“Birthday disaster”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Birthday disaster”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We opted for the Red lion as had previously been on a Saturday evening and the food was ok, nothing fantastic but ok. We arrived and there were a few people in eating. I ordered the scallop and belly pork dish, my wife ordered the steak pie which I had on our previous visit. The food arrived after a little wait and it didn't look hot, which it was not. The pie crust was rock hard and very well done, inside the meat was dry and gravy non existent. It came with pea purée which looked shrivelled and dry, as was the potatoe, very poor. My fish was only warm the pork belly was tasty when you got some meat but two if the pieces were under done for my liking the fatty strip on the top was hardly cooked and the third piece I had on the plate was old withered and overdone!! The pork belly was all smothered in an apple sauce which over whelmed the whole dish. The scallops were greasy and the potatoe lumpy and cold. Very very poor. When a guy came to clear the table he asked if was ok we said not really and my wife explained about the dry over cooked meat which was dry, he said sorry you should have asked for gravy!! Cook the good correctly I say. Avoid midweek!!!!!!!

“Not the best”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Visited here over lunchtime with my 2 kids,it wasn't really busy but we still waited 45 mins we were starting to get very restless. The meals are value for money but 2 of the meals Wernt very good. My son had a beef burger it was burnt black,I wanted to send it back but he felt embarrassed (typical kid) other meal was the liver and could hardly cut it.
The staff were pleasent and the place itself is ok just the meals were a but of a let down.
Wouldn't be back In a hurry.

• Visited April 2014
“Slightly dissapointed ”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

When we arrived the place was busy and there was a good ambience, the staff were welcoming and we were quickly and efficiently shown to a table, our drinks and food order taken promptly. We chose Sunday roast although the
Menu was extensive and offered a really good choice for all tastes. When the food arrived it was presented well and the portions were good, although not a fan of frozen peas and noticed other diners vegetables included others which we did not receive. Generally the food was ok, liked the fact there was homemade Yorkshire pudding and both mash and roasties on the plate, unfortunately although there was both plenty meat and gravy I found them both to have a gelatinous texture which spoilt it for me. It's a shame because if the meat and gravy had been better I would have scored four stars due to all of the other positives this place has going for it. One final point is that although the pub has benefited from a refurbishment the toilets could be greatly improved.

1 Thank CandyM888
Durham, United Kingdom
“2nd time here within a few weeks, main course value for money, pudding course NOT VALUE FOR MONEY, it was like a tastier”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The main course was lovely, but twice in a row now been disappointed with sweet pudding. Had chocolate pudding previous, which was a very small portion and I thought they had got it wrong. I never said anything, because really enjoyed the main course. But once again it happened today, had a main course and pudding, and disappointed with portion size of pudding. It was a very small portion, tastier - NOT VALUE FOR MONEY.

• Visited April 2014
co durham
“Bit disappointed ”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My husband took me for a meal as a special treat. Can't help feeling disappointed at the overall experience. Only 3 tables eating in the restaurant and two waitresses, however the service was very lacking. The food was just average but certainly not what I expected for the expensive price. Sorry but I won't be rushing back

1 Thank chlest