All reviewsshantaa resortoutdoor bathroomkoh koodconcrete pierlong beachthai foodsweet roomrooms are beautifulprivate beachpeace and quietan eyesoreour honeymoonbeach towelsrain showersmall islandtotal relaxationfantastic resort
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We've stayed in a Shantaa Sweet for 5 nights and I can really say: this is paradise in case you want full relax.

The 'Sweet' bungalows are really fantastic, very stylish and clean. The outdoor bathroom huge and gives you the jungle feel. Everything is to the highest standard, the amenities, the servicing of the room (bed linen and towels exchanged daily). I would only stay in a 'Sweet' bungalow since they're newer, nicer furnished (especially the sun-beds on the terrace) and nearer to the beach.

The food at Shantaa restaurant is fantastic, Thai style at its best. I've heard from many people that Shantaa offers the best Thai food on the island. Anyway I would recommend three things:
- add some more simple European dishes for guests who're staying longer
- replace the plastic table linen by fabric once. The plastic cover doesn't represent the food
- remove the waste bin next to each table

The beach, well... You've to know that Shantaa is directly next to the Pier where the Koh Kood Express arrives daily twice. So it's not really nice to look at from the small Shantaa beach directly attached to the pier. But Shantaa offers a huge bamboo mat in each room plus towels. So you're free to walk 500 to the other side of the pier where you have fantastic view, better beach and stone-free sea access.

Shantaa offers small motorbikes for rent. They're good once, at 400 Baht/day. You should rent one because it's the only way to see the island, to drive to good restaurants other than Shantaa. Especially 'View Point Cafe' offers superb Lassi and a stunning view at sunset. If you want European food you may drive to 'Pizza & Pasta', for other Thai food I would strongly recommend 'Relax' restaurant next to the 'Nine supermarket', near to View Point Cafe. It's basic Thai food, but something different than Shantaa.

Travel to Shantaa. Shantaa recommended 'Koh Kood Express' to us, because it arrives directly next to the hotel. But be aware this is a very, very old Russian hydrofoil vessel, extremely noisy inside. Better go for shared speed boat, either from Koh Chang or the piers near Trat.

Important note: bring a strong repellant with you, since on Koh Kood you'll find sandflies. If they bite you it will itch for long time! Use repellant before you go to the beach, the restaurant and before sleeping!!! That's the price you pay for such a remote and romantic place.

What else to say: super-friendly staff and Thai owners, who will always help you.

We'll return to Shantaa for sure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HONkiev
Reviewed 27 January 2014

had another great stay here ... everyone is so helpful and friendly ( they helped us move our hotel in BKK because of the protests without us even asking)
the resort is constantly evolving with a small number of new rooms,new beach bar and private beach being added

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kennytaylor
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We had such an amazing time at Shantaa because it is everything we love about Thailand reduced into simple luxury. At booking we were a little surprised that the resort is at pains to tell you what they don’t have e.g. mini bar, 24 hour air conditioning, a pool but on arrival one quickly realises that the resort offers qualities which are difficult to describe in adjectives and the panoramic beauty that cannot be captured within a border.

I think what captured our heart was the positioning of the bungalows situated on a small hill amongst lush green grass, palms, and coconut trees. I fondly remember sitting on our balcony after our evening massage with the birds singing and the crickets chirping, sharing a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc watching the sunset into the sparkling sea and reflecting on another day in paradise.

The staff at Shantaa are a highlight and I have to thank them for tolerating my embryonic attempts at learning Thai which provided hours of amusement.

The Kayaking was a lot of fun and I went down the South coast one day and then up the North coast on another evening. Shantaa is next to the main wharf which impairs the view of the long white sand beach from the sun loungers and beach bar but does mean that the snorkelling is very good and accessible.

Kayaking south I saw some smaller resorts down which look nice but not to the same high standard as Shantaa and a bit more “Robinson Crusoe”. Whilst kayaking north I visited the beach where Soneva Kiri is situated and that stretch of the coast is sensational which one would expect at £900 p/night!

We hired a scooter and we walked down a jungle track and clamoured over rocks to find Klong Chao which is beautiful waterfall and great for freshwater swimming. Standing underneath the deluge is the ultimate shower. We were fortunate as we had a window between two large tour groups which certainly diminished some of the serenity!

It is hard to compare Koh Kood with Koh Chang. The 5* hotels on Koh Chang offer brilliant service and I would recommend the Dewa but in retrospect our time split between Koh Kood and Koh Chang could have been completely different holidays. I think it would have been really draining to travel from London to Koh Kood in one day so it made sense to stay in Koh Chang for a few days at the start and end of the holiday. I don’t think the typical traveller to Koh would enjoy the divine simplicity of Koh Kood. The detail and elegance that Shantaa offers would find a different definition for a traveller that is expecting blue curacao based cocktails and towel origami.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MPHBartley
Reviewed 11 January 2014

came here with my boyfriend for only 2 night. If you enjoy quiet, relaxation and nature you should definitely come here.
staff is great and king, food is yummy and scenery is wonderful.
We had a sweet room which was immaculate. the bathroom is excellent and the cleaning ladies are doing a hell of a job.
Will be back, hope it will stay the same :)))

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The concept of this resort makes it undoubtedly the perfect place to relax, while enjoying great service and great food.

The family run property is located on a west facing hillside, where the villas were built apart enough to allow you a degree of privacy. The view from the balconies is stunning, particularly at sunset.

The villas are very well designed with a bathroom in the back where a small garden allows you to enjoy an al fresco shower. All this is very well kept and impecably clean.

The dining area is on top of the hill with, again, amazing views.

Although I stayed over 2 weeks I didn't have the time to try every item in the varied menu. The food was always delicious. And reasonably priced. The staff is very friendly and helpful and this has to be the only resort in Thailand where you don't pay for water. Apart from the standard complimentary water bottles in your room, the staff is always ready to serve a glass of iced water the moment you sit at a table, which shows the care they take in pampering their guests. Plus, you have free water bottles at the beach.

The beach is comparatively small but very clean. Just across the pier you have a long stretch of cocoanut tree lined beach (Ao Tapao). The beach bar is a great place to have a meal and enjoy one of their fabulous fruit shakes.

From the end of the pier you have an amazing view of the coastline.

This was my third visit here (December 2013) and will most certainly not be the last. Thanks to Ms. Kai, Zero, Dja, Fein, Tao, Im and all the other staff members whose name I haven't learned so far, not forgetting the kitchen staff and housekeeping.

And please, don't you ever dare build a swimming pool!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends