I first visited this fort when it was derelict and though 'what a great place to convert to a hotel, thankfully someone else had this idea and the result is a stunning mix of contemporary and historic. Cecilia, the manager is great, very warm and welcoming - I injured my knee on the second day and she couldn't have done more to help. We watched a chameleon walk across the terrace, flamingos fly past as well as a variety of other wildlife. The peace inside the fort is unbelievable, with only 10 rooms it isn't busy even when full. There are several very good restaurants in Cabanas, a few minutes walk and the Forte has its own boat to allow you to go to the main beach or explore the national park. Will definitely be going again. The only things I would say are that all the rooms could do with air conditioning and this may not be the place to stay if you have mobility problems.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A guesthouse for nature-loving people. Set in the magical scenario of the Ria Formosa Natural Park and lost between sky and sea, this 17th-century fortress that is now a family owned B&B that welcomes nature-loving people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Forte de Sao Joao da Barra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Forte De Sao Joao Da Barra Hotel Cabanas De Tavira
- Forte Algarve
- Tavira Forte
- Forte De Sao Joao Da Barra Cabanas, Portugal - Algarve