“NICE PLACE But Not Cheaper...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shimoga
Vihangama Holiday Retreat
Ranked #14 of 21 Shimoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We had a good Experience in Vihangama Resort travelled as a couple.We stayed here for a day in March 2012.Ordered breakfast it contains Bread,butter,jam,juice,Akki roti,chutney.
Resort is easily accessible, just off the highway leads to thirthahally.
Great scenic location with the river just next to it.
The bathroom is good and well maintained and hot water is available.
Beds and bedsheets were also clean.
Rooms are decent in terms of facility.

Rooms/Beds are small and not value for money when compared to regular hotels.
Quality of food was good.

What I did not like:
There are no privacy in the Morning Time Bcoz Estate workers are grooming near room and one more thing is that estate workers entered to the Room by using Master Key for the purpose of cleaning without visitor's permission (When You are busy in sight seeing).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank srn_n

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We had a Good Experience in Vihangama.We( Me & My Spouse) stayed here for 2 days in March 2012.
Ordered breakfast only.Resort is easily accessible, just off the highway (Thirthally is 4km ahead).
Great scenic location with the river just next to it.The bathroom is good and well maintained and hot water is available.
Beds and bedsheets were also clean. Rooms are decent in terms of facility. but one disadvantage is The estate workers are entering to clean the Room by using Master Key without our perrmission whatever we had locked.No privacy in the day time the estate workers are grooming around Room.

Liked the least:

Rooms/Beds are small and not value for money when compared to regular hotels.
General Manager doesn't know how to talk to the customers.
Over priced, not worth the money
Quality of food was Ok.

Food: Typical malnad food. Taste was good but can't say it was excellent. For breakfast buffet included bread/jam/butter,Akki roti and chutney,coffee/Tea. Not much of variety for breakfast.

Note:Don't Damage/break down any items,They had also made a charge for that.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank srn1403
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The place is beautiful, clean and neat property but it is marred by the people who own it. I stayed at Vihangama last year and wanted to book it for next month. I first asked for 3 rooms and told Mr.Kanina that will transfer payment in a day or 2. He called me the very next day to check if I had made the payment, told him i am tied down with office work, as soon as I get free will transfer. The next day he calls me again stating, he has been receiving lot of enquiries and I should quickly make payment to confirm my booking, at this point I tld him, instead of 3 rooms I only want 2 rooms. He said I cant go back on my words and I have to make payment for 3 rooms as I had asked for it. At this point, I was already irritated, I told him that he has lot of enquiries qued up, so why cant he give the 3rd room to somebody who needs it. He kept pushing me to make payment for 3 rooms when I wanted only 2. I was giving him advance payment for booking from 5-Apr-2012 to 07-Apr-2012. I have all the rights to cancel my booking as I have not even made the payment still. I told him to F*** O** in my mind and told him politely that his request is not justified and told him I will find some other place to stay, he just abruptly disconnected my call. Greedy Man.

What if the place is beautiful, no customers will go there if the experience on the phone itself is pathetic. I am a soft skill trainer, I am ready to train this guy and his wife free of cost :P

Room Tip: Never go here
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank ShwethaJadav
Reviewed 27 March 2012

A calm,quiet,beautiful location blended with the humming of birds,freshness of air,eye catching scenic beauty of nature,the splendid mystery cave experience but with a tinge of bitterness added due to inhospitable nature of the owner,bad service quality where in after paying so much we are asked to serve ourselves,no proper communication of activities available,poor condition of the ecofriendly water heater ,all in all a very bad management...........at the same time with no proper billing system available it added a bit of doubt regarding the transparency of the way the management is run....may be with no proper taxing.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank shams_8
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Our experience of Vihangama started well before the trip. We had called up and made a reservation and were asked to make a 80% advance deposit. We were followed up 3 times in a day and even warned that the reservation will be cancelled if the money does not reflect in their account then. Surprising that they don't take into account time delays at some banks in having to register a new payee etc... Anyways, we made the payment, got a confirmation. Till the day we were to check in we got no calls and on that day while driving towards the place to checkin we thought we should call and inform that we are checking in. We were in for a shock, the owner seemed to have a 'Ghajini' moment, the name of the person who did the booking, the payment etc.. were all erased from the memory. We had to track step by step to get .. 'ooooh now I know'.. And well, with no apologies, we were asked to check in at 2pm instead the planned 12noon. Glad this we had other things to keep ourselves occupied.
After check in at 2pm, the quality of service continued to remind us about the bad choice we made. The quality of the room and the surroundings however overshadowed the service. Our room was overseeing the stream and the view was fabulous. Enjoyed a day stay there and when checking out, we were told that the owner is not in office and we need to wait.. we were made to wait again for 2hrs!!! You can imagine the feeling when that's the last day our of your 4 day outing and looking to get back home....

Room Tip: The rooms overseeing the streams have a great view and the rooms are newly done, so have a very good...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Arun N
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Vihangama property by the river is beautiful, too good to be true. The villas by the river edge is fantastic, feels almost 5 star. Service is terrifying, pathetic. Food is pretty average. If I were to stay there again, i would think twice.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Indian_Roller
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Good: Very scenic location. Very clean and nicely furnished 2-bedroom villa
Bad: Very unfriendly owner (Mr. Kanena) who is totally inflexible and does not care about guest satisfaction. Reasons below.

1) Booked the 2 bedroom villa for my family and friends' family (4 adults+kids). At the last minute we decided to take along our baby sitters (since we have young kids). When I informed the owner over the phone on the day of arrival that we would need an extra bed in each room (just like what we did in other places we stayed during our road trip) he said that is not allowed and that he would arrange for another room at Rs 1500. I said ok. When we reached the resort, and late at night (9 pm) he informs me that Rs 1.5K room not available and you have to take Rs 3K room. I said that is too expensive and if he can arrange for the bed in our room (there was place in the room and they give extra beds on request for kids at Rs 500 per bed). He said as a principle he will not allow the two extra maids to stay in room. He suggested that I take the two maids to a nearby town and put them up there - I told him that these are single girls who are entrusted to us by their parents and since I have "principles" too I would rather pay him Rs 3K extra, which I ended up paying.
2) He had earlier asked how many people for dinner and I said 6. It so happened, that we were all very hungry upon arrival and so ordered snacks from them (paid) and ate them around 6:30 pm and so by the time resorts dinner was ready 8:45 pm, two people had gone off to sleep (we had driven 8 hours to reach their place from Goa that day). But, the very "principled" manager said that he will charge for all 6 people - again this is their policy which was explained post the incident.

Anyways, to be honest, I'm not worried about the extra Rs 2K or so this guy made off me. I would have gladly paid even Rs 3K extra for his double-bed villa (for which he charged only Rs 7K). It was more the attitude that "it is my way or the highway" and his total lack of hospitality or warmth (given that he is in the hospitality industry) that really ruined my otherwise peaceful vacation. But, having said that, the place is indeed really peaceful and beautiful. If you don't make any changes from your plans (in terms of number of people, number of days, how many people will eat a meal at the resort, etc.) I would still recommend giving it a shot. Who knows, after reading this review (which I plan to email him) and all the other ones that point to the same owner issue, maybe he will become hospitable for a change.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank adanie2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shimoga
Royal Orchid Central, Shimoga
#1 of 2 in Thirthahalli
Akash Inn Shimoga
Akash Inn Shimoga
#3 of 48 in Shimoga

Been to Vihangama Holiday Retreat? Share your experiences!