“Great for first time skiing with the kids”

Ski Snow Valley Barrie
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Minesing
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had a great experience. The learn to ski and the ski and play worked great for me and my 5 and 7 year old. I thought it would be very difficult to manage two little ones. But I was able to ski on my own and go back and forth to take pictures of their first ski experience. The staff were great. I felt safe leaving my children in their care. The staff were warm, friendly and professional! I would recommend this to any parent(s) of young children.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"whole family"
"burger"

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Took our two children there on the holiday for snow activities. On the snowshoeing trail as we got to the peak - which is way too close to the backyards of the large homes there was a very very large dog without a leash. The dog kept on with a loud menacing bark and prancing around. We had to try and calm the kids down so they would not run and engage the dog in a chase. After about four minutes of us standing still and waiting for dog to calm down we had to slowly pass the dog.

What is scary is that our teenager often goes a few feet ahead of us on these trails and would have probably run and therefore overpowered by the dog.

We then called the general manager the next day to complain about this. He did not even apologize and then he claimed he would have called back and let us know if he found the same situation on the trail. He did not have the courtesy to call back.

3  Thank ann j
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My family and I usually go to Lake Tahoe or Colorado each year so the kids can see snow. We live in San Diego which can really spoil the kids with the great weather so we always want them to see snow each year and go tubing.

This year I had to come up to work in my office in Toronto a few days during their winter break so rather than our usual vacation spots we came up to Ontario. I had NO idea that there were ANY ski hills in Ontario. In fact, when I told my friends I was going to go skiing in Ontario with the kids they joked that the mountains near my house in San Diego were probably bigger.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, the tubing hill was VERY good. Steeper than most of the hills we've gone to in Colorado for tubing. The kids LOVED it. Fortunately they are over 42 inches tall. As someone else mentioned, they seem to be strict as they asked the kids to get measured. The kids have been tubing since they were 1 years old so they aren't scared of large hills.

There were about 5 hills to go down and it was well run. You can go down a maximum of 4 tubes at a time. Each person sits in their own tube but you can go down with your kids by holding the tubes together. SUPER fast runs that were great.

The kids (5 and 4 years old) also took private ski-lessons for the first time this year and the instructors are VERY good. We were pleasantly surprised how well the kids did for their first time. The first day we had Stephanie and the 2nd we had Patricia. Both were good but Patricia was especially good and it was clear she specialized quite a bit with young kids. She said she works with 4 and 5 year olds on the weekends.

They have 2 very small beginner hills for kids. One with a magic carpet and the other with a tow rope up. After two private lessons, our daughter was already going up on green runs up the chair lift. The mountain isn't too big. They have just a few and they aren't too steep but they did have a few blue runs and a black run.

If you're traveling with young kids it is perfect if they are just starting. They had a chalet with food area both near the tubing hill and near the ski hill as well. I read another review where someone said there was no seating but we found seats. It WAS crowded as Canada was playing the USA for the Women's Gold Medal in the Olympics and even with it crowded we still found seats.

Probably if you are used to bigger hills and not with kids you might be bored but with young kids it was great. VERY affordable compared to most ski destinations. Both lift tickets and also rentals were affordable. Also, the private lessons were probably the best deal of all. They had semi private 75 minute lessons for kids. $79 for the first and $29 for a second child which was great.

Both times they were late but they made it up on the back end so the kids didn't lose any time. If you can, I'd request Patricia for kid's ski lessons if they are younger. I can't rave enough about her.

1  Thank saintba
Reviewed 20 February 2014

my family and i have been going to Snow Valley for over 20 years. We all learnt how to ski there (they have the biggest and the best ski school in ontario), and now we are teaching my neice and nephew to ski there too. Can't recommend it more!

2  Thank Bronwen F