“Always superb ”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
“Always superb ”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Early Saturday evening - efficient service, beautiful napkins in spite of foul weather outside, music in the background which was quiet enough to talk over, generally excellent.
Now we get to the food. £52 for 4 main courses with soft drinks. Regardless of price, it's some of the best Indian food anywhere (or perhaps it's just the balance of flavours that I was brought up with). Not hot, just flavourful. Not pumped full of salt and flavour enhancer, lots of spices and the true flavour of the vegetables. Little portions of delicious rice instead of stuffing yourself indiscriminately.
Definitely recommend

2 Thank Hugo M

Chester-le-Street, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food on our doorstep”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We live in Chester le Street and this restaurant is 10 minutes walk from our home. Even if it wasn't, we would make a special journey to come here. The food is always well cooked and beautifully flavoured. The staff are helpful without exception and the restaurant itself is well laid out with a nice atmosphere. The special offer menu on a Sunday night is particularly good value. We've eaten here loads of times and will continue to do so.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Michaela H
Durham, United Kingdom
“Worst takeaway food...ever”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

This place has some pretty good reviews so thought I would give it a try for a Saturday night takeaway, big mistake, I had the 'house special' my wife had a Jalfrezi, both ended up in the bin, very bland at best, certainly very disappointing...May be a one off but be aware!

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Bill N
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply Perfect!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Me and a friend popped in here late on a Tuesday evening. We didn't arrive till around 8:45pm but the staff were still more than happy to accommodate us! Was a quiet evening in the restaurant but the standards were the same as they've always been, very high! I've been here on a few previous occasions and haven't had a bad meal yet! I personally recommend the Monkfish Jalfrezi. Being a restaurant supervisor myself, I often look out for bad service or ways to improve, however, I've been left stumped with this one! I've read a few reviews about the service being slow, not only is this not the case, delays are always expected when busy! Its the sign of a good restaurant! Flawless every time. The reason for 4 stars and not 5 is because I believe there is always one more improvement that can be made. I look forward to eating here again and see what's changed!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank DLM91
Chester-le-Street, United Kingdom
“Fast, efficient and delicious”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Although I have eaten at the Cookson Spice previously what puts me off is the general lack of atmosphere and ambience, notwithstanding this, my dining partner wanted to go there so there we went.
We had booked a table for early evening so wasn't expecting too many people in, we were the first and were sat down straight away, we ordered our drinks which arrived promptly and ordered our meals. A short wait later we received our starters which were delicious and plentiful, onion bhajis for my dining partner and garlic chakra for me, first time I have had this, but won't be the last. On removing our plates our waiter asked if we wanted our main meals straight away, which we did and they arrived a short time after. Chicken curry for my dining partner and Malayan Chicken for me with mushroom pilau.....very nice 2 clean plates. Please drinks and an inexpensive bill later we departed happy diners.
Pleasant experience but still no atmosphere to mention.

• Visited April 2014