“Luxury without fuss”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Singapore, Singapore
“Luxury without fuss”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Loved the travel arrangement via private plane from Bangkok, very well executed. Island was lovely, great beach, huge villa and private pool, nice facilities and good restaurants, all to be expected from that class of resort. Only thing I did not like was the GM who seemed to talj down to his guests, not what I expect from a resort of that class where service at all levels is key. Other than that experience throughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Travel-planner-mum
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Travel-planner-mum,
thank you for taking your time to post your impression and experiences of your stay at Soneva Kiri. I am delighted that they were positive. As the GM writing this response personally I am naturally disappointed to read that I appear to have given a not so favourable impression to you. I noticed that you visited us in August 2013 and I have been thinking long and hard to recall any particular incident from back then. I am hoping, though, that by reading from fellow contributors on this forum that this attitude may be an isolated occurrence, as I think of myself actually being the opposite from what you described.
Frank Grassmann
General Manager (a sad GM right now...)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was the last place on our 4-destination tour overseen by the good folk from Andaman Sky - - and it was also the best – we knew we were saving the best till last and that is exactly what happened. The only thing wrong with our stay here was the thought of having to return to the working world in Bangkok : ) Our Room, the pools, the food and drinks, the LARGE resort grounds and its sandy, quiet beach – they all were spot on. We particularly liked the trendy beach bar, which is a great place to take in the sunset. Nothing to fault here !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear pottyjohn,
thank you for posting your impression of your stay with us on this forum. I am happy to read that you had such a good time. The team and I hope that you will be able to return soon.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We spend 9 days at Soneva Kiri as a family. The resort is quite remote and on the whole island is not much you can do except enjoy the amazing nature and sports.
The resort itself offers everything that you can expect, from Spa, gym, tennis court to all kinds of water sports.
The service in general was excellent and the food was very fresh and marvelous. I really liked the fact that they use local products as much as possible, lots of it from their own gardens and own production. I rellay must say that the food their is quite exceptional, in all their restaurants.
The whole staff was very friendly and they really tried to accommodate every wish.
The only thing I would like to mention is the state of the villa which we had. Even though the building is not very old, it has already an "old" look and it gave the impression it really needed to be refreshed. After a storm some of the bamboo on the roof had fallen off, with nails attached to it. I think the hotel management is trying to maintain the villas as best as possible, but the humidity is really destroying things fast. The inside of the villa also had a "used" look. I did not think this was a grave factor, but looking at a 5 star hotel in this price range I would have expected a villa of higher quality inside and outside. In general the prices are on the "high" side, I do not think it is justified everywhere, for example in the spa and the drinks.
But again, all in all we had a wonderful vacation, and I would recommend it to all who want to have a tranquil time in a nice surrounding with excellent service and all amenities.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the newer villas
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Katamete,
thank you very much for posting your review on this forum. I am glad to read that you had a good time with us. I have particularly taken note of the required maintenance of the villas. In fact, we have to conduct constant maintenance in all areas of the resort and this is an annual and reoccurring activity we have to do. It is a hard job but the result is that the resort creates this amazing ambience and feeling when one stays with us. This would not be possible if we would use different long lasting materials. It appears that you were allocated a villa that has not recently been done, for which I apologize. Thank you for recommending us to your friends and colleagues.
With warm regards
Bangkok
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Our three days at the Soneva Kiri were exceptionally brilliant experience, from checked in at the DMK airport counter (a little problem as it was different counter from their final confirmation) all the way to the villa and back. We were very well treated and impressed throughout. Opted for the full board option which were beyond our expectation, just wish we could be a bigger eaters. Mangrove Thai Food was fantastic and not to be missed. Our ocean villa was huge and so enjoyable for an afternoon laid back. In villa pool was also great and big enough for a decent swim. Our butler Mr. Palm is one of the best. Afternoon Spa was a great experience, really good quality.

This is a really huge resort and it needs few days just to get around and enjoy all, each room gets private golf buggy which was extremely convenient. While "no news, no shoes" but WIFI was well everywhere.

In all this is a more expensive holidays but all were really worthwhile. Hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bom2535
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear bom 2535,
thank you very much for your kind review and I am delighted that you liked your stay with us so much. Please recommend us to your friends and colleagues and I hope to welcoming yo back soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was our last destination, part of our 4 resort tour with andaman avdentures holiday. We were on our way back to Bangkok and thought of having one last stop off. This place adds to it perfectly. The natural setting is what makes this place truly one of the greats in Thailand. The food is excellent, the staff are amazing. I have to say that the best part is the beach. The beach here is pristine and I hope it stays that way.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Ryan C,
thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that in particular you enjoyed the beach, which indeed is amazing and the best in Thailand that I have personally experienced after 11 years in working and living in the land of smiles. Yes, let's hope that Koh Kood will remain as unspoilt as it is now. Looking at what's going on (or rather not going on) on Koh Kood, I think this place will remain a hidden gem for many years to come...
With warmest regards
All over Europe
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just returned from a romantic 3 nights in Soneva Kiri and haven't had such mixed feelings about a property in some time. On the up side, it is simply one of the most stunningly beautiful and tastefully created destinations you will probably ever find. The private plane ride on to the private airstrip, then a boat ride to the resort instantly sets you up with a sense that this is going to be special, and it doesn't disappoint. We stayed in a beachside villa which had an amazing infinity pool and lovely view, was incredibly spacious and so well designed (and private!). The main complex which you reach by your own golf cart is also superb! Picture modernist architecture done with wood, canvas and bamboo. Food is excellent and the dining at the restaurant in the mangrove is not to be missed. Not to mention the whisky cellar, ice cream bar (!!!) and chocolate room. Yes, a room devoted to chocolate. And the beach is beautiful beyond words (though infested with sand flies, so bring repellent). So far so good right? Wrong. I strongly believe that you can have the most stunning property on offer and ruin it completely with inconsistent and shoddy service. Our host (Mrs. Friday as they called her) was a dear, but unfortunately her spoken english was quite rough and made it very difficult to organize the simplest of things. We had similar difficult interactions with many of the staff who truly tried their best, but we had more than one lost-in-translation moment. I usually take this in stride and actually enjoy this aspect of travel, but you are rather dependent on your host to arrange many things so it does become a problem. Another issue is that some of their services are not available and they do not inform you before arriving - the vaunted tree-pod dining experience was out of action for maintenance and the waterfall picnic and dining was not available either. The spa was ho-hum, and not as good value for money as you can find in the other properties. And last but not least was the sleep quality. We did travel in the hottest season of the year and I had checked in advance whether the rooms have A/C, which we were assured they did. Indeed, the A/C unit is there, but it is at the back of the room (which is huge, so by 'back' I mean 5+ meters from the bed) and has absolutely no effect on the temperature at all. You need to have the mosquito net down as well so the room quickly becomes oven-like and sleep is hard to find. Heavier investment in service quality will move Soneva truly into the top leagues where it belongs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TripTestDummy
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Trip TestDummy,
thank you very much for taking your time to write such a comprehensive review about your recent 3 night stay with us. Naturally I am pleased to read the positive comments and what made you enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry reading that there were other areas where we failed to impress and rest assured your comments will be shared among all hosts and we will work on improvements.
Best regards
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The best resort we have stayed in. Great things to do as a family or couple. Fantastic kids clubs. Superb spa. Staff are well trained and knowledgable and really helpful. The food was amazing with menus changing daily and fantastic chefs.

• Stayed April 2014
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Gorfins,
thank you very much for posting your review about your recent stay with us on this forum. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed it so much and hope to welcoming you again soon.
Best regards