of their business undoubtedly generates substantial revenue. However, during my stay, the boaters took over the resort, some exhibiting little respect and consideration for resort guests. Given the property is extremely compact with less than 20 rooms & one small pool, it quickly became crowded and noisy, offering no alternative for those who preferred a quiet environment or for that matter, a pool lounge. There were many children and that quickly altered the property from being in a special class of its own-a quiet oasis away from everyday life - to one resembling the average Ontario summer resort. It reminded me of what I dislike about Deerhurst. This was a huge disappointment.

We booked a cruise at Christie's Mill for the following day for a little relaxation and to get away from the undesirables. I was so thankful I did not choose to reserve a Waterfront Loft. The anticipation of enjoying views of the water & blissful solitude would very quickly have been transformed into looking at a boat with numerous individuals wandering around the immediate area of my accommodation as I endured unnecessarily loud music courtesy of an inconsiderate who thought everyone at the resort should listen - all within a few feet of my deck. Experiencing it at the pool was annoying enough. So much for privacy and quiet enjoyment.

On a positive note, it is an easy drive from Toronto, we experienced pleasant & professional personnel-Michelle, Front Desk reflects a great first impression, Lisa, the new Manager who we spent a little time with sharing favourite vacation stories, Barb who we met last year - always smiling and congenial, the Chef who greeted us upon arrival - very charming! All the Housekeeping Staff who cannot do enough for you & Landscape Lady, the free spirit plus some very nice resort guests we had the pleasure of meeting.

Room Tip: Premium Waterfront Suites or Executive Waterfront Suite
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank KateWToronto
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

WOW
We pride ourselves on catering to a wide and diverse group of patrons and along with our design it is with this that our resort is so unique. We are happy to provide an exceptional holiday experience to all guests without prejudice.
If you had informed any one of our staff about noise or anything for that matter that was not acceptable to you all of us would have tried our best to assist you.
You and I had a wonderful conversation for quite awhile in great detail, and you never mentioned your disappointment to me at that time.
My personal thoughts are that no group-be it children, boaters, whoever, should be singled out, and or banned from any resort, hotel, restaurant, whatever. I think we all have to be more tolerant especially when it comes to children. Children are children. It's the nature of being young. I believe most children along with our visiting boaters are pretty much laid back and quiet. Most people only get a short vacation time and our business is helping them celebrate this time together whoever they may be.
Playing music does not constitute a violation of our regulations, however if it was loud you should have contacted the front desk and they would have looked after it immediately. Most guests would have been upset knowing that they were bothering you and would have been happy to correct the situation immediately.
All the staff at Rawley work very hard at being a proud member of the Ontario's Finest Inns and were extremely upset at your remark that we are not reflective of an OFI property. That's a very strong statement especially when it only came from one breakfast experience. Being a member constitutes many aspects of the hospitality business and we are pleased to have earned one of the highest scores in guest room/amenities along with the top 2013 property mark overall.
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, food, and our accommodations. It is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Port Severn to look for a restaurant; saw the Rawley at the main intersection and it seemed interesting.

I walked into the restaurant and it seemed very inviting, upscale decor, well dressed patrons, piano player and great setting. The only problem was, I stood at the receiving podium for at least five minutes and the greeter was absent.

I decided to explore the outside grounds and then return. The grounds are, again, beautiful and inviting.

I went back and still no host/ess and this time positioned myself at the bar, trying to get someone's attention; no one looked up.

I left.

Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank NORTHAMERICAN1
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

I am sorry that your experience at Rawley was not up to your standards. It certainly was not up to our standards.
This disappointing review is an opportunity to discuss this with our team. But before we do that we require more details such as the time of day, the day of the week and the date you visited.
I assume it was evening because you mentioned the piano player who starts his entertainment at 7:00 pm and that our patrons were dressed for evening dining.
Our host is not always at the podium as they are seating many guests on busy evening. They guide them to their table, present them with menus, and then they find the server to make them aware their guests are seated. I apologize for your five minute wait but please know that this takes a bit of time especially since they could have been seating many guests at the same time.
You visited us at the busiest time of the year and even though we try our best to serve everyone as fast as we can sometimes it is difficult to do so as every customer deserves our full attention.
Ninety five percent of the evenings I am always in the dining room area overseeing exactly what you are talking about. One of my pet peeves is a customer standing at the podium waiting. I am extremely unhappy why I missed not seeing you. Once I know the date, etc this would assist me in figuring out why and making sure it doesn't happen again.
I am going to e-mail you to see if we can correct this situation and have you return to Rawley and give us another chance to show you that we do strive for the best in personal customer service and we do care.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

The Rawley is easy to get to from Toronto if you want a few days away. Neat location just across from the Severn Locks, so boat watching is the most stress you'll encounter. The people, food and accommodations are excellent. Yes, the piano player was there...and very talented indeed!
Our only nits, one which is in the design and the other easily fixed......the AC units are in the bedroom, (rooms have living areas, which is where the units should have been placed)so you have to get used the noise. The other was the bread with dinner. With the chef being European, were expecting something a bit more interesting.
Can't forget the Spa.....very welcoming, clean and great services!
Overall, awesome spot.

Room Tip: We had 2nd floor in main building...corner unit looking out to water, with huge but cozy veranda. Th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Don B
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you for your remarks on the staff, food, piano and accommodations. These comments will be shared among our team.
It is clear that we have not lived up to your expectations and I can assure you your experience is not consistent with the majority of the feedback we receive in regards to our suites. We want our guests to have a pleasant stay so we strive to do our best to make that happen.
It is extremely important to all of the team here to know that our guests are leaving happy.
I have addressed your displeasure regarding the buns with Chef Andreas and I know he will make every concerted effort to improve on the buns.
Some of our suites, not all, have a/c units in the bedrooms. For the couple of guests that the sound bothers we recommend that they leave the fan running all the time. This way the sound is consistent and not turning off and on.
I hope that this did not have a negative influence on you so you will return for another stay at Rawley Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Severn
#1 of 14 in Orillia
Comfort Inn Midland
Comfort Inn Midland
#1 of 8 in Midland

Been to Rawley Resort? Share your experiences!