First things first : If you are a serious wildlife enthusiast then a visit to jim corbett is only worth if you get a booking for stay in one of the Forest rest houses inside the jungle especially the one located in Dhikala area...There is a long list of reasons why you should do so but you will realise the same if you stay at some other place like i did.
Anyways coming back to my review of JJM : We had a pleasant 3 nights stay here and the staff especially is quite good and friendly. They also have some permanent wild life enthusiasts on there roll and there are some good video sessions on wildlife in the evenings.You can also go for walks or cycling around the property (though dont expect to encounter much, these are all only short trips around the boundary ) Food is also good though ocassionaly some of the dishes tasted bland.
But inspite of all this i still got a feel that this one of those commercialised resorts which are only interested in making money rather than really being interested in the wildlife. I myself found the place to be a little on the overpriced side. The same experience could have been much better if the had say charged maybe about Rs. 2000 lesser per day.
But the thing that really put me off the place was the fact that they charge heavily for miscellaneous items (apart from their room rent ) like pickup form railway station and early or late checkout. One can hardly expect to get any public transport to their place since it is located outside the town area near the jhirna forest range and you have to cross a dry river bed (!!) to get to them. So i found it highly unreasonable that they charged for station drop and pickpup. Also most of the trains reach ramnagar(nearest railway station ) in the early morning and leave in the later part of night so their charging me 2000 Rs extra each for early checkin or checkout was also quite steep for me....And this too when the place wasnt overbooked or anything......
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Jim’s Jungle Retreat - an eco-sensitive wildlife lodge that invites you to the Seek the Tiger, Find the Jungle. Rated exceptional by our patrons, we look forward to hosting you with personalized service and attention to detail. Set astride in Raj-camp style, among wild trees and water bodies, your suite’s unique eco-systems provide personal sanctuary on 15 acres of terrain.Instinct-sharpening moments are guaranteed in this ‘land of roar and trumpet song', with unique jeep and elephant safaris and nature walks. Or relax by the pool and relish our scrumptious local cuisine.A forest environment awaits you at the retreat, located along the buffer forest of Corbett National Park’s southern edge. Aloof from civilization, the seasonal river nearby hosts grazing deer, root-digging wild hog and migrating elephant herds that can be enjoyed from the safety of our solar fenced property. Our water bodies and forest cover, planted over a decade, are now home to several bird and smaller mammalian species.As an eco-sensitive lodge with 18 residences spread over 15 acres, our conservation practices include waste management, the use of solar energy, organic vegetables grown for the table and the recycling of bath water through a root-zone treatment plant for irrigation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Jim's Jungle Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jim`s Jungle Retreat Hotel Corbett
- Jims Jungle Retreat Ramnagar