“A good place to relax”

Away Koh Kood Resort
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We read many reviews of Away Koh Khut on Tripadvisors before booking and saw that the opinions ranged from the very best to the mediocre, so we were unsure what to expect. The basic questions, as always, are if the places meet our expectations and give us value for money. We were looking for and expected to find a good, basic resort with all necessary facilities, clean rooms, decent food, crystal water and the famous Thai smiles. We did not look for a posh and trendy show off place. This resort fully met these expectations.

Sure, the place is not perfect; the beach is really quite small and unattractive but about 150 ft away (swim or borrow a kayak) is a very nice beach that all our colleague guests used. The beach beds on Away´s small beach were few and some guests always lack manners and occupy “their” chairs the entire day, even when they are not there. The management may consider some more chairs.

Our room (Ocean facing deluxe bungalow) was very good. Maybe some paint could have been used but really charming and well working. Nice view to the ocean and a gentle breeze all day. Room service was good – with the smile. Bathroom not the latest model but clean with water heater (working from 6 pm to 8 am to save power).

The restaurant will not win a Michelin star any time soon but it was definitely acceptable and fairly reasonably priced. The famous smile was definitely there. Language is not big issue and neither the speed and service.

The internet works well in the lobby and the restaurant but not in the rooms but then they have not advertised anything else.

A recommendable resort but we suggest you carefully consider your expectations before booking.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Hello,
we just came back from there and we were not so happy!!!!
There is no real beach, so you have to take a canoe to cross, not long but with young children, not so nice. 30 rooms and 8 canoes which makes it difficult. Rooms ok but bathrooms old and average.
If you want to order food, go in advance it takes about 30-45 mns just to get an order and thst is if they have no items missing such as bananas....
Staff not so helpfull, enquired about a speedboat and never got the answer...
I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Langlet V
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Amazing location overlooking the bay.
The wood bungalow was spacious and very peaceful and had the best sleeping ever.
The food was great, Thai curries just delicious.
Having been around Thailand quite a lot, Ko Kood is great for a quick holiday, easy to get to from Bangkok, so perfect for a long weekend.
Although disappointing on the diving side, it's great to rent a scooter and explore the beautiful untouched beaches and chill all day.
Had an amazing massage from a little wonderful smiley woman in the spa, who also rescued me for a big sunburn with her magic aloe vera portion, which she gave me in a little pot to take home! God bless her!

Room Tip: Get the superior bungalow away from the reception area and enjoy the silence!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We tried this place for lunch one day to check out the property and the food standards. The location is excellent and very picturesque. We're sure the rooms would be as nice. The restaurant is just alright though. The menu is very limited and the food leaves a lot to be desired. I'd suggest that people staying here try pizza & pasta or Shantaa near the Pier for a meal, if you run out of options here. Got some great shots of people kayaking at sunset though. :-)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NishaPrakash
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Spent for 4 nights there. On arrival I was "upgraded" to the beachfront room. Of course, having a great view of the ocean is nice, but you must know, that these rooms are the oldest in this property. While official list prices for beachfront are just ridiculous expensive (443 USD, "special rate" 203 USD!!!) the structure, especially restrooms and showers, is old, used and dirty. The outdoor shower was mould-infested!!! Mould smells in the room, restroom. The pictures on their official homepage must either been taken years ago or photoshopped.
There was wifi only in the lobby/restaurant area.
Maybe one doesn't complain if upgraded to beachfront?
I my opinion these rooms should go for less than 50 USD or the owner should invest few million Bath in the structure. That's it - that easy.
And BTW: I paid 90 EUR (120 USD) through otel.com

Room Tip: The cheaper, but newer rooms are on top of the hill.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank gisilafimo
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I went to Away resort in late August, low season, and fittingly there was a storm as we arrived. This made for a beautiful view of the bay though, which we enjoyed from our balcony and resting up around the resort. The following couple of days were sunny and clear, so we got the best of both.

The room we stayed in was spacious and pleasant, with a homely rustic feel as a result of the wood and light decoration. The outdoor shower was a nice touch from which you could even get a view of the bay. The food was great, catering to both Thai and Western tastes – thumbs up to the chef there.

Having been to other islands around Thailand, I was pleasantly surprised by Ko Kood, being so large and relatively untouched. A real high point of our trip was kayaking from the resort with the staff there to a beautiful waterfall further inland. Both the kayaking trip through the mangroves and the swimming in the pool around the falls were fantastic. Coming from the city it was a joy just to take a walk from the resort down the road to where there were a few shops and some of the local villagers who enjoy the island's beauty on a daily basis.

We stayed for 2 nights due to our schedule but would stay for longer next time. For truly winding down and getting away from the ratrace, I'd definitely suggest at least 3-4.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 21 August 2013

It took over 6 hours driving from BKK and 1.5 hours shipping...finally, I could get there!!
I stayed 3 nights with my friends.. I was expected there is amazing place...However I was disappointed about their bad hospitality..Their attitude was too bad. No smile, No helpfulness.

For example, We joined a tour for snorkeling but unfortunately, the ocean wasn't clear then we couldn't see a lot of fish we expected. after the tour, I asked receptionist about the reason why get there!!
I stayed 3 nights with my friends.. I was expected there would be amazing place. However, I was disappointed about their bad hospitality..Their attitude was too bad. No smiling, No helpfulness.

For example, We joined a tour for snorkeling but unfortunately, the ocean wasn't clean then we couldn't see a lot of fish we expected. after the tour, I asked receptionist about the reason why we couldn't see fish a lot because I wasn't satisfied. She answered to see such beautiful fish is to join an another tour which goes more farther place. I didn't understand at all. They'd never told us the other snorkeling tours when we'd asked them about snorkeling tour... I was really expected to enjoy snorkeling as I went there to do it.

Anyway this was just one example of their bad services.
Even if I have an opportunity to go the island again, I would never stay this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends