“Quirky historic house in lovely area”
Review of Frampton Court

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frampton on Severn
Frampton Court
Reviewed 6 June 2012

First view of house and grounds showed this was not the usual B & B. Fabulous setting of historic mansion house in its grounds. Also centrally placed in gorgeous village. Access to room only after 5pm so rather late. Hall is full of history and definitely something you either like or do not. Bit spooky for me although stairs lovely. We had lovely bright room, the Clifford, looking over grounds and lake at back of house. Room full of period detail with enormous fireplace. Bathroom large but door to it would not close so privacy an issue. A door stop was provided but had to be used from bedroom side so not always possible to use. An internal lock on door would be good idea! Bedroom could only be locked when you are in it, so no securing the room when you leave it which we found rather unusual. You generally have to go down to a lower floor to exit and enter house which was very old and musty and unpleasant to me, though I suppose some may find it all intriguing due to the age of the mansion. Breakfast is adequate and all guests sit at long table in dining room. This may not appeal to all. We prefer our breakfast to be quiet and at a private table. Overall, an interesting place to stay in a lovely spot, but would not suit those of us who like our 21st century comforts rather than historical detail.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BerylJean
Gillian K, Manager at Frampton Court, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thank you for your interesting review. It certainly puts us in an historical context. The house is over 300 years old. It was updated to a Palladian Villa in 1732, before that there was a Jacobean house here. We do not find the house at all spooky and many people are amazed to find such a homely atmosphere in grand surroundings.
I am pleased to add that the bathroom lock is being fixed as I write, it is not easy as it is the original Georgian one!
The issue of bedroom door, outside locks has only arisen once before in the 9 years I have managed the house, we regard them as unnecessary in this authentic country house atmosphere but do welcome comments.
General access to the house is by the downstairs lobby. This is an essential room to a house like this as it is also a boot room for wet dogs and wellies. It also has some of the original Jacobean furniture, which is not to everyone's taste, but as you say, quite intriguing for some. We cannot use the grand front door all the time as here is only one enormous Georgian key!
We are currently wondering, if our guests would prefer individual breakfast tables rather than one long one. The debate is whether:

a) to provide the country house 'Downton Abbey' experience.
or
b) a more individual hotel like experience.

All comments are welcome as the jury is still out.

Gillian Keightley
House Manager.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

From the moment you ascend the crumbling golden stone staircase you are entering an exquisite
plot of untouched eighteenth century Englishness. Looking out across the park at the geese grazing amongst the willows touched something almost genetic in my love for this land. I slept in perfect peace in a bed hung with 17th century embroideries and an ancient tapestry on the wall.
We were made to feel very welcome and we were looked after with warmth and tact. Frampton Court and its associated buildings are gorgeous the village is charming. I fell a little in love with our hosts Janey and Rollo Clifford. All good.

Room Tip: All the rooms are delightfully grand but the tapestry room was lovely
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Grayson P
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed in the Manor, and it's ravishing and magical, lovely crumbly old furniture, tapestries, oak panelling, stunning visually, full of amtmosphere and that lovely smell of centuries of polishing and burnishing wood (but with all mod cons as well). Our hosts, Janey and Rollo, couldn't have been more charming to us, and we were an odd party, working locally on a television shoot and so with a number of quirky requests. As a glimpse of old aristocratic Britain, it really couldn't be bettered. Good breakfasts too.

Room Tip: Ask for the tapestry room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I cannot recommend having a stay at Frampton Estate enough. Perfectly kept grounds of a historic Manor House, with wonderful guest service and inconceivably perfect views and rooms. Not to mention the breakfast was to die for. All cooked with love and made from scratch!

I've lived in the states all my life and have only ever seen places like Frampton either in books or movies. I didn't think they really existed, but trust me they do. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed here last summer for an event. The two pros were that the grounds were beautiful and the food was decent. The cons... first, I'm allergic to down, I asked for hypoallergenic bedding; they replaced a pillow. The other pillow and the duvet were still down. Therefore, I got no sleep because I was having asthma attacks all night long. Second, there was no hot water and when we complained, the staff's response was, "the people before you were fine." Nice for them, not so much for me. Third, it was about 4 degrees (celcius) outside and there was no heat on. This was particularly unfortunate because it forced me to use the down duvet that I was allergic to. Perhaps if the heat was on, I could have used the blanket. Fourth, the mattress had springs literally coming out of it and poking me to the point that I had to lay upside down on the bed to avoid them. Fifth, the staff was extremely rude. They have very clear rules about not taking any pictures inside the place- ever. The place is beautiful, too bad you can't share that with anyone. No one not staying there can come in, so if you're visiting relatives and want to run up to your room to get something, they have to stand outside. They made absolutely no effort whatsoever to help or please their guests in any way. The entire time, I felt that I should be expected to cater to them and their wishes rather than the other way around. They care about their grounds and house and not even remotely about their guests.

This was truly the worst place I have EVER been to in my entire life. The next time I go to Frampton on the Severn, I will stay elsewhere in town, or even 30 minutes out of town.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
11  Thank Cubess
Gillian K, Owner at Frampton Court, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Frampton Court is a private, family owned house run for Bed and Breakfast, since 1987. (It is not an hotel) We take immense trouble to make our guests welcome and comfortable. The house and its interiors are magnificently handsome and we make every effort to match up all aspects of our visitors experience to this high standard. Our Visitors Book is a testament to the appreciation expressed by guests.
Specifically, the double rooms have super king beds with very comfortable medium/firm mattresses. All rooms have efficient wall-mounted heaters, easily operated by guests. Even in July, usually the warmest month in England, the heaters can be used. We have full sets of non feather bedding available when requested. As a private house we do not normally allow photography within the house without prior permission. Equally, for security reasons, we are careful to permit only guests or known visitors into the house without prior notice.
Our staff are local, friendly and take pride and pleasure in the smooth running of the house and helping our guests to have a very special, enjoyable, comfortable and memorable stay at Frampton Court.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

For the purpose of paying guests, Frampton Estate comprises a 16th century five bedroom Manor House and an 18th Century four bedroom self-contained Orangery. In the Manor House, the family have maintianed the ground floor oak panneled rooms and staircases and have converted five first floor rooms into ensuite bedrooms. We have stayed in the bedrooms in the Manor House for two or three weekends already and have plans to stay there another three or four times in the coming six months.

Each of the bedrooms is uniquely styled with perfect execution. The quality of the antique furnishings, the bedding, the bathrooms are all truly glorious and have forced smiles, 'ooohs' and 'agghhs' from us everytime we arrive. The bedrooms face out onto beautiful gardens and three of them face out onto a picturesque lake and so waking up and pulling back the curtains is a treat.

The Manor House is run by a lady called Gillian and the service really cannot be faulted. We are always greeted with a smile and shown to our rooms. If we need anything, we ask but otherwise we are left to our own devices, which is as it should be. The breakfast is something to behold. The breakfast room is a perfect little bolthole overlooking the lake and the breakfast, with homemade jams, breads, fruits cereal and the most magnificent cooked breakfast is utterly divine. We both look forward to our visit for that fact alone for weeks in advance.

When we go, we occupy ourselves with walks around the area. There are several pubs, a cricket ground, a nearby canal and the Severn estuary is not far away. Sometimes we head into Bristol which is 20 minutes, or to Cheltenham, which is about half an hour. For the most part however, being here for us is about relaxing in the area.

Tripadvisor won't let me rate this place six stars, but I would if I could. It's perfect.

James P

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamesPickavance
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Frampton Court is a perfect weekend retreat. Just the right combination of 'other timeliness' and mod cons, wonderful log fires, fresh flowers everywhere, views across the park and huge breakfasts! We were made really welcome - the Court is large enough to be different but cosy enough to feel like home. Treat yourself!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Been to Frampton Court? Share your experiences!