“It's just gets better.......”
Review of Drunken Floor - CLOSED

Drunken Floor
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2013

As we don't often get the chance to get out without our little fella we were particularly cautious where we spent a very warm evening. We chose the smiths arms and the drunken floor. Steak was on special and at 2 courses @£9.99 this was particularly money well spent. We managed to get a seat on the decking and ordered steaks a god pint of Amstel and a bottle of house. The manager took an interest in the wine selection and talked us through the choice of house wine which he had just purchased, it was, of course excellent and reasonably priced for the quality at £12.95. The steak came served with deliciously sweet, obviously thrice cooked (well maybe) home made chips served in a metal basket seasoned well with sea salt. The steak, cooked medium and was deliciously tender and lean and not a scrap of fat or gristle to be seen. This chef knows attention to detail and delivers exactly what you would wish for when you order! This was a Wednesday evening and we were pleasantly greeted by Morris dancers which made us stay for more, the atmosphere and ambience, very friendly. Then as look would have it we got the chance of a Saturday night out, we had a baby sitter and it was a no brainer where we would eat.....it had to the the drunken floor at the smiths arms.....from the grill we ordered a chicken in a peppers and black olive sauce and a chicken baked in mozzarella and tomato, both absolute quality, washed down, this time with carling and a good bottle of Chardonnay, which again, I was surprised at the quality, again recommended by the manager who has a no apologetic passion for his wines, great guy who has enrolled us in his wine tasting club which is another story..... The wife had a terrific blueberry dessert for dessert which was the best texturised piece of chefs cake I have ever tasted. Absolute compliments to the chef, who I am sure is of Michelin status. To top it all off a pianist began tinkering the ivories and an angel of a singer began belting out some quality jazz! I couldn't rate the experience better, absolutely class evening with a friendly bunch of people who just all seem to have one thing in common, to eat drink and be merry.....

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We have just visited the Drunken Floor restaurant within the Smiths Arms and had a truly wonderful meal.As an appetizer we were served a delightful gazpatcho which was lovely. For starters I had the homemade pate and my partner had the mussels. Both were delicious. We then both had the surf and turf. Perfect!. First time I have ever eaten a steak and not needed a steak knife. Delicious. Fab service and we will be back.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We were looking for place to enjoy a meal with some friends we hadn't seen in a long time and after a recommendation decided to give the Drunken Floor at the Smiths Arms pub a go. I am so glad we did. The welcome we received was so friendly and the wonderful live music with piano player and an excellent singer meant we enjoyed a drink in the lovely bar before being taken to our table in the restaurant by the manager himself. The food was fantastic and cooked to perfection and even the changes we requested to the menu to suit were made with no fuss. The service was as good as the food with nothing being too much trouble. Shaun the manager was always at hand and took a personal interest in our experience both in the restaurant and the bar, his passion for food and wine is such a pleasure to see as he informed us of some upcoming events and you can see this is more than just a job. Following dinner we went back to the bar and extended our evening thoroughly entertained with the music next to a lovely log fire on this cold and rainy night. We had such a great evening we ended up leaving the car and taking a taxi home to enjoy another drink or too. We have already booked in for our next visit and cannot wait.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I've been holding off on writing this review for some time now as there have been a few management changes and I wanted to see how things panned out. I've been a patron of The Smiths Arms for over 30yrs, its a lovely olde worlde pub and naturally when Lord Trevor took over I was eager to try out The Drunken Floor.
Don’t be put off by the grubby stair carpet and slight aroma emanating from the gents. Once you make it up to the restaurant on the first floor you'll find a pleasantly decorated room with what I guess you could describe as a nautical theme. Theres always a friendly waitress to greet you and show you to your table though I did prefer being greeted downstairs and brought up - small thing really but it's those little touches that make you feel a bit special.
As far as the food goes I'd have to say that whether its been a meal with the husband, celebrations with friends or even sunday lunch we've never been disappointed. We've tried everything from fillet steak to the seafood linguine and this weekend enjoyed a particularly delicious smoked salmon and sea bream. The food I've had here has always been well cooked and beautifully presented - it's one of the things that keep us coming back!
The waiting staff are always friendly and attentive - not in your face but there enough to know you've not been forgotten. Though quite why the new manager feels he needs to check on you immediately after the waitress has done so I have no idea.
Downstairs the bar serves a wide range of real ales which keeps the other half happy and I've usually found the bar staff to be jovial and efficient and its always nice to have a handsome young man greet you with a smile! That said i was particularly disappointed by a recent sunday evening visit. After an enjoyable Sunday lunch we decided to pop back in the evening for a drink with friends. We waited an inordinate amount of time for the young lady to serve us on what was a fairly quiet night while the manager sat the bar and caused an argument with a fellow customer creating an uneasy atmosphere. Also, the dirty boards and bowls of congealed gravy littering the bar were at best unsightly. Hardly conducive to a pleasant evening. In fact I'd have to say the only thing letting the place down is the succession of poor management Lord Trevor has elected inflict upon it and indeed us. The current manager appears to be a bizarre South African hybrid of Basil Fawlty and Manuel. I dont want to be talked at about the 7-course taster menu with wine. If that interested me I'd have booked for it.
If Lord Trevor can sort out his persistent management issues - at least this one doesn’t look like he needs a good wash - and sort out the grubby carpet and missing light bulbs this place would be just about perfect. We'll always come back, the food's too good not to and I live in hope that the blueberry cheese cake makes a reappearance. It was to die for.

1  Thank MissLolly1329
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Was so excited when heard about this place as close by and my husband loves both seafood and steaks , on first visit my husband ordered a rare fillet and myself the chicken but what arrived was a medium fillet and dry chicken breast but thought we would give it another go what a mistake .it was a family celebration so this made it even more disappointing when the starter , the lords platter ,was missing the fish cakes ,the rare t-bones were overlooked and tough and the mixed grill was burnt to a cinder we complained and new food was cooked meaning we all ate at different times no compensation or discount was offered no management apologised , I'm sorry but i if you specialise in steaks surely any professional chef knows how to cook it rare, will not be going back which is a shame as it has great potential to be a little hidden gem .