I have just returned from a week's holiday at 'Golden Clube Cabanas' and I have to say first of all, that it isn't as bad as I have read on here. The hotel has free wifi in the reception and bar area and the drinks measures are exceptional (make sure you avoid the firewater if you don't want a burnt throat!). As for the evening entertainment, the Parrot Show we saw was fairly entertaining, if not a bit organised (not the hotel's fault). Due to the world cup being on that was the only event we saw, but according to other people the entertainment was good.
The service in the main bar was good, apart from the occasional unexplained closures with just a sign. The service in the pool bar was very slow, even with six staff working at once. That being said the bar staff were friendly and polite enough. However it was the reception staff, with one man in particular, were quite unhelpful, as they spoke barely any english. this was a reoccurring theme for most staff, who clearly need to learn more than just Portuguese/Spanish.
The room itself was fairly basic, which was too be expected. They really need modernising, especially the room my mother stayed in, which looked very Moroccan-esque. she suffered more problems than I, with the hot water not working on two occasions, no electricity one day, and even the boiler falling off the wall. yet these problems were dealt with on the day which was pleasing.
The only thing I was truly disappointed with was the food. The off-complex canteen offered just two choices for main evening meals, with the other options being the leftovers from lunch. This was a reoccurring theme, as some dishes went through various incarnations as something else, so you have to be careful with what you ate. They eventually put labels on the food, but did not include what the food contains, which led to a close encounter with eating peanuts - which I happen to be allergic to. they did offer to cook me another, but everything should be labelled as they could get into serious trouble if somebody falls ill.
If the canteen does not take your fancy, there is a selection of restaurants and a few bars down the promenade. there is also a selection of gift shops and one or two bars. The view is nice but it does seem very secluded. Head to Tavira if you want a more town-y experience as its a lovely little city only a short taxi/ bus ride away.
Overall then I would probably not come back here, not because it was bad, it was just not what I am looking for personally. Some people had a really great time, and others had a miserable time. If you go into it with low expectations you will enjoy yourself a lot more than if you have high hopes. It is what it is, so if you're looking for a quiet/ family getaway this is ideal - just enjoy yourself and don't worry about the imperfections too much!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Portugal and the Algarve still have much to be discovered.Imagine an Algarve with pristine beaches, an ocean as far as the eye can see, and a simply amazing light.Imagine an Algarve with unspoilt locations, unmatched natural landscapes and a feeling of total tranquility - this is the Sotavento (Eastern Algarve).The Golden Clube Resort encompasses in one single location comfortable apartments, outside pools, indoor pool (heated October to May), jacuzzi, steam baths, sauna, tennis, gym, workout room, childrens clubs, restaurants, bars and plenty of entertainment.With the Ria Formosa embracing the Atlantic Ocean and a beach that stretches all the way to neighbouring Spain - what better place to have your holiday?Discover Portugal in a dream beach resort. Welcome to the Algarve! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Golden Clube Cabanas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Club Cabanas Hotel Tavira
- Golden Clube Cabanas Portugal - Algarve