“A bit clumsy, but an excellent place to stay in Shimoga”

Royal Orchid Central, Shimoga
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Shimoga
Bangalore
“A bit clumsy, but an excellent place to stay in Shimoga”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Pros: A very good hotel. Excellent place to stay in the entire district perhaps.

Cons: No clear tariff, limited parking space.

The tariff isn't clear - we were told it would cost us Rs. 3000 per night when we checked on phone, but when we went there they informed us it was Rs. 3500 per night. We had to then insist about the earlier price quoted to us. We were later bumped up to a room with bath tub which wasn't bad, but we never used the bath tub anyway. There was no fitness center although it was advertised in the welcome note.
They have a very small parking space beside the building. There was almost no space left when we got there and we were told that the visitors to the dine-ins had parked there vehicles there and that it would soon get emptied by night.

Other than that, the best hotel to stay in Shimoga! The staff were very helpful, great hospitality. Although they could use more trained staff w.r.t communication, the ones around there were very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was excellent. The best part of our stay there. Great hospitality from the staff looking after food and beverages. The food was tasty and excellent. The staff even helped by packing a toast on request for my pregnant wife who couldn't eat much by breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms with bathtubs aren't really well designed (the head rest of the bath tub is right beside t...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Chandan C, Manager at Royal Orchid Central, Shimoga, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Sir,

We thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear your appreciation for the product in general on offer.It was good to know that you enjoyed your breakfast during your stay with us.

We have also made a note of your observation about the parking space which often gets completely occupied with the cars of guests visiting our restaurants.Please accept my most sincere and heartfelt apologies for not being able to completely satisfy you on this aspect of our services.We are seriously looking for the available options and trying to find out a proper solution of the problem.

Once again thanking you for your feed back and we look forward to welcoming you back at Royal Orchid central, Shimoga.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Reviewed 9 April 2013

was here in the last week of March, was surprised to find a property of this kind in a small town like Shimoga...while i have been frequenting royal orchid and we have always liked their service, and offerings...this place was a super surprise! located ideally ( 5 mins from the central bus stand), rooms are great, and what we enjoyed the most

Room Tip: Pls note : there is NO swimming pool at the property
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Seetha B
Dear Ms.Seetha,

Candolim
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We had seen this place on the net the previous night at a price of Rs2700. We were travelling by bike from Candolim to see Jog Falls and then stay either at Sagar or Shimoga on the way to Bangalore. We had some minor hassles as we booked in as they wouldn't give us the Internet rate and wanted Rs3,400, but they did allow us to use their free internet and we booked it online at Rs2,800.

Room was excellent as was service. The bar and restaurant were above average but breakfast was poor. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying at Shimoga, location is excellent, and service very good

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Chandan C, Manager at Royal Orchid Central, Shimoga, responded to this review, 23 March 2013
Dear Sir,

We thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear your appreciation for all aspects of services and product in general on offer.We have also made a note of your observation about the online rate and we have already initiated the process of putting up better system in place to ensure rate parity.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I have been to Shimoga in the past & I always felt the need for better places to stay. This time my wish was fulfilled way beyond my expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. Right from quick check-in to very good rooms, excellent facilities in the room to good food, the place was top class. The staff was helpful & cheerful. Great show........ Keep going.....

Room Tip: All rooms are good. No specific choice as such
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Chandan C, Manager at Royal Orchid Central, Shimoga, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Sir,

It is our constant endeavor to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable stay with us and reviews like yours encourage us to walk that extra mile in creating delight for our esteemed guests.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Hotel is in the center of Shimoga and is very close to bus stand. I stayed here for 2 nights with my family on vacation. In general we had very good experience with cleanliness and maintenance. I had a not so god experience dealing with staff though very one of them was very polite. I had booked "Honey moon package with dinner, wine and cake included". This was clearly indicated in my online reservation confirmation. When I checked in, I was told that only breakfast is complementary. After some discussion with Manager and showing details of my booking, he agreed to honor the commitments in reservation. Unfortunately, I never received cake or wine. For dinner, I had to spend 15 minutes each day to the staff in the restaurant that it is part of my package. While checking out, I asked the staff in the counter to include my Royal Rewards number and he politely refused by telling it can be entered only during check in. When I again discussed with Manager, he told it can be entered and also asked me to write detailed feedback on my experience and problems. For all these I received an email after return with lot of nice words and apologies but nothing more. In a way I feel cheated since, promised facilities were never delivered.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Sir,

We thank you for sharing your feed back regarding your last stay with us. It was good to know that you found the maintenance and cleanliness of the Hotel as per your expectation.

We have also made a note of your not so good experience with the communication level among the staffs.Please accept my most sincere and heartfelt apologies for not being able to completely satisfy you on this aspect of our services.I took it up very seriously with my team immediately after you brought this to our notice at the time of check out and now we have put in better system in place to avoid recurrence of such issues.

It is our constant endeavor to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and hassle free stay with us and we do understand how you would have felt on this account.Please be rest assured that your feedback is always taken with our utmost importance and we are committed to improve the quality of our services. I am also happy to inform you that Royal Rewards points have been credited to your account on 21st December 2012.

Once again thanking you for your feed back and we look forward to welcoming you back at Royal Orchid central,Shimoga.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Very comfortable, international-standards hotel with a good selection of restaurants. It's probably the only hotel with urban, 4-star comfort in this relatively remote region. We stayed here for about 3 nights and found it to be a pleasant hotel to return to.

Staff were very polite and helpful.

Good choice of restaurants which were pretty good value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Sir,

We thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. It was good to know that you were happy with our services.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 20 February 2013

The hotel is located at a walking distance from the bus stand and on the bustling BH road. The surrounding marketplace has rare options to offer either for shopping or eating-out. The rooms were spacious and well maintained. We stayed in the hotel for 2N/3D and spent most of the time outdoors and so the staff interactions were very limited. Complimentary buffet breakfast spread was good. For a small town like Shimoga, the dinner buffet though seems overpriced both for guests staying in the hotel or outsiders. All said and done, this hotel seems to be the best stay option available in Shimoga though a tad overpriced and does not live up to the Royal Orchid brand name.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Chandan C, Manager at Royal Orchid Central, Shimoga, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Dear Sir,

We thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

It was good to know that you liked our rooms and buffet breakfast at the Hotel.We have also made a note of your feedback about the pricing. Though we always try to ensure that our guests are getting good value for money spent but will re look at this aspect and definitely improve on it.

It is our constant endeavor to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and hassle free stay with us and we do understand how you would have felt on this account.Please be rest assured that we have taken your feedback with our utmost importance and we are committed to improve the quality of our services.

It will be my personal privilege to make your next visit's arrangement and welcome you back to Royal Orchid Central, Shimoga.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shimoga
Green View Clarks Inn
#9 of 46 in Shimoga
Akash Inn Shimoga
Akash Inn Shimoga
#3 of 46 in Shimoga

Been to Royal Orchid Central, Shimoga? Share your experiences!