“Better than most !”
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I say better than most because it is a pub and more often than not pub meals are very poor. This establishment is a cut above the norm, with very good fresh home made burgers as one of the very acceptable dishes. I haven't tried the aged stakes yet but I will do soon, the only thing preventing this so far is that I can rarely find anywhere where 28 day aged is as advertised and I've lost the appetite for gambling £20+ on being disappointed. I hope I'm not wrong when I try one here !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian100448

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We ate here a while ago and found the menu very expensive. On a Sunday there are no Sunday roasts which was a bit strange. The food we ordered was ok but pricey for what it was, not a good kids menu either this was very limited.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank luckystarWiltshire
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My partner and I stayed here on a weekend visit, especially to see the 5* Severn Bore which as it turned out was a bit of a disappointment, unlike the Ship Inn which most certainly wasn't. The hosts were extremely welcoming and friendly, we stayed in Room 6-a lovely big room with a super view across to the river and a very comfortable four poster bed. We dined in the restaurant on the Sunday evening and could not recommend the food highly enough - wonderful fish and chips and the chocolate salted caramel nut dessert was heaven! We can highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Room 6 is on the top floor,a quiet and very spacious room, comfortably furnished with bonus of 4 pos...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank birthdaycub
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We also stayed at The Ship Inn to see the Severn Bore and couldn't have asked for a better base to do that and also to explore the Forest of Dean. We were in Room 2, a lovely, comfortable, spacious room with views over Newnham's pretty rooftops to the River Severn. We ate both lunch and dinner in the Inn, superb in quality and quantity and in such very charming surroundings. The breakfast was just perfect and the hosts really couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming. We had a lovely stay and would definitely return. Thank-you for a perfect break!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband was lucky enough to win raffle tickets for a meal at this hotel. It's a quaint and attractive looking building from the outside and the inside, has a friendly, homely pub feel to it. The owner and his partner were very welcoming, even offering a taster for a lager that my husband had never tried before.

The food was good quality, nicely cooked and with generous portions, it was certainly enough to satisfy mine and my husbands healthy appetitie. Whilst we were there, two men were about to take the Moby Dick challenge (a highrise burger and chips) which added to the jovial and friendly atmosphere. I guess the benchmark for any eating establishment is, would you back there? Our answer to that, would be a definate yes! If you want relaxed meal in a pub atmosphere, then the Ship Inn is well worth a visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rose B
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I went to see the Severn Bore and stayed at the Ship Inn Newnham for two nights bed and breakfast. Top class room ( no 1 ) lovely view , very comfortable bed, I wish mine at home was as comfortable! The hosts were lovely, nothing was too much trouble for them. Would highly recommend this hotel for a weekend break with a viewing spot for the Severn bore just a short stroll away.

Room Tip: Room number one was beautiful, clean and warm
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My partner and I decided to stay at the Ship Inn for its proximity to the River Severn as he was keen to try his hand at surfing the Severn Bore. We had a lovely experience, our room was beautiful, large with a four poster bed and a great view over the Severn. Despite arriving late and the kitchen being closed, the chef kindly rustled us up the most delicious fish and chips with beer batter made from the pubs own beer. After a successful surf the next morning we enjoyed a fabulous full English before heading out to Bristol. We will definitely look at staying here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room six, big room, four poster and nice view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newnham-on-Severn
The Speech House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Littledean
Blaisdon House B&B
Blaisdon House B&B
#1 of 1 in Blaisdon

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!