“Beautiful Country Pub”
Review of The Fleece Inn

The Fleece Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Bretforton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had the good fortune to visit the lovely cotswold village of Bretforton and discovered this wonderful and ancient Inn nestled in the centre of the village. What a treat. Great selection of ales and the food was lovely and beautifully presented. The staff were very attentive and considering the quality of the food and the location, the bill was very reasonable. We discovered that the inn is owned by the national trust and has a fascinating history! If your in the area this is a must visit!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul L
FleeceBretforton, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review of The Fleece Inn, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope we can welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for The Fleece Inn

Reviewed 25 June 2014

we visited The Fleece as part of the Evesham Morris Weekend of Dance . We also enjoyed our visit in the afternoon so decided to go back for our evening meal. There was about 16 of us we were told not to order and couldn't book a table but we were quite happy to eat in the garden. We ordered food as soon as we arrived it came in totally different orders to what we had ordered at the bar. We ordered ours first in the group but we were the last to receive ours after complaining twice we had waited nearly two hours. The food itself was very disappointing for example side salad a few rocket leaves and half a cherry tomato.Also one of our party had asparagus soup which was just cream and had not had any asparagus in it at all,whwn questioned they said it had been liquidised so you could not see the asparagus but not able to taste it either. One waitress said they were very busy and had a back log but this was not explained until we had been waiting for over an hour. No one actually apologised or offered us any compensation we all paid in full left very very disappointed and will not return to eat there again. It is even more upsetting as we have eaten there before and always really enjoyed our food I think the pub is being too greedy and trying to do too much with too few staff and after seeing the other comments think they should have some staff training. I work with customers and have to deal with customer satisfaction on a daily basis this to me is a lot of very unsatisfied customers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Helen S
FleeceBretforton, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Fleece Inn. I was both shocked and alarmed to learn of your unsatisfactory visit; your experience was clearly unacceptable for which I apologise unreservedly. In over 30 years in the hospitality industry I have not had such feedback; I was particularly dismayed as I myself am a Morris dancer and involved in the organisation of the Morris In The Vale weekend. I have spoken with my staff in the most frank and candid manor to ensure your issues are not experienced by other visitors.
I hope you will accept my sincere apologies and the offer to dine at The Fleece with my compliments on another occasion, in the meantime I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the issues you raised if you could call me on 01386 831173 I would be grateful.
With regards,
Nigel Smith, Landlord.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We visited here as part of the National Morris Weekend in Evesham. We danced here during the day and liked the setting so much that 15 of us booked for an evening meal for 7pm in the Barn (which is separate to the main pub). It's a beautiful pub in a lovely setting.

We arrived just before 7pm and found the barn still shut. After finding someone to open the barn, we placed our food order at 7:10pm; 15 main courses. The pub was busy as there was a Mummer's Play and music session planned for that evening.

Our food took almost two hours to arrive - at 9pm. Completely unnaceptable. Lots of other tables came after us, had their starters, mains and desserts served and left, all before we got any food. There was no communication from the staff as to where our food was, how long the wait would be etc. We had children in our party who were of course getting very hungry, as were the adults! After much chasing of where our order was, and complaining about it, the food came out - almost 2 hours after we placed our order. This is completely unacceptable - we pre-booked, we placed our order soon as fter we arrived.

The whole place seemed very shambolic - there was no communcation that there would be a delay on food, no apology, no explanation. Even when my husband complained to the manager, there was no apology. She even said to him that they weren't under-staffed, which makes their communication even worse, the fact that no-one could come and explain to us why there was a delay.

When the meals did finally arrive, there was no cutlery, the pork was under-cooked, the steaks were mixed up so they both had to be sent back, things were missed off the order, most meals were cold, the chips were cold and wrinkly as if they'd been cooked and left out for quite a while.

After literally everyone in the group of 15 complained, we did not pay anything. However, we'd rather have had our meals provided within a reasonable timeframe, have had the order correct, have paid the full amount and had the enjoyable group meal that we set out to have.

All in all, it ruined our weekend. We will definitely not be returning here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank LittleStampede

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Fleece Inn. I was most upset to receive two reviews from large parties not receiving the quality of food and service from which I have grown a strong reputation. Rest assured I have spoken with my staff in the most frank and candid manner regarding the issues you have raised. Having been in the hospitality industry for some 30 years I have been taken aback by the poor service you and your fellow guests received. I was saddened all the more as I am a Morris Dancer and organiser of the Morris In The Vale weekend.
With regards
Nigel Smith, Landlord.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Having visited this pub (which dates from the times of Chaucer) years ago, I wanted a return visit having remembered it quite fondly. Very, very disappointed. While the building and grounds had not changed, the staff were very cold. The lady sitting next to us was told to be quiet due to a wedding happening in the nearby barn. The only clue we had that this was happening was a child sized blackboard with the wedding notice buried in a pot plant. Congrats to the bride and groom but boo to the Inn staff. We had a seriously quick drink (the bitter was awful according to one of our party) and decided to scrap plans to have lunch and moved on. Would not recommend which is sad given my memories of an enjoyable trip in the past.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sythie
FleeceBretforton, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The Fleece Inn, I am sorry your visit was not up to the standard which you had enjoyed in the past. I am frequently congratulated on the warmth and positive friendly attitude of my team; the member of staff to which you are referring has now left my employment. I was also disappointed to learn one of your party did not enjoy their ale; we are consistently winners of CAMRA Pub of the Year and have developed a strong reputation for the quality and choice off ales we offer. I would therefore be grateful if you would contact me to let me know which beer they had.
I do hope you will return to The Fleece Inn and that your faith in our hospitality can be restored.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

When you arrive at such a lovely and historic inn set in an idyllic village location, the last thing you expect is to find a group of foul-mouthed men sat outside, clearly the worse for drink. Presumably they were locals, but their loud, obscene language sort of took the gloss off our first impressions of the pub.

Drunks aside, there’s no question that this is a lovely and unique place. Owned by The National Trust, there’s a wealth of interesting, historical features preserved here in every room. The inn is furnished with authentic period furniture which compliments and enhances the unique atmosphere of the place.

We stayed for the night in The Master’s Suite, which overlooks the centre of the village. Obviously, in an old building such as this, we didn’t expect a large room and sure enough, it was pretty cramped but as it’s been converted to an ensuite B&B, we were at least expected things to work as they should. Bathroom extractor doesn’t actually extract, just makes a loud buzzing noise; not a huge problem in itself, but considering that the bathroom window doesn’t open, they should at least get the fan working! Also not working was the light over the bathroom mirror. Ok, only minor glitches, but annoying ones.

As for cleanliness, well I know it’s in a country location and no doubt houses a multitude of spiders, but some of the cobwebs around the landing and rooms looked like they had been there for a very, very long time.

Inclusive breakfast was excellent with plentiful, quality ingredients and everything was perfectly cooked. Evening meal wasn’t so good; food was pretty bland and pricy for such small portions so not particularly good value. If you want to charge high prices for food, then at least make sure that it warrants the cost!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trev2906

Thank you for posting your review of The Fleece Inn, I have noted your points regarding the extraction and light fitting and these have now been rectified. Your review did highlight my procedures for checking the B&B room was not as robust as I thought and have now implemented a new structure for ensuring the B&B room is checked more thoroughly. I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I am a retired professional chef and was invited to dinner at the fleece. We ordered salmon and also ham and asparagus, the service was quick and the staff very helpful, the small piece of salmon had four potatoes and a little salad, the two small slices of ham had THREE asparagus spears on it. Gras in the vale costs around £3 a round that is usually thirteen spears, the main course cost around £12. I appreciate the need to make a profit but this was way of the mark. I ordered cheese and biscuits costing around £6 three small slices of cheese (shop bought) nothing special six biscuits and branston pickle. The final straw was the coffee half a cup!. I think this pub is playing on its reputation there are lots of very nice pubs in the vale offering much better food at a realistic price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank bluedolphin2

Thank you for posting your review of The Fleece Inn. I am sorry you felt you didn't receive value for money; we have now introduced our summer menu and have taken your comments into consideration.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We visited the local Tithe Barn and thought to drop by here for lunch.Approaching the pub from one direction there's no sign for the Fleece ,we only saw it when we backtracked!

We found the staff very helpful.We looked around at the different bars and found them quaint and unspoiled.
I had a very well kept pint of Wye Valley bitter and we sat out in the garden watching swallows and swifts flying against a beautiful blue sky.It so peaceful sitting there. We shared a very good Ploughmans' lunch and a bowl of chips.We couldn't decide which Ploughmans to have so the staff kindly mixed it for us.Would definitely go back...it was like time had stood still !
I've ticked sleep quality below because the 10 minutes shuteye I grabbed in the garden was lovely!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
FleeceBretforton, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Fleece, we hope you will visit us again now you have found us.

Kind regards
Landlord

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bretforton
The Wood Norton Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!