“Great way to see out 2013”
Review of The Nags Head

The Nags Head
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Having already eaten at the Bricklayers arms, which is the sister pub of the nags head, me and my girlfriend decided to try the Nags head for lunch on NYE. As much as I liked the Bricklayers arms, I think the Nags Head is better. It feels a bit more warming & welcoming when you walk in and the setting is lovely, perched right in the rolling countryside in the heart of the Chilterns. The service was excellent and despite the fact they were closing at 4, they weren't too pushy to get us out of there. I went for the fish and chips, which was delicious. The batter was lovely and crispy and the haddock was soft and flakey, just the way that fish & chips should be, with hand cut chips and peas on the side and a delicious tartare sauce. Then I had the fruit crumble and custard, which finished the meal of perfectly as the fruit was a mixture of sweet & sour. Even the bread was great, lovely and warm with home made butter. We paid £32 per person, which represents excellent value.I'll definitely be making a trip back there in the summer!

On the drive up there there are numerous banners voicing concerns about HS2. I sincerely hope that HS2 doesn't go ahead, because little hidden gems like this will really suffer if the government gives it the go ahead.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had a meal here on the Christmas menu. The food was really really good fillet steak was lovely. It may not be the cheapest place but the quality was excellent. The surrounds of the pub are really nice i would definitely go back again to eat.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2013

If you want something a little special then the Nags Head is worth a visit. Look for the slightly unusual - Pigs Cheek was very tasty! Busy lunchtime but the service was excellent and we were done in just over an hour - not that we were rushed by the staff - that was our choice and could have stayed as long as we liked.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed overnight with my wife for a local business meeting. The pub is very quaint and had a lovely atmosphere. The food is pretty good as is the service. We paid £115 for B&B which for the size room was a bit too much. The room (no.7) was the smallest I have ever stayed in. I banged my head on the ceiling lights and could not even lean over the sink to shave as my head hit the mirror and my backside the radiator. I would have burnt my butt if the heating was on - which is was not and the room was freezing on arrival. I think there may be bigger rooms but ours was not one of them! The bed was a standard double but very comfortable. The door is only locks with the key - so don't forget to lock it from the inside before you go to bed!

Room Tip: Not room 7 if you are over 5'6" or staying as a couple.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SteveKaryn11
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Spent a perfect evening at The Nag's Head, enjoying the late evening sunshine, drinking a delicious New Zealand sauvignon blanc and eating flawless food. The dishes were exquisitely presented and the quality was absolutely superb - the day's special 'Seafood Medley' (salt and pepper squid, crispy whitebait and rosemary skewered tiger prawns with a lime and curry mayo) was knockout! Lovely to be able to stagger upstairs at the end of the night - other reviewers have commented on how small the rooms are but really...how much space do you actually need?! It was furnished with quiet good taste, immaculately kept and more than adequate I would think for most people's needs. Service was excellent throughout and the young team genuinely warm and welcoming. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room 7 overlooks the lawned grounds and the cricket pitch beyond.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Charlotte Y
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 7 days at the beginning of June 2013.. the first room was too small, we found ourselves constantly bumping in to the furniture and each other. After 2 days we moved to a much better and bigger room, but " mind your head ! "....All the staff were
attentive ,friendly and helpful...Bacon and eggs , orange juice , toast & coffee were very good,.. . but my wife thought there was a lack of fresh fruit....On a few evenings we dined in and found the food very good , but with a tendancy to 'Nouvelle Cuisine ' ,which as a food style or presentation, I'm not happy with...

If the weather is kind to you, there is a spacious garden at the back with patio and comfortable seating...As an AA**** hotel, I think it should have a lounge,... as it is , you have only your room or the public bar area to relax in....

Price of some of the drinks at the bar was a bit steep, but maybe were average for the area.
Yes we enjoyed out stay at the The Nags Head, but have these two reservations, ....AA four star rating should have a comfortable lounge...I think the AA were a bit too generous with the stars !

Room Tip: avoid room 7 , just too small for 2 people....Room 1 was spacious, but "mind your head ! "
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MR-R-Robertson
Reviewed 28 June 2013

As other reviewers has said, the rooms are pricey for what they are. We have stayed in considerably larger, better-appointed rooms in pubs, and with better breakfasts, in the same price bracket. Our room (#3) was small but cosy, but the bathroom was very cramped and the bath plug was broken. The bed was ok, but the sheets were poor quality and starchy, whereas this sort of place normally has sumptuous bed linen. The fans from the kitchen below were noisy beyond 11pm and all of the rooms were hot and not well ventilated. Service at breakfast was mixed - the girl on Saturday morning was slow and not very attentive, but the bloke on Sunday morning was the complete opposite, maybe over-attentive, but it made for a much nicer experience. Of the three rooms our group stayed in, #1 was the best, but there was not much in it between #3 and #7 (#3 has a bath with shower over whereas #7 has a shower only, but #7 is quieter and out the back of the pub whereas #3 is by the road, although it was not too noisy). An enjoyable weekend break, just not as good value for money as other pubs with rooms can be.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Missenden Abbey Conference Centre
Origins at The White Lion
Origins at The White Lion
#1 of 1 in Great Missenden

Been to The Nags Head? Share your experiences!