“Great place to stay in Chipping Sodbury”
Review of Moda House

Moda House
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We enjoyed a two night break in this delightful hotel, on a trip looking around South Gloucestershire. We had a very clean and comfortable room at the top of the house, with a view of the town and countryside beyond. Moda House is a stunning Georgian building and the owners have furnished it beautifully. There is a good and easy to use wifi connection. The hospitality is excellent here - both Jo and Duncan are friendly and helpful.The breakfast, in the lovely dining room, was very enjoyable, with unlimited tea and toast. The home-made Moda marmalade is unusual and delicious!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The room (and whole guest house) were as clean and tidy as other reviews have indicated - truly excellent. Very quiet room, but then the whole town is pretty sleepy!

Good, but not outstanding breakfast set us on our way very well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Excellent hotel, Friendy, clean, comfy and really lovely people. I traveled on my own to chipping sodbury for a baking course, and I was made to feel very welcome and safe and I was given lots of information about eating out. I really enjoyed my stay and I will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Teamrayner1
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I had an absolutely excellent stop-over in the Moda. The qualities of all aspects of the hotel were delightful all round. The cooked breakfast was particularly enjoyable and we would rank it in the top five in terms of quality on the plate.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed for one night with a friend to attend a wedding reception nearby. The property is beautifully and tastefully decorated with plush fabrics and a vast mix of cultural items, all elegantly displayed. Our room was spotless! Immaculate in cleanliness and presentation. We were at the front of the property with a great view straight down the high street but still undisturbed with noise. The hosts are welcoming and warm and rightfully deserve a mention for their hospitality. We were not going for breakfast in the morning but came back to our room to find some fruit and cereal bars, an extremely thoughtful gesture.
Sleep was extremely comfortable with high quality bedding.
I would not hesitate to stay here again and highly recommend this lovely accommodation to others.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I booked The Moda House online to be close to my daughter who lives in Yate. Duncan and Jo who run it were the perfect hosts; nothing was too much trouble. They helped me with my luggage up and down the 2 flights of stairs to my room. The room was clean and comfortable, the breakfasts were ample and well cooked. It was a great place to stay and relax.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage, ask for a room on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 282ChrisB
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed at the Moda House during a recent business trip. It is located at High Street at Chipping Sodbury, which is a rather peaceful place with necessary amenities like restaurants, bus stops and gift shops. Its exterior has the 17th century "British feel". I heard that it used to be a bank in that era. Its interior is well decorated with the owners' collections. Even the utensils (e.g. tea pot) have rather elaborate designs, making the place an "old British heritage".

Old as the place looks, it is still well maintained and is rather modernized. The wi-fi connection is reliable and fast. That was very helpful when I needed to communicate with my colleagues and family.

The Moda House is actually also the home of its owners Jo and Duncan. Hence, it was no surprise that the whole place gave a very homely feel to its guests, especially when there is great hospitality provided by Jo and Duncan.

The service is wonderful. The old lady bringing the cooked breakfast to the guests is friendly. The laundry service is very efficient. On the 7 days on which I sent my dirty clothes for washing, I got back my washed clothes on the same day.

As for the breakfast, the food is quite simple. There is a selection of cereals, fruit, fruit juices and Moda House Biscotti and honey available in buffet style. There is also a menu for cooked breakfast consisting of a few choices. Fresh toast is prepared for every guest when he/she reaches the breakfast room. The Moda House marmalade is rather special. I believe it contains some ginger shreds which gives it some spiciness.

One issue I have with the hotel is that the Superior Double room which I had stayed in seemed rather small for a "Superior Double". Another issue is that sometimes at night, the place around the hotel might be noisy due to passing vehicles and overly excited people outside. The rooms are not sound-proof, so sometimes I was woken by other guests opening or closing their room doors. However, the excellent service and hospitality more than made up for the issues.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business