“Great - minus rubbish”

and up
All Inclusive Private Karakul Lake Day Trip from Kashgar
Ranked #1 of 50 things to do in Kashi
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Amazing scenery but a serious amount of rubbish surrounding the area. It wouldn't take much for tourists to place rubbish in bags but that might be asking too much of this country.

Only rated this as 'Very good' due to the mind blowing scenery.

There are newer reviews for Karakul Lake

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Not too much to see at Karakul Lake - just some sorry looking concrete yurts. The view is ok but in my opinion there are other parts of the Karakoram Highway that are more dramatic.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed at a yurt next to the Karakul Lake. The stillness of the waters, the grazing goats, yaks, and sheep make it a picture-perfect scene. I regret not going horseback riding around the lake. However, there was a sudden gust of wind that sent us back to the yurt because it became too cold. In the evening, it is quite chilly. We witnessed the sunset and sunrise and that truly was a great experience. I highly recommend spending some time at the lake. However, do be aware that the lake is around 3700 m high so there is a risk for altitude sickness. I had trouble sleeping at night , but at least advil took away potential headaches. The lake is still worth seeing though.

2  Thank Muselulu
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

The lake is worth the scenic drive out from Kashgar. Nice to enjoy a quiet stroll around the lake. Peaceful and serene experience.

1  Thank towkaylim
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was one of the most fantastic experiences I've had in my life but a few considerations:
- While the lake and mountainside is very beautiful and picturesque, it was more the experience of meeting the Krygh people and staying with them/living in their yurts/eating their food/getting a snapshot of their lives and culture which was most impressive and interesting to me.
- Please be prepared for altitude sickness if you are vulnerable (I had no idea I was, made for a challenging overnight)
- If you have a tendency to get cold, bring a sleeping bag. They provide lush and thick blankets in the yurt but with the temperatures dropping to 40F overnight, and the blankets all of varying sizes and very heavy and thick, it is hard to get comfortable and warm without feeling like you are in a straight jacket.
- Be prepared for no running water, bathrooms, or power (though for some reason I still had blackberry service!).
- Bring a flashlight or better yet one of those flashlight things to put on your head if you have a tendency to have to get up and pee at night.

Our visit to Karakul Lake was organized by Old World Tours. ALI our tour guide was very excellent! You should ask for him. He also took us around the city (Bazaar, Livestock Market, Aback Khoja, Old City, etc) and gave very good insight on the culture and history of the Uigher people. He and our driver Rashad were great. One thing that would have been helpful to know in advance was that the gratuity to him and the driver were not in the total price negotiated with Abdul so that was an unfortunate misunderstanding for all involved given the excellent quality of work, time and effort by him and the driver compared against the high price I paid for the tour.

3  Thank scubacheese