“A wonderful find”

Rounceval House Hotel
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A wonderful find”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I only stayed here for one night, but it would have been a pleasure to stay longer. This hotel is simply charming.
Upon arrival, from the outside the hotel looks like you are stepping back in time. Thankfully there is a car park, which is a good thing as the village seems to be very popular with lots of cars parked on the road.
A simple check-in upon arrival, no hassle at all. My room was on the second floor, up two sets of original wooden stairs.
I was delighted with my room, a little vestibule as I unlocked my door, opening into a clean and bright room, with some beautiful original features. Great free wifi, with a strong signal, so I could get on with my work.
The bathroom was bright and spotlessly clean with a very powerful shower.
Breakfast was served in a lovely breakfast room downstairs with a selection of continental breakfast or full English.
Overall I found this hotel so lovely that I am looking forward to visiting my customer again so that I can stay here again, maybe for a little longer this time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Masterton, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is a lovely late Stuart hotel at which we stayed by chance for 2 nights. Due to a cancellation we ask for some deal and were accommodated at 74 pounds per night (from 89 pounds). The hotel is most gracious with the owner most hospitable. Lovely breakfast. Good off street parking. Although situated at the top end of the town (near Yate) its an easy walk to all amenities, restaurants, pubs etc. Some street noise if you are (like us) need to have a window open.

Room Tip: Although we did not pay the going rate we considered the usual 89 pounds per night not good value.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Preferred choice for place to stay in Chipping Sodbury.

Good experience from clean room / good breakfast / easy parking / welcoming host.

Only minor criticism is that Rooms 6 & 7 have very small bathrooms especially if you are tall and hence banged head on doorframe, plus sloping ceiling makes it difficult to have a shower without another head banging on the exposed beams.

Will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms 6&7 at the top of the house so a few stairs to go up, but tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

A very pleasant hotel with comfortable rooms. The bathroom in my room was rather small with a 3/4 bath with a shower. To climb in when the water is running (from the shower) you need to clamber over the toilet which is not ideal. The decor if the room looks dated to keep up the appearance of the hotel. This is not a complaint. The TV in the room is rather small and although the owner claims wifi throughout, the room I stayed in could not see the router documented in the room leaflet leaving me with no Internet access and therefore preventing me from working in my room. The breakfast was excellent quality and the staff are polite and are happy to chat. I would stay there again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkPocock
Marcus026, Owner at Rounceval House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, customer feedback is always welcome and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I thought that I should mention that we do pay a not inconsiderable amount to BT every month to enable us to offer free wifi access throughout the hotel, including every guest bedroom. If you do stay with us again and you experience a problem with our wifi please do let us know as it could be as simple as rebooting the system.
derbyshire
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel is at the top of the Main Street in Chipping Sodbury. We were pleasantly surprised - the room was lovely with an excellent bathroom. The floors were a bit creaky but this added to the charm. The breakfast was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend. Chipping Sodbury is a lovely little town with plenty of places to eat and drink.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Hotel is located in the main road through Chipping Sodbury, and is convenient for both Bristol and Badminton. I had to ring the bell to get in, but as this is a small hotel that is understandable. The Greeted and checked in quickly. The Owner (Mark, I think) was freindly and interested in why I was there. My room was light and airy, a mix of white linen, light walls and dark wood. Very spacious but I would have preferred a larger TV (A pet frustration of mine - Not that I even turned it on). Unusually the bath, with hand-held shower is in the room rather than behind closed doors. The Toilet is behind closed doors and is a masterpiece of utilising every inch of a room. Water closet is a very apt name for it. The Hotel has a lot of wooden floors which tend to creak and transmit noise, particularly from the room above, but, to be fair, if people removed their shoes it would be a lot less of a problem. My room was at the front and there was some noise from the street below. Breakfast was served in the dining room, and was served promptly, Hot and consisting of good quality ingredients. Only real improvement would be if I was offered a choice of Eggs (Poached are my preference). Overall a pleasant stay in an unusual hotel, with friendly staff and a high standard of cleanliness throughout. Recommended.

Room Tip: Having stayed only the once, difficult to advise but maybe ones at the back of the property are quit...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dubbs60
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed here with family for a celebration weekend. I loved the relaxed atmoshere and the beautiful decor. The room was spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. Felt a genuine care from the owners who were at pains to make sure all guests were well looked after. Very refreshing compared to most chain hotel experiences.
Lovely breakfast too. Would definetely stay here again.
We booked at he £60 deal rate so was exceptional value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel
Moda House
Moda House
#1 of 4 in Chipping Sodbury

Been to Rounceval House Hotel? Share your experiences!