“Good old fashioned country pub”
Review of The Fleece Inn

The Fleece Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Bretforton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We ate here on recommendation from friends and were not disappointed.

The pub here is really charming and full of character and history. Low ceilings and old fashioned bar with outdoor seating and not having been made into a commercial gastro type pub.

The service for both drinks and food was really good with some good choices of ales and ciders. Food was excellent and dining was experienced sat around the old fireplace on traditional furniture. Definitely recommend booking ahead for a table as I saw three groups turned away in the time I ordered our drinks...

Would have no hesitation in recommending this for both drinks and food. Will have to plan a bike ride that includes Bretforton now!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
FleeceBretforton, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Many thanks for your review, we take great care in ensuring The Fleece remains a traditional ale house which retains its original features and traditional furniture, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you on one of your bike rides soon!

kind regards

Reviewed 20 July 2013

You could pass the village of Bretforton without seeing the main part of the village and this pub in particular. Make sure you find it.

The Fleece is owned by the National Trust (but it operates like any other pub) because of its age and details. The bar area is very small and there is a charming additional room to sit in. The hot weather at our visit meant everyone was outside in the pleasant grounds. There was seating close to the pub entance, an orchard area and a field with a marquee.

Many people were having meals which looked good.

We sat outside the entrance near the orchard and it seemed to be a mix of locals and visitors. There were a few excitable 20 year olds chuckng water bombs at each other - but when they got dafter and they wet one of my guests I had to take issue with them. The 'guilty' lad came over and apologised very politely. What a nice surprise.

The village itself is well above average. Within minutes of leaving the pub I was invited was watch the bell ringing practice at the church (very interesting) and then a few minutes later we were standing outside a little meeting room listening to the local brass band practicing Beatles tunes. The 2 women I was with were jiving in the lane and, to the band's surprise, gave them a loud round of applause - which was gratefully received.

I saw an out of date sign on a post re road closures for an Asparagus Festival. Brilliant.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nuf_said_11
FleeceBretforton, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Many thanks for your review, I'm pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Fleece Inn and the village of Bretforton, we are very lucky to be in such a lovely village, the band must have been practicing for the Bretforton prom we had this weekend. I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Went to a wedding reception here in 2012. Loved it! Such charm. Party was in the barn and following that headed into the pub where we were treated very well! Hope to get back there on a return trip someday.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
FleeceBretforton, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Many thanks for your review, glad you had a great time and hope to welcome you back to The Fleece Inn soon.

Nigel smith

Reviewed 2 July 2013

To cut to the chase - The Fleece is a hidden gem. Beautiful and earthy. Funloving and gentle, with a real sense of its own history. The locals have always been very wecoming and Nigel has obviously nurtured a fantastic, friendly, fun and lovely staff team who know their stuff with all things ale and culinary. The Fleece serves brillantly fresh, homemade, well priced food, hosts genius events - they also have a great ghost (with respect) - tis true. This is my first ever trip advisor posting on anything. It's not my usual style, as I have better things to do with my time. But I felt I had to say something when I read a review which totally misrepresented the place, suggesting it was tatty and trinkety. Nonsense, quite the opposite. There is a real respect for its heritage which seeps from every pore of everything it is and does. If the above is not your bag, then it's more than likely not for you. So shush now. Just shush.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ShushNow

Many thanks for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and sampled the Asparagus Ice cream which is made in Bretforton. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

The setting of the Fleece is beautiful and we sat and had lunch in the orchard. My partner had asparagus and butternut squash soup which he said was lovely and I had asparagus and hollandaise sauce and bread and butter which would have been very good if the asparagus had not been cold (it was however deducted from the bill at the end), we both ordered the beefburger but whilst eating our starters we were told they had run out so my partner had panfried chicken and I had ham cheese and asparagus I thought these were average and somewhat boring, the chips though were excellent and plenty of them. The food itself is not overpriced and neither are the drinks. The weather was superb the staff were very friendly so all in all it was quite enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had lunch at the Fleece Inn two times during our holiday in the Cotswolds April 28 - May 4. We tried some other pubs in the area, but liked this one as the food was good quality (although I cannot say I am a huge fan of the diversity of British cuisine), the atmosphere is great and service is also fast and professional. We would visit again:)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Set in a very pretty if twee village, the Fleece Inn is certainly a historic building well worth seeing - both the interior and exterior. It was an unusually fine and sunny day when I and a companion visited this inn and we had lunch outside in the quite extensive grounds. We ordered a half pint each of some of the interesting, and expensive, beers on sale and I was seduced by an alluring-sounding ham sandwich for which I paid a massive £6.50. When it arrived, it was nothing more than a ham sandwich with not very generous quantities of ham on it although I have to say that the ham was high quality and flavoursome. It was accompanied by a handful of crisps and a moderate amount of bog standard salad. Service was cheerful and, given the number of punters at the pub, reasonably efficient. When we had left the pub my companion realised that he had been overcharged by about 70p but given how busy the pub was it is easy to appreciate how a mistake could have happened. Despite the interesting setting and atmosphere we would not revisit The Fleece Inn again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank white_knight_and_dog
FleeceBretforton, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Fleece Inn. I am very sorry to hear your experience here at The Fleece Inn was not entirely satisfactory and that you felt you had too little Ham in your sandwich. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent food in a unique National Trust setting and I am dismayed this was not the case for you. May I offer you our apologies and hope you will visit us again.

Been to The Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!