“Danger: Elemento Outdoor Unsafe, Caused Injury” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elemento Outdoor Adventure - Day Tours - CLOSED

Elemento Outdoor Adventure - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Love Adventure? We are the adventure specialists of Colombia. We run unique eco, community and high adrenaline experiences in the most diverse region on earth. Choose from our core activities of mountain biking, canyoning and vertical jungle trekking mixed in with genuinely fascinating ecological and community experiences. Or create a multi day unlimited adventure package from the top of the Sierra to the bottom of the Caribe adding surfing, freediving, sailing, kitesurfing, paintball, climbing, sport fishing, survival tours and off-road motorcycling. What are you waiting for? Live the dream with Elemento!
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Danger: Elemento Outdoor Unsafe, Caused Injury”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We recently did a downhill mountain biking tour with Elemento Outdoors with disastrous results.We were having problems all day with the bikes (slipping gears, falling seats, brakes not braking well) and the guides admitted that the bikes needed a round of repairs. They have OLD BIKES in need of replacement, not just repair.

About half-way down the mountain my WIFE'S BIKE LITERALLY BROKE! The fork that holds the front tire simply SNAPPED (see photos)! Her bike collapsed from under her at greater than 25 miles per hour, she pitched forward onto part of the paved road, and was injured badly though it could have been much worse.

I have ridden 10's of thousands of miles and know dozens of cyclists and I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A FRONT FORK BREAKING. We paid the company for a fun and SAFE adventure but got inferior equipment. The bikes are too old and in disrepair and the management never once bothered to apologize or even take responsibility.

To make it worse we A) Had to alter our trip plans, missing out on the Ciudad Perdida hike due to the risk of infection of her injuries (see photos), B) Lost money on hotel reservations we had to cancel and C) All management had to say was since we had taken the tour (though obviously not all of it) we had to pay them. They offered no apologies or recompense for our messed up trip, lost hotel payments, etc., all they were worried about was getting their money.

BROKEN EQUIPMENT IS SOMETHING THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. My wife could have literally been killed (yes, people get killed in cycling accidents). The company should have had some sort of vehicle nearby in case of an accident (she had to climb on with a passing motorcyclist who had stopped and ride with him to a clinic in the nearest village), taken responsibility, offered apologies AND compensated us for having to alter our once-in a lifetime trip.

Visited July 2014
5 Thank Ride4fitness

Santiago, Chile
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Potentially great experience ruined by irresponsible attitude to safety and organisation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I did the el dorado 2 day tour tour with my 13 year old son a couple of days ago. Diego was a great guide. I paid an extra 100000 COP because there was just the 2 of us. The first day trekking was fantastic. Challenging enough to be interesting but not uncomfortable. We were shown the bikes the first day as we left them where we set off trekking and I thought they felt very "tinny" for downhill mountain bikes. Inclement weather was outweighed by the ambience and accommodation better than anticipated. The second day started on a high, the clouds having cleared to reveal an amazing view. The itinerary for the day was very well thought out, with some downhill trekking before downhill biking interspersed with a few side trips. My bike was very annoying on the side trips, chain kept slipping/falling off, even when I left it in one gear. Very frustrating but I wasn't going to let it ruin the day.
Later that day we were told we were joining up with another group... So much for the private tour, a family of four doing the one day cycle trip. I didn't mind until suddenly I had to choose between side trips because someone in the other group wanted to get back early for the soccer. We had discussed both sidelines (humming birds and chocolate making) the day before and I was looking forward to both... But whatever. On we went with the chain slipping about every 5 minutes or less on uphill stretches. The chocolate making was clearly cut to humming bird timing (the families split between the 2) and off we headed on the final leg downhill. We were a conservative bunch and going at conservative speed thank god, because the fork on the bike of the mother of the other family broke and she went flying ... She was badly grazed and needed to go to the nearby clinic, but fortunately did not appear to have broken anything serious . But only by good luck certainly not good management. As I am a doctor, I assisted by going up to the clinic while their guide waited for a car to pick up the bikes. I was able to reassure the family their mum was getting appropriate attention and would be fine. After some time athe car arrived with the bikes my son and our guide. There was not enough room for all so my son and I rode down with our guide, I was now about anxious about all the bikes. My sons bike had been causing the least problem but when I tried to get it from the top of the car instead of a random one they pulled down the driver refused to take the extra 5 minute ( or less - I was so cross but don't have the Spanish to argue) to get that bike, my son (at 13 didn't want me to embarrass him by continuing to fuss.
It only got better when we got back to the locked office where all our bags were to discover that transfer to our lodgings <2km away was not included. Couldn't of cared less if we didn't have all our bags but I would have left the bags at the lodgings before we left if I'd known
This trip has the potential to be fantastic with proper bikes and a slight attitude readjustment. But at the moment it is clearly VERY DANGEROUS.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Sarahoscarholiday
Michigan
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Basic downhill course was perfect.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Fun day. Diego spoke very good english. Basic course includes waterfalls which I jumped off all 3! also included is cocoa plantation and coffee plantation.

Visited April 2014
Victoria, Canada
“El Dorado hike 'n bike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

One of the most amazing things I will do in my life!

The beauty of Colombia in this area is simply stunning.

Staff are amazing!

Visited November 2013
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best experience ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and a couple of buddies did the Minca downhill mountain biking adventure and I can honestly say that was one of the most incredible experiences I have ever had. Diego was absolutely hysterical and very experienced and riding down the Colombian mountain ranges took my breath away! We also stopped at a coffee farm and cocoa plant which was awesome!

Great job guys and thank you for an unforgettable experience!