“Fantastic at koh kood”
Review of Soneva Kiri

Soneva Kiri
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Stay here with my family are happy and funny.Adventure trip for my son and dauther .

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank chartu19
Andrew A, Managing Director at Soneva Kiri, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2016

Dear Chartu19 ,

I am sure this response will surprise you given that you wrote a review on your stay at Soneva Kiri so long ago.

I am sorry that no one was able to respond to your comments at the time but thank you for staying with us and we are still here!

As such please let me know if I can forward any information to you and hopefully welcome you back to Soneva Kiri soon.

There are newer reviews for Soneva Kiri

Reviewed 21 October 2011

This is not just a holiday, more a wonderful experience. The minute you check in at Bangkok airport you're treated like royalty, from being greeted on the jetty by members of the management when you arrive at the island, who by the way are always front of house and definately accessable, to your very own Mrs Friday, in our case Kaew, a young lady who was always there for our every need, whether it was taking us on a tour of the island, keeping us informed of activities, to making appointments at the spa or simply booking dinner reservations, Kaew also presented me with a beautiful birthday cake and card from the staff, although it had never mentioned, everything was done quietly and efficiently without being intrusive. Where ever you decide to eat, whether it be for breakfast with Pom and Mooki,at the main restaurant, lunch at the beach, 'The View' at sunset, or an experience not to be missed at Benz's in the mangrove hide-away, you certainly will not be disappointed, the food is fresh and superbly cooked and presented the service excellent. Their policy of no news no shoes is refreshing to say the least, no papers or televison seems strange at first but definatly not missed after a while and how liberating to go without foot ware if you choose. The hill-side villa was spacious and luxurious and with the use of the golf buggy provided, every where was easliy accessable . I can think of nothing to improve the under-stated luxury of the Sonera kiri experience which we looking forward to repeating in the future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear ladycaptain2 ,

Reviewed 25 September 2011

Wow - where do I begin?! Soneva Kiri is absolutely heaven on earth, there is no other way to describe it. I was there for 4 days and wish it could have been 4 months! Having stayed at many high end places around the world I had set high expectations for Kiri and its lived up to those and more. The entire experience is exceptional, you can't fault one thing. From the moment of check in at Bangkok airport the brilliant service starts and it remains this way the whole time - the staff are incredibly lovely and helpful and the 'Mrs Friday' I had was fantastic. I was in a beach villa and felt like I was the only one on the island. The villas are better than the pictures - they are so big and beautiful. Every little detail has been thought of in the villas. They are incredibly romantic and you'll find you never want to leave the villa, everything you need is right there.

The food was delicious, so fresh and better than many high end restaurants in major cities. Every meal I had was great including the incredible ice cream bar and chocolate bar! The spa is just bliss. The menu of treatments is never ending and you could easily spend a few days just at the spa! It is lovely and well worth visiting!

Every other element is perfect too - the secluded beach, the cocktails at senset, the breath taking views, the warm water, the lovely cessna plane that brings you to this special place.

It is so gorgeous that we are having our wedding there in December - so perfect that we couldn't imagine anywhere as stunning for our special day. Can't wait to return and experience it all again! Don't hesitate at all, it will be better than you imagine and you won't want to leave :)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear gemlovestravel,

Reviewed 17 September 2011

The very idea of a luxury eco-resort is a little incongruous: all the five-star trappings are just inherently at odds with minimizing the intrusion on Mother Nature. Six Senses tries really hard to make it work, and I'll give them a lot of credit for Soneva Kiri -- they've done pretty well.

The place is spectacular: there's the island itself, for one, and the buildings for another. Tens of square meters of bamboo and pine; huge decks (my villa had three levels, a pool with two levels, four separate structures, six day beds, three outdoor showers, an outdoor bathtub, and two minibars). A minimalist footprint it ain't. The main hotel dining room is up three levels; it has four levels itself. I think the architects that designed Soneva Kiri were paid by the level, or perhaps by the linear meters of stairs.

The layouts of the villas are quirky. There's a vast outdoor pavilion, with bar, daybeds, and steps to your lower pool; there's a bedroom with daybed, credenza, and steps directly to its own pool (on a different level from the pavilion pool, so you can't actually swim from one to another). The toilet is in it's own little house; the sinks and vanities are in another, separate little house. The in between deck space has trees rising through it.

It's all visually arresting, like no other hotel anywhere (except, perhaps, other Six Senses properties). Sight is the one sense that gets its due; the other five are just along for the ride. And -- I suppose this is the Six Senses mantra -- you WILL get close to nature, even (sometimes) when you don't want to.

A couple of practical tips, if you go:

1. I liked my cliff villa better than the beach villas. It's larger, and both the toilet and washroom areas are enclosed and air conditioned, unlike the beach villas. You do have to go outdoors and back inside, but aside from the odd concept (why air condition three structures when you could put all together under a single roof?), it's not a problem.

2. If you ask, your Mr or Ms Friday will bring you a can of Off. As others have pointed out, the incense loops, lotions and mosquito coils don't work. Off works: no mossies. I found bugs in general not to be a problem -- and September is still Southwest Monsoon, so it's wet. Of course, it helps if you keep your bedroom's folding doors closed -- clearly not what the designers had in mind, since whole walls of glass doors can hypothetically be folded back in the wide-open position..................

3. Your booking confirmation may say something like "house brand alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages [are] included." Uh, not really. The minibars are free, so the non-alcoholic beverages are, indeed, gratis. There are a couple of bottles of house wine in the fridge, too....but that's it. Want a G&T or a rum and coke? Extra. That said, the hotel liquor cabinet is huge: there are (for example) 25 different kinds of rum on hand.

4. The "full board" provision does cover breakfast, lunch, and dinner -- all of which have their specified time ranges. If you want to eat outside the standard dining hours, you'll find the restaurant closed. But there's another option: the main bar serves food all day. Just the Thai selections on the bar menu take up six pages. So: not to worry -- you won't get any money back for not eating the regular meals, but you're not locked into a rigid kitchen schedule either.

5. I found my Ms Friday to be extremely helpful, and the staff in general very quick to respond, and eager to please (they're for the most part young, and have perhaps two or three years' experience at Soneva Kiri, but I thought the service culture first rate). The assistant GM was also very much present, and we chatted every day. Have them schedule your villa housekeeping to your liking: they were spot on-time each day of my stay.......

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Bitterroot

Dear Bitterroot ,

Reviewed 11 September 2011

My two teenagers and I stayed in a Beach Villa to celebrate my birthday. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. The service impeccable, food out of this world (book the fabulous Dining Pod for your special event) and the facilities second to none. My teens were (unbelievably) never bored, with trips to hidden waterfalls, cinema paradiso, wi~fi, infinity pool, tennis court and our own golf buggy to get us around the breathtaking resort. In short, the best hotel I have ever been forunate enough to stay in. Thank you Soneva Kiri staff for our amazing experience!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank karen995

Dear karen995 ,

Reviewed 8 September 2011

We have recently stayed at Soneva Kiri for 4 nights after reading all the excellent reports about these properties all around the world and having never stayed at one. We would like to point out some negatives of Soneva Kiri, first which might be useful for future guests:
1. the room is beautiful, exactly as seen in the website and previous guests' pictures, but there is one negative point which I really disliked: the WC outside the bedroom. It is very uncomfortable, especially during the rainy season, when we were there, when it is impossible to go to the bathroom without getting all wet. Moreover, since you usually leave a light on at night and it is full of water, the WC was also always full of lots of mosquitoes, despite the presence of numerous coils and the use of sprays.
2. On our arrival night there was a BBQ on the main beach - which is really beautiful and one of the strong point of the property - but the food was really poor. We arrived at 20.30 and there were no prawns left, only mussels (and not of the top quality) and other kind of fish. I think that at this kind of luxury resorts, where you pay a lot per night, you deserve much more.
3. I really did not like the dogs on the main beach - I know they are part of the island, but they were constantly near the guests, looking for food and wanting to play, but I cannot accept them near the oven or the tables where the food is put.
4. my last point is the worst in my opinion: we found a little SNAKE in our bedroom. I don't know if it was dangerous or not, but this can't happen inside the room. I was ready for rats, insects, bats, geckos and many other animals, because we have travelled extensively in South East Asia and South Africa and we know that we are visiting their environment and not vice versa, but not for snakes. I understand that we are in the jungle, but this is something to be taken into consideration very seriously. I was lucky that I saw it in the morning while I was writing at the desk and I can't imagine what might have happened if I stepped on it at night, with lights off, or if I found it in our bed... The GM immediately came to our room and gave us comfort and help and had it immediately removed by one of the staff. This was not a JUNGLE ADVENTURE or EXPERIENCE, because I could not sleep on my last night!!!
On the positive side I want to point out what follows:
the ISLAND is incredibly beautiful, it looks like Heaven on Earth
the ASSISTANCE at the AIRPORT is one of the best we have ever experienced
the FLIGHT experience is great (even if not really nature-friendly...)
the architecture of the resort is astonishing - see the bridge or the children pavilion
the ROOM is huge, but I did not like your lighting system - you need at least one week to fully understand it
the use of a personal BUGGY is something we have never experienced before but really enjoyed it - I wish I found more resorts with this facility
the SPA is great, as well as the therapists
the restaurant BENZ is the best, really worth going there, despite the heavy rain

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Miciogatto
GaryAHenden, Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2011

Dear Khun. Guendalina and Khun. Paolo

A sincere Thank you for your valuable and constructive feedback, without comments like yours we wouldn’t learn and improve upon our products and services

Please rest assured that your comments, concerns and disappointments are not taken lightly as they are deeply regrettable, we will take all the necessary steps to prevent them from reoccurring.
Toilet/ Mosquitoes:
We have stepped up our preventive measures and spraying due to the green season, additionally we have just received new silent fogging machines that can be used in close proximity to the villas… The additional en-suite toilet is planned for next year, hence no need for external walks through the garden in the evening…
Food: Your comments have been addressed with the Culinary team working on the BBQ evening in question.
Dogs: Stray dogs remain to be a challenge across Thailand and its islands, the two dogs at the beach were adopted with the intention to prevent possible strays from visiting the beach. We have instructions the beach team and security officers to keep them away from diners, as its not acceptable for them to beg for food. We are tackling any long term challenges by scheduled visits from the provincial veterinarian team (every 3-4 months) to sterilize and immunize the neighbouring cats and dogs, in the effort to curb both the population and prevent disease.
Snake’s: Fortunately close encounters are extremely rare as they don’t like humans or the cold (AC), nevertheless we do take additional precautionary measures such as placing sulphur and netting around the base of all low lying villas. These nets are discreetly checked daily by our pest control team, any entwined snakes are then removed without harm and released off property away from humans. As I mentioned the snake found in your villa was a harmless “Wolf snake”, however any close snake encounters are enough to raise discomfort. Hence my offer at the time to move you to a different villa, just in case you couldn’t sleep..

I trust that I have responded to all of your comments in the best possible manner, if there is anything that I have missed please do let me know….
Once again please except my sincere apologies for all of the mentioned discomforts caused during your stay, it is our sincere hope that you will return to Soneva Kiri by Six Senses as per our earlier correspondences

Warm Regards
Gary A Henden
Resort Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2011

Having just returned from a 7 night stay as a couple, we have all very positive comments to make with a few minor observations for some development.
The trip from Bangkok to Soneva is excellent in a spacious 8 seter plane. Excllent handling of us from arrival off an Eithiad flight to arriving in Koh Kood.

The longer reviews very accurately portray the excellent facilities of the very large site which provides a rather unique level of privacy for the villas due to its size and location. We were in No 51 Cliff Villa which gave us a superb westerly view over the sea and the setting sun, surrounded by 'jungle' vegetation. It had complete privacy and oceans of space in the bedroom, living areas and pools. Nice to be able to play your own iPod or listen to the resort supplied one and very comfortable bed.

Food is superb in all the restaurants and staff were very happy to accomodate any ideas you might have. Of particular note is Benz restaurant which you travel to by sea launch and retun by road. we went here twice for a set thai menu that changes nightly and is excellent. Howver please note that there is a proponderance of fish on the menu which we loved. The chef and staff here were also excellent. Chocolate and Ice Cream rooms are also super.

Jason, our Mr Friday was very attentaive and helpful and would comend him for his helpfulness and positive demeanour. Gary, the GM was very helpful and courteous as were all of the staff that he had dealings with.

Took the island tour which was good to get a view of the rest of life on the island and while not an island full of temples etc it is a worthwhile excursion. Note bring sensible shoes for walk to wterfalls (slippy).

Location is superb and a real get away from it all place. Met a few people on different length stays, so would recomend 3- 6 nights as optimum.

Weather - this is a big talking point for this island, but put simply we had wonderful weather. 5 days sunshine with practically no rain or some short showers and 2 days which were more overcast. 1 night of a complete deluge - but who cares its 30 degrees and not too humid. Maybe we were just lucky.

down sides - bugs were a bit of an issue if you bare skin outside - both of us were bitten about 20 times by various eunknown entities generally in the late afternoon - we think. None of the bug repellants really seemed to work effectively. Jason got us calamine lotion which eased the itching so we were fine on this front.
The only other small down side is that the WC is in a dressing room area that is outside of the bedroom and accessed vai an external covered corridor. My wife wasnt best pleased for use at night time. again an issue they have advised they are addressing.

So overall, an excellent stay and would recomend it - we have also stayed in the W resort in the Maldives and Al Maha in Dubai and would put this location in the same group.

Ohh and the beach area is superb and really nice and quiet
Enjoy

Room Tip: Cliff Villas seem to be better than Hill or Beach Villa
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple