“Does the job”

Ranked #5 of 21 Margao B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Does the job”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

There aren't many places to stay in Margao and this was acceptable for just something overnight. It's a little tricky to find initially, so it helps to have a map printed out for the taxi driver. The hotel was right in the centre of Margao and just across the road from a decent restaurant - Longuinhos (where we ended up for cocktails, dinner and breakfast!). The ability to book via Agoda was a plus but we didn't feel that it offered value compared to the lovely Goan guesthouses that we stayed at for the rest of our trip.

There was hot-water in the bathroom, provided you knew how to turn it on. The air-conditioning was noisy, as it was an old-style, window unit. There were a few power cuts in the town during our stay but the hotel seemed to have its own back-up supply, so we were not affected. Our room definitely didn't look as nice as the photographs but maybe they are in the process of refurbishment?

The staff on the front desk were very welcoming but when the young lad offered to arrange a taxi to take us onwards to Palolem, we were quoted double the starting price of the drivers in the street. This was our first trip to Goa and we over-estimated how long it would take us to travel from Anjuna to Palolem, so we opted to break the journey in Margao. Having said that, it is convenient for visiting the mansions in Chandor and Quepem.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HKLissie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Well this hotel was given a 4 ratings in just dial at the time when I was checking for hotels for my stay in Goa so I enquired about the tariff and was offered a discount on the regular tariff and I had asked for a double bed so I confirmed the booking by bank transfer.
And a confirmation mail was sent to me well I only checked the header stating that my room was confirmed, so next day when I was late to reach on my check in time the front desk called and enquied about my status which made me feel good about the hotel.
Now the shocking moment when I went to see my room it wasn't a double bed it was a twin bed and when asked them I was replied stating that in my confirmation mail it was stated to me that it would be a twin bed now while booking itself I said I would be accompanied by my wife and daughter in spite i was offered a twin bed anyways I was also at fault since I didn't read the mail so the manager said he would join the two beds which I refused anyways I asked him for a double bed he showed me one and I was asked to pay 400 rs extra per day I had no other option so I went for it.
Now the most important factor which let me down was their restaurant as whenever I ordered something from their menu they wouldn't have it and a common answer would be sir its off season so we don't have it then they might as well shut down the restaurant during off season and it's exuberantly priced the people are good.
Well for people who are going to goa for the first time this hotel isn't ideal as it's very far from most of the tourist destination the only place near to it is colva beach and precisely do not ask for tourist vehicles from the hotel as it's way expensive as the tours and travel operator have to pay commission to the hotel I came to know this through the driver who toured us plus the drop to the airport from the hotel is charged at 750 rs ac car. overall the experience was below normal

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank anishkane

Travellers are raving about these Margao hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

Booked a double room for one night. When we got there the check-in took 20 minutes, with at least 3 different forms to fill in. Room ok but we could not get the hot water working, do not know if it was not available or it was some mysterious button in the room. It was warm that day so it was not a problem and we did not investigate further but for the price paid (2200 rupies) i was expecting a much better service, especially from the reception staff. Good central location though, 15-20 min walk to the train station.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Pune, India
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Very good hotel, located in the heart of the city, very near to Madgaon Railway station and Kadamba bus stand.
Though I would advise to stay in the nearby Margao Residency hotel(Govt. owned), which has similar rates plus it also offers free wifi.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2012

No problems at this hotel, but no must-stay. Very suitedfor our one night stay in Madgaon, beds and room were ok, wifi didn't work but computer at reception was available. Our room had no nice views, need to ask for that.

• Stayed October 2012
Muttenz, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We arrived at the hotel in the middle of the night. Even though we were very tired, we had to fill in four pages (!!!) of customer details first before they showed us our room (and after more than six weeks of travelling through India we know that it is usually not necessary to fill in so many forms!). The room itself was quite big. So was the bathroom. Cleanliness was average (we saw quite a few cheaper hotels with cleaner rooms) and there was no hot water in the morning! For 1'800 rupees a night one can definitely expect more in India! The only real highlight was the hotel restaurant which serves excellent Indian and Chinese dishes.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The hotel is close to Margao Railway station and is centrally located. An auto from outside the station will cost you Rs.40. We stayed here for 2 nights. The rooms & bathroom are clean, neat and have all basic facilities. Is suitable for business travelers who are looking for budget accommodation.

Is slightly difficult to locate as the roads around this place have a one way policy. Would suggest that drive in directions/boards be placed by the hotel, so people might find it easy to drive & reach here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business