“perfect”
Review of Shantaa Koh Kood

Shantaa Koh Kood
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Reviewed 3 April 2014

i stayed in shantaa with my husband and i highly recomand this place!! The atmospher is just exceptional! everybody is here to make you feel good..
And i didn t talk aboud the food, best on the island!!
if you have a chance to stay do not miss it !!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shantaa Koh Kood

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I'm a bit reluctant to review this place just because I don't want this island to be inundated by the masses but it would be an injustice to the Shantaa resort if I did not give my review! It was a piece of paradise- heaven on earth. The only down side is the journey to get there, 4 hours by car from Bangkok then 1.5 hours by boat! But it was so worth it. The service is unbelievable, met with a warm welcome drink and Ivey cold towels to cool us down while they took care of our luggage. The villas were beautiful, loved the outside coconut shower. Didn't have to carry any cash around as everything was charged to your room and the staff knew which room you had with out asking- amazingly! Was pleasantly surprised at the bill at the end of the stay which included bike hire, massage and snorkelling trip! We had a lovely relaxing, chilling out stay with our friends. Not a lot of sights to see on the island but the beaches are beautiful. No pool , but it wasn't missed because the sea was so perfect and warm!
So, I don't think you really need to go to Shantaa now I've told you everything, think I should keep it for myself ;)

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Although they were fully booked when we wanted to stay, we came for lunch at Shantaa and it was perhaps the most delicious food I have ever eaten. So I thought that deserved a special mention! Try the chef's specials - especially the salad with raw fish and mint. The place looked beautiful and well maintained, will try to come back in the future - if only for that salad....

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I fell sick on the day I departed from Baan Makok to Shantaa but it did not dampen my stay. I was actually glad that I have the opportunity to rest well amid super relaxing environment & extraordinary service. If I am in Singapore now, I would be wearing a mask and working. Again, we did not do much except some snorkelling, swimming & walk along the beach. Shantaa Sweet was not available during my stay so I stayed in a Shantaa Villa. Shantaa Villa No.1 was fantastic. It’s near some steps leading to a small stretch of beach & a canal. There are new villas being built nearby but noise is minimal. Our villa has a direct view of sunset. We love relaxing on the outdoor chair at our private deck accompanied by constant sea breeze. For further relaxation, Shantaa has pockets of deck chairs and even salas, all with sea views. Staff whether from housekeeping, restaurant or reception are superb. Menu at the restaurant is extensive & I enjoyed making myself a hot drink at the self-service counter after meals. I also appreciated the fact that we can help ourselves to unlimited bottles of drinking water (I need lots of water as I was on medication). Shantaa arranged speedboat (took 1 hour and cost THB600 per person) to bring us back to Trat. For pure rest & relaxation, Koh Kood is an ideal destination. To enhance the experience, do yourself a favour, stay in Shantaa.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank funtraveller76
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I don't normally like to stay in any one place for too long but our 11 nights at Shantaa were such a restful and beautiful experience that I would happily have extended our stay many times over! The staff are very much not of the in your face variety but their quiet charm and excellence at what they do really shines through. I really think they are a massive credit to both the island and to Shantaa. The food was so delicious we opted to eat there most meals. Particular favourites were the local salads, the massamun curry, the sour curry with local leaves (I forget the name!), the gorgeous mango sticky rice, the mango smoothies...I could go on and on. There aren't many "western" options but I don't see this as a drawback with such an excellent menu. The local beach with bar, free kayaks and snorkelling gear is great, and scooters are available with great instruction to visit the other gorgeous beaches of the island. My fave was Ao Noi just to the south of Ao Tapao where the resort sits. We came with our 18 month old daughter who was indulged and treated with great affection by the staff.

If we ever visit Thailand again I would love to return here.

PS AVOID Cherdchai tour if taking the bus to Trat province. They somehow managed to mangle a 4.5 hour journey back to Bangkok into a 7.5 hour odyssey with multiple pointless stops for God knows what reason.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank rj2747
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Had a phenomenal stay on koh kut at Shantaa. The island is much less developed which was part of the charm.

Pros:
- Suite was quiet and comfortable and we were greeted with champagne on arrival for anniversary celebration
- Food is outstanding at restaurant and they pack lunches for excursions and final meal (which was simply amazing) based on what you order. Snorkel picnic was crab fried rice and last night was a spicy seafood fantasy meal (no words to describe)
- Beach is nice and kayaks are easy to get and explore
- Rented a scooter and staff gave a very hands on free lesson since it was my first time riding one, and was more concerned about our safety than me
- Loved all the noises of geckos and birds from outdoor bathroom :)
- weather was so pleasant, so having no AC from 8:30-17:30 was not an issue
- Great service and staff. Not as full of smiles as some resorts since it is family run, but excellent service
- beaches to the south where tinker bell resort is much nicer, but easy to get to by scooter or kayak
- amazing island destination for those looking for peace and quiet
- shampoo and body wash smelled wonderful
- wifi worked the entire time
- nice swings on the beach

What could have been better:
- Setting up citronella would have helped with mosquitos from day one
- breakfast was good, but limited fruit selection (prob due to island size)
- getting there by car from bangkok takes a lot of time! If it was easier, the island would probably get ruined
- outdoor bathroom was luxurious, but not our preference
- spa facility did not seem to match caliber of resort

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank paletexan
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We spent our vacation at Shantaa in February 2014 and it truly was perfect. We stayed in a Shantaa villa. I honestly have nothing bad to say about it. The rooms where clean and tasteful. The staff where very friendly and truly helpful. They really went out of their way to make sure our stay was good. They have scooters for their guests to rent at almost no cost, a perfect way to explore the island and traffic is almost nonexistent.

The hotel has a small private beach with a bar from where you can order drinks and food from the restaurant. The restaurant serves really good food. On this trip we visited a number of restaurants on both Koh kood and later in Bangkok, both small authentic Thai restaurants and more expensive venues. But honestly, the best food we had was on Shantaas restaurant.

If you are planning to visit Koh Kood take my advice and stay at Shantaa.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple