“Cairns Tour Broker, "The Cairns Experience"”
Review of Cairns Region

Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
57 helpful votes
“Cairns Tour Broker, "The Cairns Experience"”
Reviewed 13 July 2010

"The Cairns Experience" is owned and operated by Andy and his wife. As i had 5 weeks in Oz I looked for help on some planning for scuba and motorcycle rental. I travel a great deal and I'm usually leery of tour offices, wondering if I'm getting a fair deal and all the info I'm seeking. Andy steered me to two choices that proved to be outstanding experiences and saved me a bundle too. I had a dive operator selected for the great barrier reef but after about an hour of discussion I upgraded to the Spirit of Freedom liveaboard dive boat and I'm so glad I did. After that i came back, waffling between a motorcycle rental or a campervan again he took a good hour to discuss the merits of each. He arranged a campervan out of Melbourne. I compared rates online for the deal i got on a 16 day rental. He saved me about a grand. I would consult with him on any travel anywhere in Australia. Good on ya mate!

wilmette, illinois
3 helpful votes
“The true Australian adventure”
Reviewed 13 January 2010

This is truly what makes Australia unique. The beautiful reefs were visible before we landed into the city. We took a Green Island Day tour to a small island off the coast to snorkel in the reefs, then a glass bottom boat tour, and a semi-submersible boat tour and they were all fantastic and worth every minute of the trip.

“Best location for sun and relaxation”
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We watched out of the plane window when we headed down into an area of coral and rainforest with a city nestled on the edge of the sea. We only had six days and they were filled with friendly people we encountered, great weather and an coral adventure on the outer barrier reef. The outer barrier experience was on a floating platform and we did some snorkelling, what an amazing experience, the food was not so great reheated and looked uninteresting to eat. Having the submersible was a bonus, to see the coral up close not many fish though the coral was not colourful.
We took the skyrail to Kuranga and came back down by train, this was an awaresome adventure and a must see, the village was bigger than I thought it would be. Must see is the birdworld and butterfly santuary. Aboriginal cultural centre at Tjapukai was fun.
Best beaches were north at Palm Beach and Trinity Beach white sand and warm sea water to swim in, Oct was the month we were there. Motel was disappointing and would look into many of the other ones that we saw, though it was handy to bus, car rental and airport. Cairns is small and relaxing and safe to walk along the 3km beach park and walkway with a public swimming pool at the city heart right next to the sea a big plus and all free to all! Port Levy is small and set up for the tourist, has a golden beach north side for safe swimming, a day visit and we saw it all. Cairns is a place you should see!

Irvine, California
15 helpful votes
“Fantastic vacation destination”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Stayed 5 days/4 nights in Cairns. At first, it seemed like a boring small beach town, but there are lots of places to visit around the outskirts of town. Booked several day tours through the tour booth in Holiday Inn, and the advisor (Sue) recommended lots of great activities. On the day after we arrived, we went into the rain forest and visited the small town of Kuranda. We took the skyrail (1.5 hour ride) there, and visited butterfly sanctuary, birdworld, and koala gardens. My wife had her picture taken holding a koala too! We took the train back. On the 2nd day, we visited the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park. We saw a dance performance, and threw spears and boomerang. On the 3rd day, we went scuba diving at the great barrier reef. Poseidon took us to the edge of the reef from Port Douglas where we had 3 separate dives. The corals and fish were amazing. On the 4th day, we took a tour to Cape Tribulation. We stopped by Stingray Bay, Mossman Gorge, and several other locations. We even had tropical fruit flavored ice-cream from the Daintree Ice Cream Company. Wished we stayed longer so we could visit the lava tubes and the fig tree curtain.

San Diego, CA
“Food & Wine Trail Tour is a hidden gem”
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We had a great time in Cairns, Australia. I can really recommend going during their winter months, the weather was great the whole time we were there. We of course did the must do's and spent a day on Green Island (the inner reef) where the water was clear and very warm and another on a tour to the outer reef.
As for the tour to Kuranda we detoured from the main stream of tourist and took the tour bus to get there as the other person with me did not want to take the sky rail. This option really worked out good for us, as it was not only cheaper, you get to the Rain Forest Station two hours before the mobs of people arrive plus you get more time to spend there. I used the money we 'saved' and upgraded our train trip back to the Gold Class. Highly recommended! You get served all the champagne, wine, beer or soda's you want plus get a large serving tray of cheese's and fruit all while enjoying the ride in plush seats and no crowds of people. If you are on a tight budget or do not really want to go to the Rain Forest Station but still want to see Kuranda, I found that the local bus system can get you there for just a few dollars (ask the city bus drivers where you can catch it).
But the best 'find' was a little known tour called the Food (and wine) Trail Tour. This tour is GREAT! You not only get to see areas off the beaten path and meet the locals but you get to try samples of a wide verity of locally produced items. The lunch alone is will worth the tour. This tour should be placed on the must do list!

Been to Cairns Region? Share your experiences!