“Went here just for lunch...” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Away Koh Kood
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Went here just for lunch...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We tried this place for lunch one day to check out the property and the food standards. The location is excellent and very picturesque. We're sure the rooms would be as nice. The restaurant is just alright though. The menu is very limited and the food leaves a lot to be desired. I'd suggest that people staying here try pizza & pasta or Shantaa near the Pier for a meal, if you run out of options here. Got some great shots of people kayaking at sunset though. :-)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NishaPrakash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Spent for 4 nights there. On arrival I was "upgraded" to the beachfront room. Of course, having a great view of the ocean is nice, but you must know, that these rooms are the oldest in this property. While official list prices for beachfront are just ridiculous expensive (443 USD, "special rate" 203 USD!!!) the structure, especially restrooms and showers, is old, used and dirty. The outdoor shower was mould-infested!!! Mould smells in the room, restroom. The pictures on their official homepage must either been taken years ago or photoshopped.
There was wifi only in the lobby/restaurant area.
Maybe one doesn't complain if upgraded to beachfront?
I my opinion these rooms should go for less than 50 USD or the owner should invest few million Bath in the structure. That's it - that easy.
And BTW: I paid 90 EUR (120 USD) through otel.com

Room Tip: The cheaper, but newer rooms are on top of the hill.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank gisilamo
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I went to Away resort in late August, low season, and fittingly there was a storm as we arrived. This made for a beautiful view of the bay though, which we enjoyed from our balcony and resting up around the resort. The following couple of days were sunny and clear, so we got the best of both.

The room we stayed in was spacious and pleasant, with a homely rustic feel as a result of the wood and light decoration. The outdoor shower was a nice touch from which you could even get a view of the bay. The food was great, catering to both Thai and Western tastes – thumbs up to the chef there.

Having been to other islands around Thailand, I was pleasantly surprised by Ko Kood, being so large and relatively untouched. A real high point of our trip was kayaking from the resort with the staff there to a beautiful waterfall further inland. Both the kayaking trip through the mangroves and the swimming in the pool around the falls were fantastic. Coming from the city it was a joy just to take a walk from the resort down the road to where there were a few shops and some of the local villagers who enjoy the island's beauty on a daily basis.

We stayed for 2 nights due to our schedule but would stay for longer next time. For truly winding down and getting away from the ratrace, I'd definitely suggest at least 3-4.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paul B
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

It took over 6 hours driving from BKK and 1.5 hours shipping...finally, I could get there!!
I stayed 3 nights with my friends.. I was expected there is amazing place...However I was disappointed about their bad hospitality..Their attitude was too bad. No smile, No helpfulness.

For example, We joined a tour for snorkeling but unfortunately, the ocean wasn't clear then we couldn't see a lot of fish we expected. after the tour, I asked receptionist about the reason why get there!!
I stayed 3 nights with my friends.. I was expected there would be amazing place. However, I was disappointed about their bad hospitality..Their attitude was too bad. No smiling, No helpfulness.

For example, We joined a tour for snorkeling but unfortunately, the ocean wasn't clean then we couldn't see a lot of fish we expected. after the tour, I asked receptionist about the reason why we couldn't see fish a lot because I wasn't satisfied. She answered to see such beautiful fish is to join an another tour which goes more farther place. I didn't understand at all. They'd never told us the other snorkeling tours when we'd asked them about snorkeling tour... I was really expected to enjoy snorkeling as I went there to do it.

Anyway this was just one example of their bad services.
Even if I have an opportunity to go the island again, I would never stay this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CHKRN
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

A friend and I booked a two night deal (two nights for half price) as a last minute weekend getaway from Bangkok for a long weekend.

We were driving from Bangkok via Pattaya and due to mistiming, unfortunately we missed the ferry - of which there is only one per day in the green (wet) season - so strong advice to future travelers is don't miss the ferry! At least they did try and wait for us for a short time, but too many wrong turns and a dodgy GPS didn't help!

(We ended up going to Koh Chang for a night instead and then came back for the ferry to Koh Kood the next day - much more advisable than staying in Trat if you miss the ferry)

We eventually checked in at Koh Kood on Sunday. I had requested twin bedding, however all the twin bed rooms had been booked - annoyingly they didn't tell us this when we booked and we only discovered it when we were escorted to the room.

We had booked an oceanfront bungalow and the room itself was quite spacious and very clean, with somewhat "rustic" decor. It is a beach resort, after all, and keep in mind it isn't luxury/modern resort. The bathroom could do with a bit more bench space, but the outdoor shower is pretty fun. The bed was comfortable and the aircon was effective.

The "beach" at Away is set on a rocky outcrop which you have to climb over to get to the actual beach, which isn't terribly pleasant and not nice on your feet! The outdoor lounge chairs and beach bungalows are great for curling up with a book and magazine. There are also kayaks you can use complimentary to paddle down the river or over to the beach, which was nice.

The restaurant was average prices for island restaurants and the food was standard. The cocktails were good, and cheaper than you'd pay in western countries but still on the higher side for Thailand (or maybe I'm used to cheap in Bangkok!).

Beware there are mosquitoes at the resort! I could have sworn I read something about there being none, however I definitely got bitten! Make sure you pack repellent.

I would like to visit Koh Kood again, but might look at staying at another resort that has a better beach location. After all, that's what most people travel to the islands for.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MissRissMelb
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I was in this hotel for two night and is terrible, the staff of the hotel are poorly educated and the location of the hotel make impossible the comunication between the other islands in the low season.
Not recomendable

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Snovo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed one night at Away. It's a nice place with great rooms, although they are probably a little over priced, compared to what else is available on the island. The staff are friendly and helpful, and food was pretty good, although not amazing. Great fun having the kayaks there - and necessary as otherwise there is no beach. Unfortunately there are a lot of sandflies on the Peter Pan beach, and their bites are an unpleasant souvenir. The one downside to the resort is the pool which is both small and grubby. Overall, Away is a nice place to stay for a night or two but it is not a destination in itself.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple