“Drinks until late, and a great breakfast next morning.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of William IV Hotel

William IV Hotel
East Sussex, UK
“Drinks until late, and a great breakfast next morning.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

The 'William IV Hotel' is conveniently situated at the south end of the main street in the town of BIRTLEY in County Durham,(and it is most certainly NOT located in the town of Chester-le-Street as 'Tripadvisor' would have you believe!)
It's around three miles north of Chester-le-Street, and some eight miles away from Newcastle's city centre in my estimation, and I would add that I feel it fair to say that it comes within the category of a north country pub offering 'Bed and Breakfast.'

Frequent bus services operate from Birtley to Newcastle-upon-Tyne,Gateshead,Durham,Chester-le-Street, Bishop Auckland etc.,and in fact the bus stop for all these destinations is situated just outside the hotel.
The main attractions locally are the Beamish Museum which is only a short bus ride away, and the 'Angel of the North' sculpture which is just outside Birtley town. Should you fancy a shopping expedition there are direct buses also to the 'Metrocentre' in Gateshead which I'm told is the largest shopping centre in the UK - and,Yes! it is big, but it's well worth a visit, especially if it's raining or cold as the 'Metrocentre' complex is entirely under cover. The city of Newcastle-upon-Tyne itself is absolutely fantastic! - and very well worth a visit!

Whilst I initally discovered the 'William IV Hotel' over the internet, there were unfortunately no facilities available to enable me to book online at this hotel, so I had to telephone the hotel direct (01914 102739) in order to secure my reservation - a ten pound deposit was requested over the phone, which I paid by plastic, and I paid the residue of my account for our four night stay commencing 20th October 2010 upon our arrival at the hotel.
We were visiting relations,hence the necessity for my wife and myself requiring accommodation in Birtley,which to be truthful was a destination that I would not had considered staying at normally, as it is simply an ordinary north country town just as I had expected, albeit a very pleasant one however.
My double room for my wife and myself cost £40 each night which was not too horrific for this day and age bearing in mind that it included a full breakfast(and a good one at that!)

My double room (No.7) was located on the first floor, and although basic, it was quite satisfactory, and it had it's own bathroom and the bed was comfortable enough.
A fifteen inch television and a kettle with tea and coffee(although my wife observed that the kettle could well had done with an interior clean due to fungus being present) were provided in the room,and my room was adequately warm as the central heating was switched on, and hot water was always available for your baths and washing.
However on the Friday and Saturday nights that I stayed there, Karaoke events took place downstairs in the bar which could be rather noisy, and the noise carried upstairs to the bedrooms including ours, and whilst to be perfectly truthful it did not unduly trouble me, I do consider that should you be a light sleeper you might bear this point in mind as the Karaoke sessions did not finish until around 2am.

Breakfast was served from 7.30am until 9am (perhaps 9.30am, I can't remember which now, but most certainly until 9am) daily, and this was absolutely superb and comprised fruit juice,tea or coffee served together with a complete english ' fry up' which was an extremely delicious and substantial way to start one's day - so I certainly do award top marks here, I must say!
The manageress and her staff were most courteous to my wife and myself at all times during our stay, and it really was most pleasurable to had stayed here, and I do hope that in view of all this I will be able to visit this establishment again sometime very soon.

In a nutshell should you be seeking a '5 Star' hotel with all the frills, I'm afraid that this is not the place for you to be, and I'd suggest that you consider staying at a superior hotel in Newcastle-upon-Tyne where they are plentiful(although way beyond my own pocket!) - However,should you be a budget traveller and just require a basic and comfortable warm room with good public transport facilities nearby, as well as a good breakfast each morning, and with the added convenience of a bar just downstairs selling drinks at reasonable prices, I'm sure that 'The William IV Hotel' in Birtley would suit you very well indeed............ just as it did me!!!

And Yes! - when we return to see our relations in Birtley again, I for one,would be most pleased to stay here again at 'The William IV Hotel.'

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Roger-from-Sussex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester-le-Street
Lumley Castle Hotel
Moorings Hotel
Moorings Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chester-le-Street
Chilton Country Pub and Hotel

Been to William IV Hotel? Share your experiences!