“A lovely Sunday Lunch”

Cuisines: British, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I visited The Dun Cow for my mams birthday today with family. We had a lovely Sunday lunch. The food was tasty, well presented, hot and of good portion size. The vegetarian opition was especially good. The service could not be faulted and the staff made us feel very welcome indeed, they were very friendly. The atmoshere was relaxed and all our needs were catered for, Please support this traditional local pub it is well worth a visit. My family will visit again without doubt as we have had a lovely time today. Thank you to all of the staff of The Dun Cow.

4  Thank Adrienne W

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Mike. Having being told by a few friends to try the dun co
w i eventually got round to trying it. I myself had the chilli which i found to be very tasty, different to the norm with subtle tastes of different spices not just the hot you get with a normal chilli. My partner had the sea bass which looked fantastic and melted in your mouth. I myself found it was very well priced and the lager was same price as most other pubs charge. The waitress that served was very cheerful and couldn't do enough fo you and although not full to the rafters, where is now days, there were plenty of people eating around us which made the atmosphere very warming. I personally tell all my friends to try the dun cow and as yet haven't had any come back to disagree with my experience there. Thank you dun cow and the staff for an enjoyable evening.

1  Thank tadge86
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We live quite local to The Dun Cow, and had discussed going here to eat several times over the last few months...on the basis why not help your local economy?

I'll give you a good reason why not...... the food is TERRIBLE. In all fairness, we should have been alerted by their web page...... a sad, sorry and totally unhelpful piece of the web!!

We went for a bar meal mid week. First thing to notice was the pub only had 5-6 people in apart from us. That's if you choose to discount the 3 female bar staff who constantly prattled on at 110 decibels with the lady behind the bar while arranging their rotas for work.

We ordered drinks and ( VERY ) over-priced food at the bar...... I went for chilli and rice, my wife opted for the " succulent " scampi. Both came with chips, my wife's with what purported to be a side salad.

I have to say the drinks ( both guest ales ) were decent enough, no problems there.

The food.................... another matter altogether!!

It came promptly enough and served by a very friendly young waitress.

However, my wife's scampi was totally uniform in size..... and was obviously pre-formed cheap scampi, looked like the product of a visit to Farm Foods or similar. My chilli pot was okay, not brilliant but nowt to to shout about...and the rice passed muster ( it's RICE, what can you do to mess it up!? ).

However, the "sour cream" I was given was a small pot of cream which had obviously come out of a squirty can with some hideous lemon flavour, which was reminiscent of lemon scented Fairy Liquid.. HORRIBLE!!

As if that wasn't bad enough....... the chips were absolutely inedible. I don't know what they'd done to them...they seemed to have been double fried, then left to stand for hours before being re-heated. WE had one each... then another, purely to confirm our first taste wasn't wrong!

I did inform the waitress how bad they were... along with the pseudo shaving cream masquerading as sour cream.

In defence of the Dun Cow, the waitress came back and said they wouldn't charge for the food ... but an appearance from a manager wouldn't have gone amiss, rather than lump it on the young lady's shoulders to cope with.

I did take my M.I.L. here for Sunday lunch a while back ( 3 years ).... and that was okay. Not the best, but perfectly acceptable.

However... The Dun Cow served up the worst bar meal imaginable, and I'd have felt mugged if I'd paid almost £10 each for food of the poorest quality and standard imaginable.

2  Thank MikeC-R23