“When its good, its good...”

Graziemille Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We went during the week and were the only ones there. It is a bit shabby, but I enjoy the 80's decor table clothes. It adds to to the atmosphere. I have gone a few times over the last few years, and we always liken it to the italian restaurant in Ashes to Ashes.

Once I have been and the food wasn't right, but this time it was delicious. The service had character. We all had a really good time.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Fernando Peire (IVY - Restaurant Inspector!) this is a GIFT for one of your shows! And not too far from London for the whole crew to assemble. They simply can't be making any money on this restaurant and it must be an absolute gold mine given the location and the wealth of the area!

We should have known it was a doomed meal when we asked for Campari and soda and they couldn't find any campari! And it's an Italian Restaurant!!
The decor is unbelievably awful, gaudy and overcluttered and shabby and clearly once was fab in a 1970s sort of way. The only thing missing from the tables were those old chianti bottles dripping with candle wax!! The menu - really really worryingly too huge. But promised to be authentically Italian. And very expensive for a pub - but this pretends to be posh nosh. The location - oh it really is fantastic. The Lee drips with picturesque English hugely expensive houses, and the pub/restaurant itself could have a lovely garden. Again it reeks of past success, with a now disused large barbecue area.

Menu - my 12 year old son had a steak which cost nearly £20. It was good and cooked medium rare just as he liked it. But the red wine and mustard sauce was so strong it overpowered the food (he said I make it better at home.... wow!) Husband had overpriced, very disappointing seafood pasta. My mum had the sea bass, which was grilled (overlong) and arranged on the plate to match the decor - that's 1970s once again. Disappointing. I had the ONLY fresh pasta from the extensive list - black pasta with salmon and cream and dill. No they didn't make this pasta in their kitchen. There was probably a good mouthful of salmon in the whole dish, it looked pretty on the plate - but my portion of fresh pasta was less than half the size of my husband's packet stuff. Weird. And it was absolutely swimming in cream - so I had to abandon it halfway through because too sickly and my arteries were screaming NO!!!

But the owner - and the staff - were honest, straightforward and very nice really. When they asked if we'd liked our meal and I gave them a truthful answer about my dish they took the whole price of it off the bill which was a surprise.

The owner has been there at least 25 years, and some of his staff over 12 years. If they are prepared to seek help and invest in modernising, updating and simplifying their menu they still have the chance to make a fabulous success of this pub restaurant. The bar clearly has regular trade, with lower prices and a different menu they could encourage all these potential diners too! good luck to them - I'll eat there again when they've made the changes.

1  Thank FamilyHolidaySeekers
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Surroundings need updating desperately and the food harks back to the 1970's. This place is stuck in a time warp!

Reviewed 5 January 2011

We visited the Graziemille Restaurant on 31st December 2010 for New Years Eve with a party of 15 which included family and friends. On first entering the restaurant at 8oclock we were struck how quiet it was to be honest. However, we all consoled ourselves that we had a delightful 5 course meal awaiting, Elvis entertainment and fireworks to look forward to and also the company of our good friends for the evening.

The first course was a type of salmon terrine and soggy toast or pate and soggy toast. My husband had flambed prawns which he chose not to eat as he didnt like the smell and he said they didnt seem right.The waiter did overhear his comments and did bring out an alternative of just ham and salami for him. The next course of Lobster Thermidor was quite truly awful. My brother and I both agreed that we were both quite easy to please with food but we both struggled with this dish and left it. The other diners on the table had a fish dish called Talapi? which to be fair they said was okay.

Our next course was Champagne Sorbet which was similar to eating chips of ice scraped out of the freezer and sprinkled with sugar with some champagne added and topped with a strawberry. The strawberry was nice. At this point all the adult diners in our party had unanimously agreed that the food presented so far had been disappointing and most definitely not worth the £65.00 per head cost.

However, we were being entertained by Elvis very well and still having a good time and to be honest if we left where would we go? We persevered with the food hoping it would improve. The next course was Beef Wellington and I did enjoy the beef very much.
The pastry didnt do it any justice, however, the beef and the accompanying vegetables were fine.

In the meantime I spoke to the waitress regarding mold which was cultivating nicely at the bottom of my daughters glass. Nice.

My other daughter and her friend had a pasta and butter dish and both plates were left untouched. The pasta smelt like burnt rubber and it was totally inedible. I ended buying a packet of crisps for both children and telling them to eat the bread on the table. The waiters didnt question why the food remained untouched so I told them it was inedible.

The next course was Baked Alaska and it was interesting. It looked like an arctic roll which had been bought from iceland, sprayed with whipped cream then shovelled onto our plate. And the final insult? The coffee was luke warm and not very nice at all.

We spoke to the waitress/owner at the end of the meal to tell her of our displeasure at the disappointing meal. 6 of the 8 adult diners agreed the food had been disappointing and not worth the near £1,000 bill presented. She was not best pleased and informed us that because we had eaten some of the food on the plates and that we had not been more vocal or been louder with our complaints there was nothing she could do as by eating some of the food we have accepted it. We should have left the food or not accepted it.

My husband said the food was so bad that his 9 year would say the food was ******* awful! Which in hindsight, he shouldnt have said! It was an expression of his frustration rather than a personal insult to her.. She then proceeded to insult my husband and his parenting skills and divert the conversation away from the poorness of the food.
She informed us she never had any complaints and was very glib and parried all our complaints beautifully.

I will say that despite the food, we had a brilliant time that evening. Elvis was in the building and he was very entertaining with his singing and MCing skills. We left the restaurant, hungry and poorer but we had a great evenings entertainment.

The next day I called the owner on the phone to repeat that the food had been very poor and disappointing. I did express that we all had a great time at the restaurant with the exception of the food! I have written this review not out of spite but because I have never ever complained like this before because I have never had a reason to until today.

3  Thank tezebel1000
Reviewed 5 January 2011

very disappointint with the food and the hygienic of the place l had mold in my glass ,we will not be going back,