“Wonderful”

Ranked #2 of 2 Yorkeys Knob B&B and Inns
Juneau, Alaska
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 8 February 2010

This was an awesome place to stay. You can't actually see the beach from the hotel, but it's about a one minute walk. The owners were very friendly and helpful, and didn't give us any trouble when our washing machine stopped working, they just replaced it. I will definitely stay here again if I go back to Cairns.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
scotland
Reviewed 1 February 2010

When we arrived we needed to buy some groceries Roy one of the owners drove us to the nearby shops as we had as yet not hired our car.Roy Adam and Tanya were the best hosts nothing was too much trouble for them. We would certainly return to this accomadation if we return to Cairns at a future date

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Nottingham
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Very welcoming and helpful hosts! Lovely rooms, and right on the stunning beach. We stayed with our baby, cooked for ourselves with food and wine bought from the shop a 5 minute stroll up the road.

The beach was perfect for us and our baby - calm, quiet and safe. The locals were freindly. And our hosts really helped us out when we couldn't get a taxi in a hurry to pick up our camper.

We'd love to go back someday.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
los angeles, california
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I loved my 6 night stay. Peaceful, clean and just beyond the gate next to the pool, only steps down a sandy path past some trees to the beach. The ocean is warm, clean and safe for swimming (stinger enclosure and patrolled area). Friendly, family oriented neighbourhood. Mostly locals walking dogs and families enjoying the sand and water (not at all crowded). A great location for exploring the surrounding areas. All major tours, excursions, etc., offer bus shuttle right from the hotel. I did some snorkeling on the reef departing from Cairns and Port Douglas, as well as the Kuranda-Skyrail adventure.The resort hosts are great and wil assist you in making tour arrangements. There is a food market within short walking distance (which is convenient since the rooms come equipped with kitchens) and a bus stop close to the hotel. I did not hire a car during my stay and travelled into Cairns CBD and surrounding suburbs using the local bus line. Drivers are courteous and helpful. There is a lovely pool and BBQ area as well as an on-site restaurant, although it was closed for remodeling while I was there (soon to reopen). This is an ideal location, close to all, yet away from the busier tourist areas. Rooms are spacious, offer great views and ocean breezes (I left the balcony doors open my entire visit). Plus have washers/dryers in room. Good value. Very affordable, especially considering the proximity to the beach. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Singapore
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed at the Golden Sands Beachfront Resort for five nights in beginning of July 2009, and absolutely loved it. Beautiful spot! Spacious apartment (one bedroom) and a sofa bed in living room, perfect for us, a family of four. You don't have a view of the Pacific from the big balconies in the apartment, but the beach is right behind the palm trees only a 2 minute walk away, and the beach is spectacular and very child friendly. Our hosts Tanya, Adam and Roy where extremely helpful, arranging all our tours and transportation to our outermost satisfaction. Yorkey's Knob is the perfect location for visiting Tjapukai and the Scienic Railway/ Kuranda/ Skyrail and Cairns is only a 15 minute drive away. You need help regarding transportation or hire a car, since it's pretty secluded. We had a nice dinner at the Yacht Club one night. It's a simple, genuine, peaceful resort, perfect for relaxation, without the stress of crowded fancy tourist traps. Cheers, Tanya and Adam, for making our Great Barrier Adventure even better!
Pernille and Peter, Emilie 6 and Rasmus 8, Denmark.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
s.wales uk
Reviewed 8 January 2009

What a lovely resort- clean, modern,smart ,safe such a pleasure to stay here. the pool was fab and Brian so helpful with trips and car hire it certainly made our xmas break so memorable- dont hestitate to book here............

Stayed December 2008
Afghanistan
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I travelled to the Golden Sands Resort while on military leave from Afghanistan. I researched and found the establishment online.
The words escape me how to describe just how good this vacation spot and accomodation proved to be. A first-rate beachfront apartment that was spacious, comfortable, clean, and located perfectly for a fantastic vacation in Queensland. Yorkey's Knob beach is a simple walk out the front of the resort which takes you past an elegant saltwater swimming pool on the resort grounds and a co-located restaurant which serves gourmet food.
The town of Yorkey's Knob is small in size, therefore very quaint, yet it has all that a person would need for a relaxing vacation. (i.e.grocery store, post office, boat club, three excellent restaurants, golf course, etc) However, Cairns is a short fifteen minute ride by public bus. Cairns has all that a larger city can offer and more. A great place to spend the day shopping or enjoy some nightlife at the casino or a local pub.
The most outstanding feature of the Golden Sands Resort are the resort hosts, however!! A husband and wife who are two of the most gracious people I have ever met. They were both extremely helpful with researching and booking any activity I wanted to pursue, Great Barrier Reef tour, skydiving, backcountry eco tour, you name it. They took the time and helped me select exactly what I was looking for with all of these activities. They also helped me save money while planning the various trips.
Beyond this, the cost to stay at the Golden Sands was very resonable. For the setting and the service, it was truly a bargain.
If you are looking for a nice , clean, relaxing setting that is surrounded by all the opportunity for fun a person could wish to have while on vacation, then the Golden Sands is the place.
I know I want to return to Queensland in the future and I all ready know where I'm going to stay. I found the best spot on my first try. This place has my highest recommendation.

• Liked — The resort is great all around and the hosts just make it even better.
  • Disliked — Having to leave.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank AfghanistanMike
Cairns Beach Resort
Cairns Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Holloways Beach
Mediterranean Beachfront Apartments Cairns

Been to Golden Sands Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!