“Rwenzori Moutains National Park”

Rwenzori Moutains National Park
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Kasese
More attraction details
Owner description: This mountainous area may be better known as the "Mountains of the Moon."
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is a spectacular place tucked away in a remote corner of Uganda, bordering Congo. The view of the mountain range as you drive towards it from Fort Portal is Awsome!! This range borders Uganda and Congo. A village nestled just at the foot of these mountains is rustic and has just the bare necessities for travelers. Ask for hotel Vanilla which is the best the village can offer. You can go for hikes in the mountain ranges with a local guide. There is a hot water spring nearby but the entrance fee by the Government is steep. The main commercial activity of Bundibugyo is growing Cocoa beans and coffee beans. The best cocoa beans of the country is grown here.

1  Thank UVKINI

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I got a chance to see the natural vegetation, then the unique three horned chameleon plus the beautiful scenery of the Mountain of the moon peaks. I also learn t about the Bakonzo culture

1  Thank Y-eddie45
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Hello,
This for those interested by trekking the rwenzori with RMS (Rwenzori mountaineering services). The website http://www.rwenzorimountaineeringservices.com/ is no longer in use by RMS, they do not have the control on it, but ex-employees still have the password. So any information coming from an e-mail or phone call to the addresses and numbers detailed in the website are NOT related with any RMS employees. I've made the experience at my expenses.
I was in e-mail contact with a Mr Elisha, an ex-RMS employee who claimed he was an RMS staff. He answered all my questions by mail and was very accurate. In the end of the process, when we agreed on prices and itineraries, he gave me a few account numbers (german based, US based and Uganda based) so that I could make a deposit. I did a deposit of 1,000US$. Fortunately enough, it was blocked somewhere by a careful bank. I did not realize it when I first arrived in Kasese.
It was such an nightmare when we arrived in Kasese. When we arrived, this guy, Elisha came (in the hotel, somehow he looked like he did not really wanted to go to the office, so that led me to think something was wrong), after we summarized the planned trip, he wanted all the money. I said 'ok, but let's go to the office so that you make me a proper receipt'. Somehow he was in contact we the accountant who looked very uncomfortable. The accountant did not tell me at once that he was an imposter so that it added to the already confused situation.
At some point I realized something was wrong. I lost my trust in RMS. But the manager called me and proposed me to negotiate directly with him in his office at the HQ (base of trail). And there he told me that he was about to send the police after this guy because he refused to hand him the password over and was detouring people from its organization.
Conclusion of this: do not trust this website or any information you get from phone calls or e-mails. Go directly to the head office at the base of the trail (in the Kasese office, there is only an accountant who can't decide on anything (nor itinerary, nor discount)). Go and check with Mr Stanley, the manager.
And the end of the day, we had a nice experience thanks to the guides who were skillful. However, we met another group with RMS guides, who were not that skillful, so it depends on who you will go with. But the prices are very high for what it was, and the wages of the staff are very low. So tips are expected to be high and you should foresee a minimum of 150US$ for tipping your team at the end of this difficult trek.
Good luck,
Tim

8  Thank Tim C
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We did a 2-day trekking with with our 3 daughters: the Kilembe Trail. The trail is very well maintained and the scenery is beautiful, going through different types of vegetation. We stayed in Kalalama Camp (3150m). Services from Rwenzori Trekking Services are very good. I regret we did not plan more days in the Park!

3  Thank Dirk3061
Reviewed 20 July 2013

When I signed up for the 8 day Mt. Margherita hike, I knew that it would be tough and scenic but nothing could have prepared me for such a unique experience. The guides at Rwenzori Trekking Services (RTS) were excellent. Each day, they would clearly explain the plan and expectations of the day. Whenever we needed assistance or had a special request, they were happy to help. The camps are nicely constructed and usually clean. If they were not, they were quickly attended to after we made a request. The mud can be frustrating. For about six days straight, you are walking in knee deep mud, which makes hiking much more difficult. The guides are encouraging and extremely helpful in helping you balance whilst you pull your foot out!

The trek is challenging and more technical than expected. Take the fitness preparation seriously. The staff at RTS were amazing. From the porters to the cooks to the guides, every one was very kind, knowledgeable and helpful. Spending time with them was one of the highlights of the trip. The scenery is stunning. You pass through many different vegetation zones and the variation is incredible. Crossing a glacier is an awesome experience. The guides provide a thorough brief and I felt safe the entire time.

I was in Uganda for ten months and this trek was certainly one of the highlights of my time there. Ask to have Wuziah as a guide, he's fantastic!

3  Thank jmt575