“Excellent atmosphere, total privacy.”

Horizon Resort Koh Kood
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Berlin, Germany
“Excellent atmosphere, total privacy.”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have visited Horizon Resort at the end of May 2014 with my boyfriend. We are in our late 20's and we especially choose this island to be away from the touristy night life view. It was a perfect decision. The hotel is in the middle of two beatiful sand beaches. Since you are free to access any beach you want to swim in the island, it was never a problem to go and try the neighboor beaches. Horizon Resort has the most beatiful garden I have seen in the island. While the double expensive resorts are only offering a plain bongalow on a plain sand beach, Horizon offers you private stands with lounge chairs between nice volcanic rocks and green trees. Also because of its rocky structure it is the best point for snorkelling. The manager or the owner of the resort is Stefan, who came from south France 10 years ago and never left Thailand again. His presence makes this resort a more adorable place. I would definately want to go there again, and next time even with a large friend group.

Room Tip: I would recommend number 7. The picture is taken from the porch of the room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bathilda E

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Horizon Resort. The bungalows were wonderful, the outdoor bathroom a real experience and the view over the sea just incredible. Not to mention the sunset.
Stéphane and his team are friendly and helpful. Communication sometimes might be a challenge but I don't expect people to understand me anyway when traveling abroad. Nothing can beat a nice smile.

If you fancy hanging out at a nice beach, just take the kayaks (for free) and paddle to the next bay which is Klong Chao. One of the most beautiful beaches in S/E Asia I'd say.

So, if you are looking for a beautiful secluded place, nice snorkeling just in front of your bungalow, delicious mango smoothies and stunning sunsets, this is your place.

Don't expect any nightlife or bars. But this is not what you visit Koh Kood for anyway.

Room Tip: Bungalow 6 and 7 are great. However, all the others are having sea views, too.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveltrudi
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We discovered this hotel by walking around. Located in a small hill has amazing views and two different beaches on its left and right. The restaurant is very good. Our bungalow has direct view in the sea. It was just a dream! The price was very reasonable and mush cheaper than the other resort we booked before arriving through internet. There is nice snorkelling around and lots of coconut trees. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary E
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The best thing about this resort is the location - on the beach with beautiful sunset views. Stephane is a great host - very helpful and friendly. I had the best Thai massage I've ever had here. The only drawback is the service of the rest of the staff is not great and the restaurant is a bit basic but there is a really good restaurant at the resort next door. Very good value for money and worth it for the views alone!

3 Thank LinseyDenholm
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Koh kood is a highlight over the two years of our stay in Thailand. I've been to over 20 islands in Thailand and this one is definitely top 3! Now for Horizon Resort... Stephane the owner is outstanding! Warm welcome, very helpful, staff kind, and the bungalows are nice and have stunning views! I got heat burn on my arms and he even gave me the aloe Vera he had for two days to treat my burns. Awesome service!

The one thing that I would have to suggest is that he lower the prices of the food on the menu and to make sure the free breakfast in the morning is better well attended to and that the EGGS ARE COOKED PROPERLY! The were inedible... He has done a great job otherwise and I know it's being a bit picky but it's constructive criticism that helps a new owner that I can say went over and beyond to make our stay great, better his resort.

Thanks again for a wonderful stay Horizon!

Room Tip: B6 thru B9 have the best views!
1 Thank Satori9
Stephane G, Propriétaire at Horizon Resort Koh Kood, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Hello, thank you very much for your review, i thank you also for your remarks, i will do something for sure.
Anyway i am very happy if you spent good time with us, we are not perfect but we do our best and work with our heart
Very best regards
Stephane
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We visited Koh Chang in January and loved it. This time, we wanted to go back to the same general area, but visit a different island. Enter our choice of Koh Kood. This island absolutely blows Koh Chang out of the water. The beaches, the waterfalls, the snorkling, the winding roads and rolling hills, the remote solitude, it has everything! The first thing Stephane said when he greeted us was, "I think you'll like it here; it's very quiet." Everything about Koh Kood is relaxing and stunningly beautiful.

In terms of the facilities and services at Horizon, it is a really nice set-up. You can tell Stephane and his staff really care about the place, and make every effort to help you enjoy your time. They are all so nice and helpful. The snorkling right off the jetty of the hotel is FANTASTIC. Some of the best I've seen. The breakfast in the morning is great; fresh fruit, a mix of hot dishes, a good buffet that is well-maintained. They also have coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available 24/7 in the reception area.

The rooms are very nice, with excellent views. Ask Stephane for a room with a beautiful view, and he will make sure you aren't disappointed. We stayed in rooms 7 & 8, which had completely unobstructed views of the whole ocean. The air conditioner worked great, and the bed was comfortable. They have free kayaks and snorkels for you to use. You can rent a moto for 300 baht a day. (150 for half day!) Massages are great as well; Stephane just built a new massage pavilion overlooking the bay. It is heavenly. (And a Thai massage is only 300 baht!)

Would I go back? Absolutely! Head to Koh Kood before it's too late!

Room Tip: Ask Stephane for a room with a beautiful view, and he will make sure you aren't disappointed. We...
1 Thank Kimberly J
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights this past week. I booked the place hoping that all the good reviews here were right. Thankfully, they were.
From Trat we took the Princess Ferry at noon - this was a mistake - it just makes it more of a trek than it needs to be. Take the speed boat - it'll drop you right at the hotel.
Stephane was there when we arrived. We were greeted with a glass of cold juice (felt wonderful after the long ride there) and taken to our room right away.
I have to agree, having the A/C just makes for better sleep at night, so it's nice. I do think that ceiling fans would also work OK.
Bungalows have everything you need, really, and are cleaned daily. Which is very nice. We had an almost unobstructed view of the ocean from our balcony.
This was my husband's first time snorkeling (I had done it once years ago) and we both loved it. There is plenty to see under the surface at the beaches here (including very big sea urchins!). The hotel has snorkeling gear and kayaks you can use for free. If the bottom is too rocky for you, you can go to the shop just outside the reception area and buy water shoes (and snacks, toiletries, booze, medicine, you name it).
Breakfast is satisfying and for the most part standard Western. It's a nice break from the Thai food. The fruit is always fresh and sweet. Thailand might just have the best pineapples ever.
We ate almost every meal here (except for dinner the last night) and were very pleased. Portions are generous and the Thai food is still legit Thai (the only non Thai item we ever ordered were sandwiches). It might be a bit pricier than other options around, but our bellies and wallets were happy here. The curry dishes are probably the best on the menu.
There are only about 20 bungalows on the hotel so it's very private and quiet. It's never, ever noisy here which is great. This is truly a place where you come to rest. My husband said the massage he had was very good. I think it's a pretty good value too - an hour long massage for BHT300-400 or so.
Everything about this place is lovely. It's great for those who like unspoiled areas and just want to relax. We would gladly give Stephane and his crew all our business again.

2 Thank anniesaturria