“Nice getaway”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Berlin, Germany
“Nice getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We spend 9 days at Soneva Kiri as a family. The resort is quite remote and on the whole island is not much you can do except enjoy the amazing nature and sports.
The resort itself offers everything that you can expect, from Spa, gym, tennis court to all kinds of water sports.
The service in general was excellent and the food was very fresh and marvelous. I really liked the fact that they use local products as much as possible, lots of it from their own gardens and own production. I rellay must say that the food their is quite exceptional, in all their restaurants.
The whole staff was very friendly and they really tried to accommodate every wish.
The only thing I would like to mention is the state of the villa which we had. Even though the building is not very old, it has already an "old" look and it gave the impression it really needed to be refreshed. After a storm some of the bamboo on the roof had fallen off, with nails attached to it. I think the hotel management is trying to maintain the villas as best as possible, but the humidity is really destroying things fast. The inside of the villa also had a "used" look. I did not think this was a grave factor, but looking at a 5 star hotel in this price range I would have expected a villa of higher quality inside and outside. In general the prices are on the "high" side, I do not think it is justified everywhere, for example in the spa and the drinks.
But again, all in all we had a wonderful vacation, and I would recommend it to all who want to have a tranquil time in a nice surrounding with excellent service and all amenities.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the newer villas
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri Thailand, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Katamete,
thank you very much for posting your review on this forum. I am glad to read that you had a good time with us. I have particularly taken note of the required maintenance of the villas. In fact, we have to conduct constant maintenance in all areas of the resort and this is an annual and reoccurring activity we have to do. It is a hard job but the result is that the resort creates this amazing ambience and feeling when one stays with us. This would not be possible if we would use different long lasting materials. It appears that you were allocated a villa that has not recently been done, for which I apologize. Thank you for recommending us to your friends and colleagues.
With warm regards
Frank Grassmann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Our three days at the Soneva Kiri were exceptionally brilliant experience, from checked in at the DMK airport counter (a little problem as it was different counter from their final confirmation) all the way to the villa and back. We were very well treated and impressed throughout. Opted for the full board option which were beyond our expectation, just wish we could be a bigger eaters. Mangrove Thai Food was fantastic and not to be missed. Our ocean villa was huge and so enjoyable for an afternoon laid back. In villa pool was also great and big enough for a decent swim. Our butler Mr. Palm is one of the best. Afternoon Spa was a great experience, really good quality.

This is a really huge resort and it needs few days just to get around and enjoy all, each room gets private golf buggy which was extremely convenient. While "no news, no shoes" but WIFI was well everywhere.

In all this is a more expensive holidays but all were really worthwhile. Hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bom2535
Dear bom 2535,
thank you very much for your kind review and I am delighted that you liked your stay with us so much. Please recommend us to your friends and colleagues and I hope to welcoming yo back soon.
Warm regards
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was our last destination, part of our 4 resort tour with andaman avdentures holiday. We were on our way back to Bangkok and thought of having one last stop off. This place adds to it perfectly. The natural setting is what makes this place truly one of the greats in Thailand. The food is excellent, the staff are amazing. I have to say that the best part is the beach. The beach here is pristine and I hope it stays that way.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri Thailand, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Ryan C,
thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that in particular you enjoyed the beach, which indeed is amazing and the best in Thailand that I have personally experienced after 11 years in working and living in the land of smiles. Yes, let's hope that Koh Kood will remain as unspoilt as it is now. Looking at what's going on (or rather not going on) on Koh Kood, I think this place will remain a hidden gem for many years to come...
With warmest regards
All over Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just returned from a romantic 3 nights in Soneva Kiri and haven't had such mixed feelings about a property in some time. On the up side, it is simply one of the most stunningly beautiful and tastefully created destinations you will probably ever find. The private plane ride on to the private airstrip, then a boat ride to the resort instantly sets you up with a sense that this is going to be special, and it doesn't disappoint. We stayed in a beachside villa which had an amazing infinity pool and lovely view, was incredibly spacious and so well designed (and private!). The main complex which you reach by your own golf cart is also superb! Picture modernist architecture done with wood, canvas and bamboo. Food is excellent and the dining at the restaurant in the mangrove is not to be missed. Not to mention the whisky cellar, ice cream bar (!!!) and chocolate room. Yes, a room devoted to chocolate. And the beach is beautiful beyond words (though infested with sand flies, so bring repellent). So far so good right? Wrong. I strongly believe that you can have the most stunning property on offer and ruin it completely with inconsistent and shoddy service. Our host (Mrs. Friday as they called her) was a dear, but unfortunately her spoken english was quite rough and made it very difficult to organize the simplest of things. We had similar difficult interactions with many of the staff who truly tried their best, but we had more than one lost-in-translation moment. I usually take this in stride and actually enjoy this aspect of travel, but you are rather dependent on your host to arrange many things so it does become a problem. Another issue is that some of their services are not available and they do not inform you before arriving - the vaunted tree-pod dining experience was out of action for maintenance and the waterfall picnic and dining was not available either. The spa was ho-hum, and not as good value for money as you can find in the other properties. And last but not least was the sleep quality. We did travel in the hottest season of the year and I had checked in advance whether the rooms have A/C, which we were assured they did. Indeed, the A/C unit is there, but it is at the back of the room (which is huge, so by 'back' I mean 5+ meters from the bed) and has absolutely no effect on the temperature at all. You need to have the mosquito net down as well so the room quickly becomes oven-like and sleep is hard to find. Heavier investment in service quality will move Soneva truly into the top leagues where it belongs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TripTestDummy
Dear Trip TestDummy,
thank you very much for taking your time to write such a comprehensive review about your recent 3 night stay with us. Naturally I am pleased to read the positive comments and what made you enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry reading that there were other areas where we failed to impress and rest assured your comments will be shared among all hosts and we will work on improvements.
Best regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

The best resort we have stayed in. Great things to do as a family or couple. Fantastic kids clubs. Superb spa. Staff are well trained and knowledgable and really helpful. The food was amazing with menus changing daily and fantastic chefs.

• Stayed April 2014
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri Thailand, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Gorfins,
thank you very much for posting your review about your recent stay with us on this forum. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed it so much and hope to welcoming you again soon.
Best regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

One of the best experience we've ever had, from collection by private plane to their private runway, to the massive tree house style rooms, the attention to detail is amazing. Cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri Thailand, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear JonnyDodge,
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Hoping that you will visit us again I remain with best regards
Boston Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Soneva Kiri isn't just a place to stay it is a complete experience from the inside out . From the moment you step on the jetty to the warmest welcome from the barefooted team who await you like a long last family member , you get the feeling things are going to be pretty good. Nothing can prepare for the natural beauty of this special island and the truly wonderful "Slow Life" ethos at Soneva Kiri which for me made my visit even more special. Where do I start ? The accommodation in luxurious villas each with their own pool was a far cry from any villa I have ever stayed in - not a concrete slab or brick in sight , instead wood, thatch and natural renewable materials nestled thoughtfully in a tropical jungle - complete with tree frogs, amazing insects and butterflies bigger than your hand, in fact the natural wildlife was incredible and every moving leaf revealed another incredible creature. Without giving away all the surprises our Miss Friday - Teako was an shining example of the seamless team of staff all playing their part of the most exemplary customer service in a less formal and stuffy way than any resort I have ever stayed. Vladimir the sommelier had a refreshing approach to wine matching and I am certain to see this enthusiastic young man go far in the world of wine. Stephan - front of house was a pleasure to meet and attention to detail was incredible - spotting guests requirements even before they had thought of them was something quite special to observe. The Thai food was so fresh , exciting and just so delicious. I was never far away from the raw food salad bar - even for breakfast I couldn't resist the organic vegetable selection , carefully chopped, tossed, dressed & delivered to your table . Amazingly the kitchens are headed up by British executive chef - Kevin Fawkes who's boundless energy at breakfast, lunch and dinner never failed to surprise me, his team worked so hard it was staggering to watch them create such fantastic dishes. (Kevin even won Thailand's Iron Chef Competition last year which shows what a great chef he is ). I can't decide which was best- lunch on the beach , the Asian night market buffet or dinner on the beach complete with torches & Bbq's - even the clear star studied sky of stars seemed to have been specially requested for guests enjoyment. Eating sustainable foods freshly harvested from the gardens was just a joy and the aromas of fresh herbs just made me drool. I can't say I have ever enjoyed yoga classes so much even in the searing heat the breathtaking views of the ocean in the tree top studio was just about as inspiring as you can get. I tried a Watsui treatment too which was just the most incredible experience - imagine floating in a pool of warm water with your eyes closed and being gentle stretched, manipulated & massaged by a therapist so close to you you can even feel their heart beat - I can't actually put in to words how amazing this treatment was with a young Thai therapist called Anne who was just superb. In between the no shoes- no news days of the clean white sandy beach and wonderful warm swims in the ocean my visit would not have been complete without a culinary experience in the "Wine Cellar". Every Friday evening the very talented head chef Mark Jones ( again from UK) hosts a private dining event named "The Laboratory" a tasting experience is served without a menu and diners are encouraged to make notes to see if they can identify and describe the amazing food and wine they are served. It was extremely entertaining and a brilliant way for guests to interact with diners they haven't ever met before. Mark's skill was superb and I would challenge any one to taste his "special tartare" dish and come up with it's ingredients at first guess. "The View" restaurant also needs a visit - you will see how it got it's name - stunning ! I need to mention the Eco tours headed by the resident Naturalist Georgina who will show you how the "Slow Life" ethos makes this destination so unique . She will even share the secrets of where the best passions fruit grow and the lemon grass is harvested for dinner. It is also the only place I have ever been where being Vegan doesn't get your waiter running for cover in the kitchen. The choice of food was staggering and actually I enjoyed becoming a Vegan myself for a few days . I will leave you to discover the rest and hope you enjoy your visit as much as I did - for me the food was the highlight of my stay. Soneva Kiri should never be described as a resort, hotel or even destination it should be described as simply "A truly wonderful experience " .

Room Tip: No need to nothing other than amazing
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear WendyPreston2014,
thank you for posting such a glowing review about your recent stay with us. Naturally I am delighted to read this. Korb khun mak na kapom...
Warm regards