“Avoid at all costs....”

Sunrise Apart Hotel
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This has to be the grottiest hotel I have stayed in. We stayed in a studio/apartment, the kitchen was poorly equiped and falling to bits, the blinds had blood splashed over them, none of the wall lights worked, holes everywhere in ceiling, very strong smell of cannibis on entering which never disappeared, bed linen not clean or fresh, no shower attachments. Breakfast was awful, burnt and not a lot to choose from, staff not very friendly either. I would not rate this a 3 star hotel. Very shabby, dated and rundown hotel.....AVOID at all costs.

Room Tip: book to stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Claire P

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed 5 days in Brussels.The hotel is near to markets and restaurants. Metro station Ribaucourt is across the street and from here you can go anywhere in town.We had an spacious,clean and heated apartment.The staff was friendly and discreet.Breakfast fresh,divers and rich.The kitchen was poorly equipped.We had to pay for accommodation on day of arrival.Finally it was a good choice .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GabrielPRA
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Having worked in Brussels for several years I have probably stayed in over 50 different hotels. This is the only one I have ever felt I had to move out of after just one night.
In an apart-hotel even in a 'studio' you would expect at least a microwave and fridge (this applies to every other apart-hotel Ive stayed in, in Brussels). Here, a studio is just a room. Note also that the cable tv advertised is also pure fiction. I also had no wireless internet available. The shower was broken and the shower did not drain. This had evidently caused a flood for a previous guest and the bedroom carpet was soaking wet. I can put up with most things, but this was the clincher in my decision to quit after one night. Having paid for 4 nights on check-in, I thought I was being pretty reasonable offering to pay for the one night Id stayed and just asking for the other 3 nights to be refunded. However, they refused to refund the money - saying I must request it through booking.com. Long story, short it took me weeks of battling to get this refund, even involving going back to the hotel in person some weeks later.

The room wasn't even particularly cheap - I'd paid something like 80 Euros per night.

In summary - this is the worst place I've ever stayed in Brussels, not just the hotel (which is poor) and the area (which is dodgy), but in terms of misrepresentation of the facilities and money-grabbing attitude regarding refunds - my advice is to avoid this place like the plague.

Note: The above is no reflection on staff who work here - they are very nice.

Room Tip: Insist on seeing your room before parting with any money.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ArthriticToe
Reviewed 18 July 2012

After reading the reviews....... found it fascinating peoples reactions..... Given the fact that Hotels.... not just in Brussels but gernerally in Europe are very costly..... taking the price of this hotel into consideration.... I would say it is Brilliant..... I specified in my booking i wanted a space with a kitchen facility... There is an elevator.... tho i was only a flight up..... The heating was on... nice and toasty tho cold outside..... Comfy beds... all the towels, soap bath mats... etc etc..... I prefer cooking myself often than going out alone to eat.... Many wonderfull ethnic food shops.... right near a metro.... Great selection for breakfast.... The family who owns it are lovely as was the staff.... They helped me return to the airport, while there was a transportation strike going on..... The tv, was flatscreen....Dutch, French and English.... everything functions.... Really folks, for this price.... What do you want? Personally i was ecstatic.... and intend to book it again on my next trip thru Brussels... It had everything i needed, in an home atmosphere and spacious enough to walk around.......... Excellent.

Room Tip: If you want a kitchen... be sure to ask..... They are very accomodating....
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LeCybersam
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Apparently and following the comments there are different types of room. Mine was everything but aparthotel: no kitchen, no stove, no microwave and even no table at all, so if you need to work on your laptop you will do it on the bed. The room was big and clean, on the backyard so very quiet. The bed was surprisingly good, the linen is clean. The flat TV screen on the wall was smalller than my laptop screen so impossible to watch really. The breakfast is very good: I guess the owner is Turkish because it is kind of turkish breakfast with lot of cold cuts, but eggs and sausage as well (didn't try as looked untasty), some nice features as excellent small breads and fresh and good pastries, decent orange juice and choice of herbal teas even if there was no straight black. All is buffet so you can esat as much as you can.
All in all the main reproach is that it is not what it says it is ( aparthotel), the wifi is very difficult to capture, worked really in one place in my room near the door sitting on the floor, no table in the room and located far from everything but metro is literally in front of the door. It is hugely overpriced as well. Nothing bad with this place if you need just a bed, good breakfast and ready to stay in uncharming room but there is a lot of nicer places in Bruxelles.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank jhc019
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This hotel is easy to reach as it is on one of the metro lines from Gare de Midi, the international railway station in Brussels. The area is slightly run down, but I didn't feel unsafe walking the streets in the evening or coming back on the metro.

The hotel itself is on the main street which can give rise to traffic noise. I was on the top floor which is reachable from the lift on the fourth floor by a flight of steps, which were quite steep. My room only had a sky light that was out of my reach so I was unable to either open or close it, and it had no curtains to shut out the light. This lead to the room becoming extremely warm during the day and as well as the no way of making it dark at night. The lighting in the bathroom was quite poor so I made use of the mirror in the bedroom.

Because of the wooden stairs there was quite a bit of noise when people came back at night but overall the soundproofing is good.

The staff were friendly, the breakfast adequate, and all the facilities worked well. Wifi was free. They also offer a transfer service to and from the airport if needed.

With the proviso not to expect too much, this hotel is quite okay for a short stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first four floors which are accessed by the lift.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Cappacino_Girl
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Came to town for a stag do and rented the apartment room with 2 double rooms. We only payed 100 Euros between all 4 of us, so it was only 25 Euros per head, and we were only staying one night.

We were expecting bad, but it was a place to sleep in for a few hours after a boys night out, so we weren't that bothered. When we got there, we waited at the bar having a beer (6 beers in total, 17 euros). The staff weren't the friendliest or most helpful I've seen around, but hey, we weren't needing advice on what to visit or do while we were there, so we weren't bothered. We joked around about having "room 101" and when we got to it, eventually were surprised... genuinly.

Large appartment, with the entrance going into the dining area with a kitchenette, from there you could access the shower room , a large living room with ugly sofas, and one twin room and a double room.

Lighting, just strip office lighting, ceiling was also office building style, and curtains, well, not really curtains, just vertical strips of thin fabric which let all the light in.

The most amusing of all for us was, in a very surreal creepy way, the fact that half the ceiling was missing in the double room, and the seemed to be a splash of blood on the "curtains" in the twin room (was probably ketchup or something, we hoped).

The WORST of all was the following morning when we went down for breakfast and found, no juice left, and no water visible. So we asked the staff if they could bring out more juice, they said they had run out, so we said, ok, no problem, just some water would be nice then, to which they replied "I'll go out and buy some juice, will be back in 3 minutes"... 5 minutes later we asked them for water again, they replied that the guy would be back in a minute... 5 minutes later we said, look, we only want some tap water, so they gave us a couple small bottles of water looking quite grumpy about it.

Check out the photos, I'm glad we stayed at this place, because we wanted a fun experience, and weren't going with the idea of sleeping at the best hotel in town.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank jodydeath
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
#82 of 199 in Brussels
Eurocap Hotel
Eurocap Hotel
#1 of 1 in Jette

Been to Sunrise Apart Hotel? Share your experiences!