“Excellent lovely pub & a real gem”
Review of The Barley Mow

The Barley Mow
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Bonsall
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Barley Mow is a lively and eccentric Free House located in the beautiful village of Bonsall. Famous for the 'World Championship Hen Races', and for being the most likely place to be abducted by aliens according to UFO magazine ! Fine food, great ale & one of the best live music venues in the area !
Alfreton, United Kingdom
“Excellent lovely pub & a real gem”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Emailed last night to reserve a table for lunch today. Received a reply from Colette the landlady, even though she was away, saying it would be fine. Arrived for lunch a little early today and our table was ready and waiting. Colette had warned us that it would be busy and that we should be prepared for a wait. So many people in such a small space all waiting patiently in turn, sampling and ordering real ales, chatting and listening to Eddie behind the bar. We watched the towering burgers being delivered to the tables, smelling our food being cooked. When our lunch arrived, we were not disappointed, huge tasty locally produced sausages, and the lasagne was delicious. What a fine atmosphere ! And sunshine too - what more could we have asked for. All in all, a fine meal, in good company in the Derbyshire countryside. We shall return and hope to meet you next time Colette.

• Visited April 2014

“Friendly and Great Food”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visit the Barley Mow a few weeks ago. Very warm friendly welcome from a brilliant landlady (there's plenty could learn a lot from her). Scrumptious proper pub food - we both had the homemade lasagne. We'd definitely go back :)

Matlock, United Kingdom
“Excellent Meal”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I visited the Barley Mow last night with my husband and our meals were delicious. I had the hake in batter (a fish I had not tried before) and it was really good. My husband had the steak and ale pie and he loved it. It is a very friendly pub with a great atmosphere and a good selection of real ales. They also have music on Saturday nights and the bands are always excellent.

• Visited March 2014
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We stopped here at the start of our walk. Lovely cosy pub I was aloud to park in the car park during our walk as we stayed for a couple of drinks and some lunch. Staff are very polite. The land lady came down to introduce herself to us and tell us about things that the pub do :). Food was gorgeous I had the salmon and spinage fish cakes chips peas and salad ! Gorgeous real big pieces of salmon :).'my other half had the pie beginning with H can't remember the name he loved that I tryed some myself was very nice and our friend had the cheese burger he said it was cooked nice and the chips are to die for. Can highly recommend this we may go in the summer for the love band disco and may camp in the garden :)

Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great local pub”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Some friends and I visited The Barley Mow last weekend while staying in the area. It's a cosy little venue offering great food, drinks and live entertainment. Colette is a fantastic host, even offering to serve up some chip butties for some of our party who were arriving after they stop serving food at 9pm. They have a number of events on throughout the year (such as open mic nights, film nights, and even the Hen Racing World Championships) and it's definitely somewhere I'd go again.

• Visited March 2014