Eden Lodge
Aviavy Hotel(Nosy Be)
L'Heure Bleue(Nosy Be)
Ankify Lodge(Ambanja)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsnosy befishbeautiful beachlunch and dinnernight walkthatched roofstayed nightscoral reefvegetable gardenfood was amazingmini barmassage areaevery afternoonwonderful experiencemy daughtera great stayperfect place to relax
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Spent three nights here after sailing islands around nosy be. It is heavenly. Beautiful beach with reef a few meters off shore where we swam with turtles. The new manager who had just arrived and her staff were very helpful and did everything with good grace. We played petanque and watched Nelson Mandela's funeral with the staff. The rooms are beautiful and there are only eight of them so the lodge is unlikely to ever feel crowded. Most of the time we were there we were the only guests.

Its hard not to give this slice of paradise full marks. But there is room for improvement - the food. It wasn't bad, but it was the only part of the experience that wasn't five star. Simpler dishes focused on the wonderful fresh ingredients they have ready access to (wonderful fruit, fish etc) could take the meals to a higher level.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Indradl
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed for a week at the end of a two week trip to Madagascar. Coming off the boat from Nosy Be we were given a warm welcome by Fabien, the manager. He offered us breakfast as it was still very early, even though this was not included in our itinerary, before leaving us for a welcome snooze on the beach while our room was vacated by the previous guests and made ready.

We were then taken along the sand to the room, number 7 of 8. It was lovely, very roomy, shower room and separate toilet at the back – they were under the main roof but otherwise open air. Lovely shower gel and shampoo provided and plenty of towels. The bed was big and comfortable and the room spacious with everything you need - a desk with writing equipment, a remote control fan, standard lamp, day bed and outside on the verandah 2 loungers plus a sleeping mat. At the back, a massage table, though we didn’t get round to having a massage.

The service was excellent, the staff were very accommodating and couldn’t do enough for us – I had one day with a very bad ‘holiday tummy’ and they made me cheese rolls as I couldn’t face the meal. My husband went diving to Nosy Tanikely and had a good couple of dives, with turtles, rays and plenty of fish. There was a good selection of trips available.

The hotel employs people from the neighbouring villages and from Nosy Be and has given money to the village for a new well. We played petanque with the staff and learned how to play ‘quatre’. The barman, Ouirtane, flavours his own rum and gives it away freely after dinner – watch it, it’s strong! He really looked after us and we learned a lot from him about his life and that of the local people.

The maids come to zip up the windows and door in the early evening, unfurling the mosquito nets round the bed and switching the lamps on for you. In the morning they open up again and do the cleaning. They do this every day, so the place was spotless. The beach is swept every day of any leaves that have fallen in the night.

We loved not wearing shoes for a week, loved pretty much having the beach to ourselves, snorkelling with huge turtles, taking the kayak out. We had a guided tour of the vegetable garden, grounds and neighbouring village. We saw the black lemurs in the late afternoon most days, just playing in the trees around the grounds, saw (briefly) and heard the fork-marked lemurs at night (noisy!). We strolled on our own around the grounds of the hotel and saw many birds and lizards.

The food was inventive and well-cooked, using locally grown and sourced produce, with very little brought in from Nosy Be. Breakfast was excellent, big plateful of pastries, 3 types of home made ‘jam of the day’, fruit juice, tea and coffee and choice of eggs, pancake etc. More than enough to get you through to lunch.

Lunch and dinner were what I would describe as ‘fancy’ and ‘rich’ – this is not for everyone and we would have liked something a little more plain as a balance. I had fresh lobster I think 3 times - don't get me wrong, I loved it as a concept but that is not the kind of food I eat at home and it can get a bit much after a while if you're not used to it.

The dinner menu is the same as lunch each day with 3 choices of starters, 3 mains with different accompaniments and 3 desserts. Each day was a different menu though, so always something different to try.

Everything is solar powered, laundry is done using local washing balls, not nasty detergents, and came back the next day softer than it ever is when I wash it. Everything is done to minimise the impact on the environment.

This is my experience of Eden Lodge at the same time as the unhappy guest below who left early and I agree it’s not for everyone. However, we found the service excellent and although the food was a bit rich for us, we had a lovely relaxing time and have very happy memories of the place. For a few days relaxation, it really is a piece of paradise.

Room Tip: Room 1 is nearest the reception area and 8 furthest away. Ample space for privacy between each room, just slightly further to stroll down the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathryn K
Reviewed 8 December 2013

After spending almost 3 weeks trekking in Madagascar, we had booked 5 nights at Eden Lodge. From the website the place looked amazing and we liked the fact that the location was remote.

When we arrived at the beach we were welcomed by the General Manager. He was very polite and extremely friendly. He guided us around the site, showed us the restaurant/lounge area and to our amazing lodge. He explained everything about what Eden Lodge is about and the activities that we can book.

Since we had done a lot of activities before we arrived at Eden Lodge we used our stay just for relaxing, snorkeling with sea turtles and interacted with the locals.

The staff at Eden Lodge was extremely friendly and helpful. They teached us how to play board games and petanque. They also invited us to play with them in the afternoon, witch we did.
The food was amazing! Everyday 3 course meal for lunch and dinner. Always good choices of fish, seafood and meat (chicken, duck or zebu).

As mentioned in one of the earlier rewievs - This place is not for everybody. If you expect a five star hotel with several floors, different restaurants and bar, a pool and some musicians entertaining you at all time this is not the place for you. Eden Lodge is an idyllic, cozy and remote place where you relax and entertain yourself. But you have a lot of opportunities and offers for activities to choose from. We travelled around in the most remote places in Madagascar for four weeks, and we tasted a lot of different food - Eden Lodge serves excellent food with a good variation.
After dinner you should also try the local rum in different flavours.

It was also a very positive surprise that the room was clean and set up both in the morning and the afternoon by the maids.

This was the perfect place to end our honeymoon. It`s paradise!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Backpack20
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked Eden Lodge to finish up a tour of Madagascar. I arrived tired hot and dusty from a long journey but after a warm welcome by the charming manager, with a complimentary drink and an introduction to the hotel, I was shown to my room just along the beach from the bar. It was perfect. The room was large, clean with lots of little touches to make my stay comfortable. I could feel the aches and pains drift away.
I chose Eden Lodge for it's eco principles and it certainly stands by those principles but this does not mean going without luxury. The shower was spacious with copious warm water and the bed had fresh crisp linen. The food was delicious and well presented with ample choice. Please note: I have travelled widely and stayed in many top hotels so I feel I am qualified to make this statement. Best of all was the friendly staff from the bar and restaurant staff to the water sports hut staff to the sweet girl who gave the best massage in Africa. Do not hesitate to book Eden Lodge and enjoy the natural environment without damaging the very thing you came to see. While I was there Lemurs came down to the bar area around 4 o'cock and most the day you could snorkle off the beach with turtles and brightly coloured fish.

Room Tip: With only eight rooms there is little to choose between them. I had room 4 and this was set back a little to give more privacy but it really wouldn't matter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at the Eden Lodge at the end of our Madagascar trip. We had a great time and can thoroughly recommend this place. The tents are great, very spacious and a special feeling to wake up to the sound of the waves and the lemurs. The staff is very friendly - join them for a daily game of petanque and some home made rum after dinner. The food was great as well, especially the very fresh seafood options.

The lodge offers also really good activities, snorkelling opportunities and excursions. Philippe was a great guide and we had a lot of fun while also learning a lot about the country. Overall we felt
very well taken care off and can really recommend this place for everyone who likes to really relax in a beautiful setting.

Luc Bulles