“Decent business hotel”

Camino Real Monterrey
Atlanta, Georgia
“Decent business hotel”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed three nights at the Camino Real for work. It's in a safe area, and has many restaurant options at the mall next door. If you'd rather not venture out, room service is good as well. I also liked the fact that the taxi back to the airport can be billed to your room in advance. Overall, if you find yourself in Monterrey, this is a solid choice.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I found the Camino Real to be a wonderful hotel!

The room was spacious enough for me to do my daily exercise routine. I had a king size bed with a very comfortable mattress, however- there are 9 pillows on the bed and a TON of blankets. Now I'm from up north, Chicago- and I'm typically always hot. So I found all the blankets to be overkill. I generally crank the air conditioning down as low as it can go and sleep with just a single sheet. So it was a pain to pull all those blankets off every night, but that's my issue- not the hotel's.

The windows are covered with two roller shades on chains. The outer most shade sits in a groove cut into the window frame and is totally opaque so it can block out all the light. Sadly, one of my windows, the shade would not stay in the groove and as the sun came up it lit up the room. However- i usually plan ahead and bring a sleeping mask- and this trip was no exception.

Bathroom is quite large but for some reason there weren't any locks on either of the bathroom or toilet stall door. i thought it odd, but i was alone so- whatever. The shower head could use some CLR as it seemed to have a bit of mineral build up.

TV- i didn't watch any. I have a Slingbox back home which i connected to over the hotel WiFi and it worked quite well. WiFi is strong and allowed me to stream TV shows from my home back in Chicago. The desk area has a Herman Miller chair- I was quite impressed by it and wanted to take it home.

I had a chance to dine at both restaurants. The Italian restaurant was very good and laid back. The pan-Asian Kyo Grill was excellent and would be perfect for a date night. It is a bit dark in the Kyo Grill so you may have trouble reading the menu. The decor is quite wonderful and there's like a 50 foot Buddha statue in the room. It's really something to see. Prices are on par with other mid to high end hotel restaurants, read- expect to spend about 40 dollars US per person before tax, tip, and drinks.

I didn't wander out past the hotel much as i was spending most my time at my company's factory. However, there is a huge mall a half block away and a Starbucks is there as well if you just can't seem to live without your grande triple shot, no whip, caramel, and whatever else you can think of mocha.

I can recommend this hotel and put it on par with the other fine hotels in Monterrey.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel had very nice decor and amenities that included a nice gym with free weights and a loooong lap pool with comfortable chairs to lay on. I also liked the location as it was next to a mall with restaurants and a Starbucks. The also have a nice all-around restaurant called BiCe for all meals and an outstanding asian restaurant called Kyo with decor liked I've not seen before...very authentic.

Some of the downsides were you had to pay for internet, the "guest" lounge offered continental breakfast but you had to pay, the shower head could not be adjusted and pointed straight down with a low flow head, and (this may sound weird), but there were too many light switches...I could not figure out sometimes how to turn a specific light off : )

Overall, I was pleased with the hotel and I would stay there again on my trip down.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Wm R
North Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Ok ok ok I know it's more like a business class hotel in Monterrey than a family one, but let's put it like that. It's located in one of the best areas of the city, it has a straight pass I one of the biggest malls in town, great architecture, awesome mattresses, a Starbucks right nest to it!!! Clean, and affordable. I just love to stay here!!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Luis R
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Camino Real in Monterrey is just OK for an almost-old Hotel.
It serves well the business traveler; rooms are spacious and well furnished, although some items really need an upgrade: TV is TERRIBLE (very few channels and the worst image quality), shower heads need to be de-clogged.
For some reason, check-in and check-out is always full and somehow slow.
A little expensive for what it offers, but Hotel Location is really good: right next door to a new, upscale mall with many, many dining/bar options.

3 Thank Fer T
Campinas, SP
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed in Camino real monterrey in a business trip. A colleague older than me also got a room in the same hotel. We both liked very much the location, by its side you can grab Starbucks coffee and the shopping mall is just in its right, 1 minute walk. There are amazing bars and restaurants in the 2nd floor and 3 food courts for fast food.
I requested breaskfast and internet to be included in the charge and I found it less expensive than having the individual services there.
They have swimming pool which i did not use, they have a gym center, very simple, but enough for working out and very clean, free bottle of water available. Open up till late.
The breakfast restaurant (mezanino) is formal , so wait to be seated. Food is amazing ...
Some evenings there were people knocking my door to ofdfer complimentary bottle of water, I liked that.
I would recommend this hotel and if have the chance to come back to Monterrey that´s the place I would choose.

Room Tip: The shopping mall view is better because you will have more privacy...the one to the street is not g...
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I had to go to Monterrey for work and I was not happy that I couldn't stay at a Hilton or Starwood property. But, once I checked in, I was quite pleased. The bathroom is 'to die' with a beautiful lighting arrangement that makes anyone look glamorous. The rainfall shower was high pressured and comforting every morning. The closet and drawers being in the bathroom made getting ready for work every morning a breeze (I wonder why more hotels don't adopt this approach). The next best part of my stay was the Bistro restaurant, which had a fantastic breakfast buffet with an omelet bar, that also was opened for entree orders when finished my workday at 10pm. Hotel service, in general, was endearing and warm, and housekeeping did a great job. Finally the KYO restaurant is a treat to be experienced, if you get the chance. The floating Buddha was jaw dropping. I highly recommend this hotel/