All reviewscooked breakfastpeddars waythe main housenorth norfolkgarden roomown devicesquality furnishingsmini barthought of everythingstayed longera fantastic place to staybreakfast tableget away from it allwelcoming hostscooked optionsself containedb and b
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Firstly, I need to make clear that I have never actually stayed at Magazine Wood – it probably is (and looks as though it is) a lovely to place to stay but…… My now husband and I had booked to stay for a night at the end of August for a one night mini-moon. We got married on a Friday and we had to be back at work on the Monday but we wanted to go away somewhere peaceful on the Saturday just to have a little break – we were really looking forward to it after all the wedding madness. I booked direct via their website and received a booking confirmation stating plain to see the booking with all the usual details, accommodation, check-in times and my credit card payment details. Like most people nowadays, when booking online, if the place is available you book, receive an email confirmation and that’s it.

For some reason, call it a sixth sense, I decided to call Magazine Wood two days before my wedding day just to check all was confirmed – I was shocked when they told me that they had no recollection of my booking on the phone and were already booked up that weekend. The man I spoke to wasn’t sympathetic at all and told me the owner was away and that he would call me back - the owner did call me back and I explained the situation to him. He was quite defensive at first and told me that they don’t take bookings for one night only and if it was booked I would have received a welcome pack email. I explained that at no point during the booking process was I led to believe that I couldn’t stay for less than 2 nights and that the booking went through and I received a confirmation email! In the end, he come round to seeing it from my side and said their online booking system must have been at fault and that he would look into it but could not currently do so as he was away and that he would deal with it when he was back - which wouldn’t be until the night before my wedding! Organising a wedding is stressful enough and you at least want to know if and where you are going away and leaving it until the night before my wedding day was too late so I had to book an alternative hotel in an entirely different location all together. I notified the owner that it was just too late and that we had found alternative accommodation to then be told he would look into it for us and rest assured would get back to us and sort something out. Well, it has been a month and I still haven’t heard from the owner. I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt and that he will try to compensate us in some way but I have heard absolutely nothing. This is a terrible way to treat people and added a great deal of stress to the couple of days leading up to my wedding frantically trying to book somewhere else last minute!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank M R
JonathanB777, Owner at Magazine Wood, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

I am so sorry that you weren’t able to stay at Magazine Wood. We weren’t defensive, we were just completely baffled. We never received a booking request from you, no deposit was ever processed and no reservation statement confirming this was ever sent to you. Furthermore we never offer single night Saturday stays in August and the dates you referred to had already been booked many months previously.

Nevertheless, as this was such a special occasion and even though we were actually abroad on our annual family holiday, I did offer to organise accommodation that you would be happy with. I duly arranged the use of an amazingly romantic private 5 star converted boat house overlooking Brancaster Cove. I am sure you would have been thrilled with it but in the meantime you sent a text to say that you had sorted yourselves elsewhere.

Upon returning to the UK, I spoke with MyUKTravel who manage our web booking service and they said it was very unlikely but ultimately possible that you had received an automated acknowledgement in error. If this was the case I am sorry and it should have been clearer that this was an automated response. We have never had this problem before I have asked them to re-word this automatic email reply to clearly advise that we always provide a detailed booking confirmation and card transaction receipt within 24 hours.

It’s always disappointing to receive a negative review especially from someone who has never actually stayed with us. Please do call us if you would like to visit Magazine Wood and we will happily arrange your stay personally.

Jonathan

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Three wonderfull days and nights at the most tranquill b&q in Sedgeford Norfolk, the whole place is stunning,it's convenient for all the North Norfolk resorts and sits on Peddlars way so great for walkers. Everything you could need for a short break is provided from an iron to an umbrella and torch. The continental breakfast is great although a cooked breakfast is an extra £6 and boiled egg and soldiers also an expensive £6?! All cooked options are £6.The resident hosts were not at home for our stay although we had emailed in advance and got confirmation that we would be arriving any time after 1pm we were not greeted until 4pm when our host turned up, (we were very worried that she had come to some harm)so we were left to wait in the garden for a good hour. But overall this is a gem of a place and we would not hesitate to return. Sedgeford is a delightfulll village and we had a good meal at the King William 1 1/ 2 miles down the road

Room Tip: We stayed in Coast with our friends next door in walkers which can be interconnetable. The veranda lovely for relaxing and soaking up the tranquility of the surroundings. Walkers catches the last of the evening sun and is a little bigger.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
JonathanB777, Owner at Magazine Wood, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for your excellent review and sorry we were away during your visit. I think we may have got our wires crossed as we thought you would arrive around 1pm and Annunziata went to walk the dogs and feed the horses at 3pm which unfortunately delayed your check-in but I'm glad you had a good stay.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

It was great to find the reality was as described, everything was just this... the accommodation, the delicious breakfast, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left we thoroughly recommend this beautiful location, will definitely go back

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you and I hope to see you again at Magazine Wood

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We enjoyed our 6 nights in 'Walkers', and would highly recommend this as a place to stay. Lovely location, convenient for trips out to coast and elsewhere. Extremely comfortable accommodation and very hospitable hosts.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Beautiful setting in rolling countryside. A beautifully decorated, enormous room. Cereals, juice, fruit salad, breads and croissants in the room so you don't even need to leave for breakfast. Welcoming hosts but also complete privacy. Magazine Wood has all of these. We stayed just one night but Magazine Wood would be a fabulous, luxury base to explore the north Norfolk coast for longer. We hope to go back some day. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden room which has an outside patio
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

I don't think I can add anything to that except to say that you were lovely to have around!