“Potentially great experience ruined by irresponsible attitude to safety and organisation”

Elemento Outdoor Adventure - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Love Adventure? We are the adventure specialists of Colombia. We run unique eco, community and high adrenaline experiences in the most diverse region on earth. Choose from our core activities of mountain biking, canyoning and vertical jungle trekking mixed in with genuinely fascinating ecological and community experiences. Or create a multi day unlimited adventure package from the top of the Sierra to the bottom of the Caribe adding surfing, freediving, sailing, kitesurfing, paintball, climbing, sport fishing, survival tours and off-road motorcycling. What are you waiting for? Live the dream with Elemento!
Santiago, Chile
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I did the el dorado 2 day tour tour with my 13 year old son a couple of days ago. Diego was a great guide. I paid an extra 100000 COP because there was just the 2 of us. The first day trekking was fantastic. Challenging enough to be interesting but not uncomfortable. We were shown the bikes the first day as we left them where we set off trekking and I thought they felt very "tinny" for downhill mountain bikes. Inclement weather was outweighed by the ambience and accommodation better than anticipated. The second day started on a high, the clouds having cleared to reveal an amazing view. The itinerary for the day was very well thought out, with some downhill trekking before downhill biking interspersed with a few side trips. My bike was very annoying on the side trips, chain kept slipping/falling off, even when I left it in one gear. Very frustrating but I wasn't going to let it ruin the day.
Later that day we were told we were joining up with another group... So much for the private tour, a family of four doing the one day cycle trip. I didn't mind until suddenly I had to choose between side trips because someone in the other group wanted to get back early for the soccer. We had discussed both sidelines (humming birds and chocolate making) the day before and I was looking forward to both... But whatever. On we went with the chain slipping about every 5 minutes or less on uphill stretches. The chocolate making was clearly cut to humming bird timing (the families split between the 2) and off we headed on the final leg downhill. We were a conservative bunch and going at conservative speed thank god, because the fork on the bike of the mother of the other family broke and she went flying ... She was badly grazed and needed to go to the nearby clinic, but fortunately did not appear to have broken anything serious . But only by good luck certainly not good management. As I am a doctor, I assisted by going up to the clinic while their guide waited for a car to pick up the bikes. I was able to reassure the family their mum was getting appropriate attention and would be fine. After some time athe car arrived with the bikes my son and our guide. There was not enough room for all so my son and I rode down with our guide, I was now about anxious about all the bikes. My sons bike had been causing the least problem but when I tried to get it from the top of the car instead of a random one they pulled down the driver refused to take the extra 5 minute ( or less - I was so cross but don't have the Spanish to argue) to get that bike, my son (at 13 didn't want me to embarrass him by continuing to fuss.
It only got better when we got back to the locked office where all our bags were to discover that transfer to our lodgings <2km away was not included. Couldn't of cared less if we didn't have all our bags but I would have left the bags at the lodgings before we left if I'd known
This trip has the potential to be fantastic with proper bikes and a slight attitude readjustment. But at the moment it is clearly VERY DANGEROUS.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Sarahoscarholiday

Michigan
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Basic downhill course was perfect.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Fun day. Diego spoke very good english. Basic course includes waterfalls which I jumped off all 3! also included is cocoa plantation and coffee plantation.

Visited April 2014
Victoria, Canada
“El Dorado hike 'n bike”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

One of the most amazing things I will do in my life!

The beauty of Colombia in this area is simply stunning.

Staff are amazing!

Visited November 2013
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best experience ever!!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and a couple of buddies did the Minca downhill mountain biking adventure and I can honestly say that was one of the most incredible experiences I have ever had. Diego was absolutely hysterical and very experienced and riding down the Colombian mountain ranges took my breath away! We also stopped at a coffee farm and cocoa plant which was awesome!

Great job guys and thank you for an unforgettable experience!

Sydney, Australia
“Excellent, full day”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Went with two friends, coming from santa marta. Registering was quick and easy and drive up (45 mins) pretty interesting. Started biking straight away, back down the same road. Fairly standard dirt road but heaps of fun. Coffee plantation a nice detour but waterfalls were the highlight, amazing place. Two of four people fell off, unfortunately no elbow guards although some looked available, might be worth asking. All in all an awesome day full of experiences.

Visited April 2014