“Rooms nothing special but good value”

Missenden Abbey Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Missenden
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Rooms nothing special but good value”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Pros: cheap, very close to Great Missenden, lovely Abbey (main building), well-stocked bar with friendly staff, free internet, great wedding venue, pretty grounds, solid breakfast

Cons: ugly additional building with small rooms more akin to University halls of residence, early breakfast and checkout (though late check-out possible for a fee).

Conclusion: we were there for a wedding and this venue was perfect. The rooms aren't particularly nice but the location and value outweighs this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had our wedding at Missenden Abbey on the 21st September 2013 and can honestly say we loved every minute of it. Our guests couldn't say enough of how professional and polite all of the staff were. We were advised our wedding co-ordinator 10 days before our wedding that she was leaving, so we were a bit nervous as what to expect, however we were that Cathy would co-ordinate our, and I have to say from the minute of meeting her I knew everything would be fine. We cannot praise Cathy and her team enough, they had absolutely everything under control. from the. food to helping me out of the car, to advising us where we needed to be when. The rest of the staff were polite and funny but respectful. We chose Missenden Abbey as it is a beautiful venue inside and out. And we were lucky to have a good day so made the most of the gardens after the wedding. Nothing was too much trouble, any suggestions we made were noted and acted on. I cannot thank Cathy enough for taking charge before the wedding and setting up all the decorations ect, freeing up my husband time. Yes some of the rooms in the external block, probably could do with a bit of work on them, which I 'm sure will happen in time, but for one night and at the good rate our guests really didn't mind. Our bridal suite was lovely, breakfast in the morning was hot and delicious and plenty of it. We will be looking out to see what events they have in the new year to go back. Had a brilliant day staff wonderful cannot fault the venue.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here the night before a conference. Room small, no way would two people fit in here. It was very basic but clean. Staff were okay but were nothing to shout about. A good hotel can be determined by three things.
1/ a comfortable bed..this was okay it was a small double. I could here people in the rooms around me, so not good sound proofing.
2/ a good shower - okay, not powerful but towels were at least fluffy.
3/ breakfast - had better, not much choice and staff were no where to be seen.
This is cheap and you get what you pay for, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I did attach this letter to Missendens sales office on Friday 6th September, you have not answered. this makes a total of two emails and two Royal mail letters with no reply.

On the night of Monday 2nd September I went to my room “Abbey 2” to sleep, I had been up since 06:00. At 22:00 when I lay down to sleep I could not due to a constant humming noise which sounded like a cross between a deisel engine/vaccum cleaner/a shower fan.

I wrapped myself a large white towel and left my room to see where the noise might be coming from, The electricity room behind my headboard was unlocked so I entered to see if the noise was coming from there. There was no noise from there. I was aware of the ducting adjacent to the electrical cabinet. I switched the fridge in the room off momantary to see if that could be the solution to stop the noise. It was not, as doing so made no difference to the humming. I knew the hum was more intense than a domestic refrigerator.

I returned towards my room and towards the fire extingisher station next to my door. I opened the door above the fire extinguisher and the noise was clearly audible within the brick void.

At this point I was so fatigued I decided to pack my case and leave the room for the reception as I could not stand to be in this room knowing I would need a full nights sleep for my next full working day of training at Missenden Abbey.

I arrived at the reception at 22:20, the security guard asked if I lived local, My journey had taken me 2 hours to travel to Missenden Abbey that very morning. He then phoned who I presume was his mamagement? To ask what to do as there were no available rooms to move me to. I even asked if you had any ear plugs.

An Irish Manager came to the reception and followed me carrying my own bags and case back up to my room to try and work out what the noise was. I said that it sounded like a vaccum cleaner and he said that staff were finishing off in the restaurant below and this could be the issue of the noise. When we entered the hallway, outside my room the noise was completely apparent. He then said that it could be the fans in the kitchen and he would go and ask the chef to turn them off.

This noise did not cease all night long. This noise could still be heard with my head under the water in the bath in the morning.

In the morning the receptionist took my key from me, she did not ask me if my stay was pleseant or comfortable or even thank me for the custom!

The stay at Missenden Abbey had made me feel unwell, through exhaustion and lack of sleep.

I would say that Missenden Abbey Management have purposefully ignored my letters, - in return I will make sure that I will make every opportunity to not say a good word about Missenden Abbey!

Room Tip: Not Abbey 2!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Balsom40

Travellers are raving about these Great Missenden hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

If you are disabled check the exits they are to small for a wheelchair to get out off, so you can only use 1 door to get out off
They say they can have up to 300 people attending check your fire route
Toilets are another matter only 2 for the men's told there was only three for the ladies.
And no baby changing area.
Reception staff are not interested in what you say.
The only person interested
Was the night porter What a very nice man !!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dave C
Cupar, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed for 2 nights for a conference. As previous reviewers have said, it's okay for single delegates as the 'double bed' was squashed against the wall and no space for bedside table. Bed was comfortable but room was very warm despite having the window open all night. Bathroom was small and dated. Shower was feeble. Yes corridors were dated and in need of updating perhaps but everything was very clean.

Breakfast was usual cold or hot buffet and plenty of it. Had a bar meal first evening - typical bar menu but was very good VfM and sit down dinner second evening - very good. All the staff were helpful and friendly but I think they could do with some customer service focus training. Little things like clearing tables in the conference room at lunch time and refilling water etc. small points but would have made a difference.

Overall a good stay but some improvements could make a big difference.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Missenden Abbey is a conference centre. As such, the majority of the rooms are cubicles for single delegates staying overnight while attending a conference. The rooms are too small for a couple to stay in for a comfortable weekend break. Beds are three quarter doubles. We also found the room and corridors quite scruffy with marks on walls and scratched doorplates.
We were attending a wedding and asked why we had been put into a single room. We were told that this was a standard double room and no other rooms were available.
Most of those attending the wedding felt the rooms were too small. Those with children were given blow up airbeds to put at the foot of their bed. Guests had to ask for extra towels, pillows, etc.
Though the centre is pleasant enough, the food good and the building is set in attractive grounds, we felt we should warm others who may be considering booking the venue for a wedding event with guests staying over.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
#6 of 14 in High Wycombe
Rye Court Hotel
Rye Court Hotel
#5 of 14 in High Wycombe

Been to Missenden Abbey Conference Centre? Share your experiences!