“Unfriendly and Rude just walk in”

Dusita Resort Kohkood
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Unfriendly and Rude just walk in”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We would like to look the beach at the resort first before deciding to book or not.
The young lady (owner/manager) walked from inside and asked us "Do you need to have lunch or need booking?" I said "We need to look the beach". Then she gave us the shock answer "If you are not a customer of the resort, we don't allow you to walk to the beach" I translated the language to let my husband know what she told us. So we walked out. We asked some local people, they said "You can walk to look the beach every resorts, except Dusita Resort." This was the first time in our life.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Vip N

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at Dusita Resort for four weeks in Feb. 2012 and pretty much loved it most of the time, since the beautiful garden is well-maintained, its rather quiet and the bay is almost private, too. They have good food and are happy to fulfill special needs like providing dairyfree food or cooled fresh young coconut for sundown. :) The huts are rather small, the cottages are very spacious, both are pretty and well built. Especially the bay is very beautiful.

But there are some rather negative points, too, not all of them especially Dusitas fault, but still are bothering, if you care for that: The family, who owns the resort can be very nice but they also can be the opposite of caring and welcoming. Especially if you have something to complain about they will ostracize you for at least one day (not looking at you, not talking to you- bad behaviour as a host in my opinion). In my case this was the fact that they converted the whole place to a big construction area in the middle of high season when they wanted to bury the lagoon under the big houses at the end of the resort, cause there were frogs disturbing guests with their croaking in nighttime. This took about 7 days. The whole day long from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. there were diggers and big dump-trucks driving, very disturbing. The family didnt care at all if this was disturbing their guests and they could have done in offseason. But when I complained and asked how long this will take, they only said: "if you feel disturbed, go anywhere else. We dont mind if you move to another resort.". This kind of answer is pretty much what you have to expect, when you complain. Friends of me told them, that there was a rat in the wooden wall between their room and another and were treated rudely as well and not looked at for almost three days (because of what they left).
Another reason for the rating I gave was the fact, that the cleaning ladies dont care about the customers as well. They are very, very noisy in the morning time and occupy often the hammocks or sitting places for the guests themselves instead of working. Because of this the cleaning process can take many, many hours, in which the Resort is very noisy of shouting and pulling around loud boxes or trolleys.
And the last fact which is really sad but not the fault of Dusita, is the garbage policy on Koh Kood. The litter service comes about 5 times a week. Then they bring the garbage to a haven in a remote area and put out what is giving money when selling. The rest will be put in the sea in the hope that it comes back to another island or beach. Apparantly every other island thinks the same way and so there is lots of garbage, partly ankle-deep, in the sea and especially on the beach in the mornings. Dusita has one guy to clean the beach who starts in the morning. But the much prettier part of the bay (on the right side of the jetty) will still be covered with litter, since Dusita doesnt feel responsible for this area, even if the vast majority of their guests may prefer this side. We started to clean the place ourselves for some hours till Dusita send someone to do it. There can be dangerous litter as well- like used injections (in which is blood), broken fluorescent tubes and so on. Apart from the fact that it can be dangerous, it is really bad treatment of environment and looks ugly to lie next to a dump.

But all in all a very pretty place to stay with good food and clean huts/cottages and one of the best options especially regarding the cost-benefit-ratio on Koh Kood. But I wouldnt stay there for longer than some days if I came back to Koh Kood.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank Jezebel089
Udon Thani, Thailand
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I am currently staying at *another* hotel in Koh Kood. My first choice was to stay at the Dusita Koh Kood, as we are four people and preferred to be in one room (the Dusita has double queen-bedded family rooms), but a glitch in their (very amateurish) website booking function prevented me from making a booking, and I chose elsewhere....

This afternoon, while touring the island, we drove past the Dusita. I was quite pleased to find it, and decided to stop and check the hotel out. We are planning on coming back to Koh Kood in about 5 months time, and will be bringing 8 friends with us. As the Dusita has rooms that can accommodate 3 and 4 guests comfortably, I figured that this would be a good choice for our group. We ran into one of the owners of the property - a young woman - at the front and my Thai partner explained to her (in Thai) that we wanted to check the hotel out for a future stay. The owner told us, very curtly, that it was private property and no non-guests were allowed in and then, rudely and dismissively, turned her back on us and walked back to her friends. I am a bit perplexed that a bungalow-style hotel that is probably at about a one-star level would be so "exclusive." I live in Thailand and routinely check out different hotels - from simple bungalow operations to five-star resorts - for future stays and have never been denied access to their grounds....Whatever, if this is their policy, fine, but all I wanted to do was to check the grounds out, take a look at the bungalows and decide whether to stay there next time on the island or not - please treat me with the slightest amount of respect that you show a potential guest. I asked the woman if she indeed was the owner; one of her friends said "Yes," so I replied that I was happy that I had the chance to stop by and see their operation and how unfriendly they are, so no need to come back. Within one minute, this lady and her operation had turned me off to an extent that all I wanted to do was get away and never see the place again....

There are many nice, well-run hotels on Koh Kook, managed by extremely friendly people. This is not one of them.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank JAMESINTHAILAND
Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed three nights at Dusita because that was all that was available, then went on to Beach Natural for twice the price and not any better. Dusita is family run rather than business orientated. Doubles look small but seemed comfortable, we ended up in a twin with a view of the garage more than the ocean, but that was only a few steps away, we felt lucky just to be there. Gardens and food are fine and you can walk between resorts to a rock top bar and lovely beach in the next bay. Didn't pay the extra for air con.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HifromClay
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed 7 nights here. Awesome place, the beach is amazing, the garden too.

We first stayed in a hut with open-roof toilets for a couple of nights, until one night we met the real guest: a monster sized croach (I live in Bangkok, so I'm used to thai-sized croaches) in the toilet. We asked for another room, this time with normal toilet, and we could sleep with no fears until the end of the stay.

The place is family-run. The staff is not warm at all, not particularly efficient but not terrible. The have two adorable dogs and many cats. Atmosphere is very quiet.

A tip: the right side of the beach is amazing, but there are some sandflies. Use some coconut oil on your skin to make them stay away from you, or you will itch badly. It's available in the small shop before the bridge.

The food at restaurant is nothing special.

Room Tip: Room n° 15 aka "the croach hut". N° 12 was good.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dm02
Sodertalje, Sweden
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We are four persones who stayed 5 nights at Dusita. Two of us have been in Thailand more than fiftheen times and the other two three times. We were all satisfied with the bungalows which was clean and comfortable. The garden was beautiful and well-maintained. We had all meals at Dusita and the food was good and reasonably priced. The family running the place was nice but speaks very little but sufficient english. We found the beach wonderful for swimming. We try snorkling but found just destroyed corals. We got much value for the price and were very satisfied with our stay at Dusita.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zozzo_13
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Don't let the charming bungalows and picturesque views fool you, this has to be the worst place on Koh Kood island. We were going to stay 3 nights and moved after 1. The staff was so incredibly unfriendly. The room we had (a 2 bed family room, for 4 people) was infested with ants. This would not have been a huge problem if the owners of the resort had reacted to the situation properly. At first they refused to give us a different room (despite the fact that there were clearly 4 extra rooms open for the night) Then they tried to fit all four of us into a 3 bed room or offered to give us 2 rooms if we paid even more. Miserable night. There are much better values on Koh Kood such as S-beach and Analay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends